Paying your membership fee

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry if this has been done before but just wanted to gather opinions.

Our club isn’t offering a member discount if you pay in full. With so many clubs going under I’m reluctant to do this but if I pay it on a credit card will I be fully covered if anything goes wrong?

Thanks in advance

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ask your golf club, ask your cc company but randomly asking people on the internet just seems a bit ridiculous.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club provide a discount if you pay in full up front - the discount being that you don't pay the interest and admin that comes from paying by monthly DD through Premium Credit.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most private members clubs don’t allow arrears so you have to pay up front, many offer a credit facility via a 3rd party but ultimately the club still get that up front and you pay a fee to the credit provider.

Asking a club for a discount because your paying up front is ludicrous and it’s no wonder clubs are going under.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most private members clubs don’t allow arrears so you have to pay up front, many offer a credit facility via a 3rd party but ultimately the club still get that up front and you pay a fee to the credit provider.

Asking a club for a discount because your paying up front is ludicrous and it’s no wonder clubs are going under.

totally agree, but i think i will ask Tesco next time we go shopping if i can have a discount if i pay in full:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
totally agree, but i think i will ask Tesco next time we go shopping if i can have a discount if i pay in full:)

I know it's a bit wild west up your part of the world but didn't realise we still bartering. Mind you when working in Skye as a student I'd maybe get someone coming in a wee bit short and desperate for a half and half - and he'd try a bit of bartering to get the cost down.

D

Deleted member 21258

Our club offers last years prices if you pay early and in full (I think that is what they offer).

Normally pay on credit card for hopefully some protection, if it does or not, I would still pay on credit(I dont expect ours to close, I quickly add. I always pay on credit card for everything due to the extra protection it may provide for any purchase)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What our club did this year was give away four ball vouchers to the first 20 members to pay up front before 1st march. Voucher can be given/raffled away or used by a member to take on three visitors. I missed out :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club offers last years prices if you pay early and in full (I think that is what they offer).

Normally pay on credit card for hopefully some protection, if it does or not, I would still pay on credit(I dont expect ours to close, I quickly add. I always pay on credit card for everything due to the extra protection it may provide for any purchase)

What are you hoping to get protection from by paying by CC?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
What are you hoping to get protection from by paying by CC?

Consumer Credit Act affords certain protection against such things as faulty good, unperformed contracts... depends on certain stuff, which I could remember the section of the act!! Paying by CC (Credit Card) could bring the purchase under the terms of the act.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Consumer Credit Act affords certain protection against such things as faulty good, unperformed contracts... depends on certain stuff, which I could remember the section of the act!! Paying by CC (Credit Card) could bring the purchase under the terms of the act.

Understand that but not sure ow it would be of benefit in respect of a years golf club subs.

If the club went under would CC payment guarantee your money back?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have golf insurance that covers this and if I am I’ll and can’t play.
about £40 covers everything worldwide.
I put £100 a month in savings acc and this pays my fees.
We get a free four ball if paying upfront.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Understand that but not sure ow it would be of benefit in respect of a years golf club subs.

If the club went under would CC payment guarantee your money back?

I doubt it, some card providers are removing this benefit which is probably time limited and then there would be the issue that you would have enjoyed some benefit until the point the club closed.....would all be messy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If it is a members club where you are a part owner, I would question if this would apply.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Just to clarify here. I mistyped the email and have only just looked at the replies now!

What I MEANT to say was.... our club HAS offered a discount if you pay upfront. If I pay by credit card and the club goes bust would I be covered?

Sorry to “RandG”, maybe next time don’t bother replying 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One point about paying by credit card is - is the cub interacting directly with the credit card company or is it going via an intermediary company such as Worldpay. If the latter you may not get the usual guarantees anyway.