Payne Stewart

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
When i was a young lad watching Payne Stewart i never really took to him. Always thought he was arrogant.

Looking back i now see a charismatic person who did things his way. Such a tragedy.

Wolf

Visit site
Used to love watching Payne Stewart, remember when he has his NFL deal and used to always wear colours of the different teams. Also some very big sporting moments from him towards other competitors. A real character and true gent of the game.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me Payne Stewart really stood out when he played Monty at Brookline - the abuse Monty got was disgusting and Stewart stood up to them alongside Monty

Yep. He may have been brash in his early years but became a class act later in his career. Had a flowing, willowy swing which was great to watch as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A huge loss to the game. I remember reading his biography... for all his brashness, he was a lovely guy beneath that exterior.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Payne Stewart was also one of the Americans who got what The Open was about and came over. Yes a bit cocky as a youngster, couldn’t we all be, but showed his true class with Monty as Phil said. Loved the 21 drive salute they did for him the following year at Pebble Beach. A character of the sort the game needs. One of the tour’s great practical jokers too, as Feherty can testify... 🤣🤣

User20204

Visit site
Loved Payne when he was around, loved his swing, his character, the manner in which he conducted himself, still recall watching the news feed of his last journey as they tracked it through the sky. Shed a tear watching his funeral and those speeches, Tom Lehman in particular.