PCC

Humpy

Visit site
We had a comp yesterday in which only 4 of the 59 scores returned were 36 and over. And yet the PCC was 0. This doesn't seem right to me. Surely if that many players have failed to score their handicap then this indicates that it was a tough scoring day?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
We had a comp yesterday in which only 4 of the 59 scores returned were 36 and over. And yet the PCC was 0. This doesn't seem right to me. Surely if that many players have failed to score their handicap then this indicates that it was a tough scoring day?
Not necessarily, with the 95% cut and the Course Rating not being taken into account in the playing handicaps. Without seeing all the data as many as 25% or more could have played to the Handicap Index or near to it.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
We had a very similar result - major comp medal - from a field of 85 only 5 or 6 scores were nett level par or better but the PCC was 0. I don't know the exact figure but there were quite a few players who play off in and around scratch and they shot 4 or 5 over.

Conditions were actually pretty good for golf but our greens aren't great at the moment and there was some real tough pins which may have contributed to it.

Humpy

Visit site
Not necessarily, with the 95% cut and the Course Rating not being taken into account in the playing handicaps. Without seeing all the data as many as 25% or more could have played to the Handicap Index or near to it.
Good point although only an additional 6 people had 35 points so potentially played to handicap if they lost a shot after the 95% was applied.

wjemather

Visit site
Yep... rewind the lengthy debate from last year as to 36 points isn't par any more (please no!! :cry::cry:) and there you are! Have to factor back all the additional stuff introduced to make it easier to understand! :ROFLMAO:
36 points is still par - it just isn't necessarily playing to your handicap, and never was.

wjemather

Visit site
PCC is calculated based on expected score, not "play-to-handicap" score. Using Course Handicaps, for a lower handicapper this will be about 33-34 Stableford points (based on a Course Rating around par) and for higher handicappers their expected score is closer to 30 points.

As such, it should be expected to change a lot less frequently than CSS did.

Humpy

Visit site
PCC is calculated based on expected score, not "play-to-handicap" score. Using Course Handicaps, for a lower handicapper this will be about 33-34 Stableford points (based on a Course Rating around par) and for higher handicappers their expected score is closer to 30 points.

As such, it should be expected to change a lot less frequently than CSS did.
I knew it looked at expected score but didn't realise that these were potentially significantly lower than 36 points (I know 36 isn't par.....). And when I look at the scores again with this in mind over half the field had 31 points or more and would indicate why the PCC was 0.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had stroke play/handicap comp yesterday par 71 CR 70.8 one person had nett 2 under par, one had nett par everybody else over par nett

PCC +1.

This is the second comp this year that the PCC has increased so it does appear to work.