PC Connections…..

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think this may well be one of the most boring questions ever to be asked however maybe a techie can give me a quick answer……

I bought myself a new monitor, 49” ultra wide. Plugged it all in but noticed the max refresh rate was 72Hz even though the monitor can do double that. I then noticed that I was experiencing a lot of black screen episodes for brief seconds which was very annoying.

Anyway, after Googling with no joy and trying different DisplayPort cables I decided to try the DisplayPort connection lower down at the back of the PC, possibly in the back of the graphics card and not only has this cured the black outs I also get a refresh rate of 144Hz or thereabouts.

Anyway, my question is what is the difference between the DisplayPort, HDMI slots in the back of the main PC and those lower down in the back of the graphics card? I always assumed that these ports were all the same however after today it seems some are better than others.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Probably yes.

The ones at the top will be using the standard on (mother)board graphics. Whereas the ones lower down will be the output from the graphics card.

The result you are getting would be one I would expect.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you’re confusing your integrated graphics on CPU/motherboard with your discrete graphics card.

All modern CPUs/boards have some form of lower performance power efficient integrated graphics. You’re higher performance power hungry dedicated card is what’s needed to drive higher resolutions and refresh rates.

The blackouts were likely due to the integrated graphics chip having a bad time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you’re confusing your integrated graphics on CPU/motherboard with your discrete graphics card.

All modern CPUs/boards have some form of lower performance power efficient integrated graphics. You’re higher performance power hungry dedicated card is what’s needed to drive higher resolutions and refresh rates.

The blackouts were likely due to the integrated graphics chip having a bad time.
Not true these days Jim. Intel CPUs designated F and any AMD Ryzen that does not have a G designation do not have iGPU and require a discrete GPU.

Ryzen Vega iGPU can run 144Hz refresh rates at 1080p but I’m assuming this is something like a Samsung Odyssey G or similar which will be 1440p coupled with ultra wide resolution and even lower end discrete GPUs will struggle.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not true these days Jim. Intel CPUs designated F and any AMD Ryzen that does not have a G designation do not have iGPU and require a discrete GPU.

Ryzen Vega iGPU can run 144Hz refresh rates at 1080p but I’m assuming this is something like a Samsung Odyssey G or similar which will be 1440p coupled with ultra wide resolution and even lower end discrete GPUs will struggle.

I kind of knew I’d regret trying to keep it in basic terms but yeah, there are many possible configs available. Integrated graphics definitely is the problem here I’m sure though.

You just have to put your things in the right hole for a happy ending. 👍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I kind of knew I’d regret trying to keep it in basic terms but yeah, there are many possible configs available. Integrated graphics definitely is the problem here I’m sure though.

You just have to put your things in the right hole for a happy ending. 👍
I know what you mean about simple but it’s mad the amount of folk that buy something like an i5 11400F because it was cheaper than the K or non-K and then can’t work out why they’re getting no signal.

Definitely an iGPU issue in this case, gone are the days where plugging a PCIe GPU in would disable the iGPU if present. It’s one of the first settings I disable in BIOS if I build a system with a discrete GPU.

But it also proves that results can be interesting if you use the wrong hole…