PCC to be reviewed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Difficult conditions today in the medal and only 14 out of 122 managed to play to nett CR or better (10 better). I’ve no idea how PCC is calculated but in the past I can easy imagine CSS going up. Wonder if there will be a PCC today.

Of course the above may be irrelevant and what matters are the changes in the HI of the 122…and that‘s an unknown to all but the system and algorithm.

Last edited:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As PCC is implemented as part of the World Handicap System is it just the UK that is getting exorcised by the seeming low response of the calculation (whatever it is). Presumably outside of CONGU there wasn't the same CSS under the old system.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As PCC is implemented as part of the World Handicap System is it just the UK that is getting exorcised by the seeming low response of the calculation (whatever it is). Presumably outside of CONGU there wasn't the same CSS under the old system.
Seems to me that that 'change' is the whole crux of the issue.
While, for Congu, almost the entire method of calculating/adjusting handicaps has changed from the previous method, this area is seen as one that should be 'equivalent'. I'm neutral on whether it should/shouldn't be 'more sensitive' (as the entire calculation method has changed), but would like to see the 'evidence' - as in charts of scores - either way.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct.
Seems to me that that 'change' is the whole crux of the issue.
While, for Congu, almost the entire method of calculating/adjusting handicaps has changed from the previous method, this area is seen as one that should be 'equivalent'. I'm neutral on whether it should/shouldn't be 'more sensitive' (as the entire calculation method has changed), but would like to see the 'evidence' - as in charts of scores - either way.
That's what EG is proposing to do.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If indeed it is applied less frequently, it could be that it doesnt need to be.

Firstly, the best 8 of 20 system has a discarding of anomolous scores in it anyway. Previously, every card contributed to your evolving hc.

Secondly, the influence of a shot pcc is reduced anyway in many cases. Previously it could provoke a nudge up by .1, or down by .1,.2,.3, or .4. Now the only nudge is 0.125.

Calculating a PCC to clearly justify 0.125 adjustments (for probably less than 40% of the field for whom that round will become a counting one) may need a stronger case than we were familiar with.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Difficult conditions today in the medal and only 14 out of 122 managed to play to nett CR or better (10 better). I’ve no idea how PCC is calculated but in the past I can easy imagine CSS going up. Wonder if there will be a PCC today.

Of course the above may be irrelevant and what matters are the changes in the HI of the 122…and that‘s an unknown to all but the system and algorithm.
Looks like no PCC applied.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
Since WHS came in ive not seen a PCC adjustment at our club..
Today we had a field of 164, 4 broke Par 66, 68, 69 & 69. 3 on Par. Middle of the pack 82nd 9 over.

Will wait for the official results tomorrow, surely PCC would move in this case?

So just seen the results and first time theres s PCC of 1.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Correct.

That's what EG is proposing to do.
So, presumably, that wasn't done before. Or was it simply brushed over in the 'rush' to get WHS in? I know it takes a bit of work, but not all that much - and the guys that established the process (seemingly Aussie guys did much of the work in this area) seem to be available.

As Backsticks posted above, the real effect of an adjustment is moderated by both the completely different selection for adjustment and the different calculation involved if it is. So it's not simply an exercise to 'standardise' each set of scores.