Paul Dunne

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st outing out on the PGA Tour and made $125,000 finishing 13th. Earned himself an invite to the Waste Management Tourney, so good luck to him.

I wasn't sure his swing looked solid enough to compete given his last day performance at the Open last year, but he certainly seems to have the mental strength required.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
His experience at The Open has given him an interesting mix of belief he can play very well but also an understanding that it can all get away from him fast, so since then he has shown an ability to grind out a round, for example at the Qualifying School and at a few other events where has dug in well. He has a good head on his shoulders and will do well. Those top 20 finishes are important to keep the money and points flowing in. He is playing at Pebble Beach and then most of the rest of the year on the Euro Tour.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed, he was excellent at the Walker Cup too, an old head on young shoulders.

He might think well, but he doesn't (or at least didn't when I last saw him play) act well when it's not going his way.

Reminded me of Harry Enfield's teenage character Kevin and put me right off him.

I'm sure he's gutted :mad:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He might think well, but he doesn't (or at least didn't when I last saw him play) act well when it's not going his way.

Reminded me of Harry Enfield's teenage character Kevin and put me right off him.

Well, he is a pro now, and ground out decent finishes at Q school and this week. I think he has learnt from his Open experiences. We were all young once.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Add that to being about as slow as they come and hes not the easiest to watch imo. Have watched bits of him at the final open qualifying at Woburn (which he won 2 years in a row as an amateur!), a few holes at a time more than enough for me

Seems to definitely be a case of those coming out of US college system being what I would politely call overly methodical!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Indeed, he was excellent at the Walker Cup too, an old head on young shoulders.

He was flamin slow there though! Mate of mine was caddying for one of the US players against Dunne on the Sunday morning. It was mind numbing. Dunne and Hurley(?) were apparently warned on the 2nd fairway about slow play, think they even got put on the clock later on.

Thing is, after they did speed up, they actually played better!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thing is, after they did speed up, they actually played better!

Aint that always the way?!

Kinda does away with the arguement that if the pros caddies were allowed use lasers they'd be quicker, they had lasers at the Walker and I remember it being commented on many times how slow it was.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aint that always the way?!

Kinda does away with the arguement that if the pros caddies were allowed use lasers they'd be quicker, they had lasers at the Walker and I remember it being commented on many times how slow it was.

Talking with Keith (caddie) and he was saying that they weren't allowed to give their players any distances and weren't meant to give them clubbing advise either. Think it was to make it fair all round and puts more onus on the player.

During the Sunday foursomes though on the front nine each GB&I shot went: Both GB&I players laser the pin a few times just to make sure, have a discussion, laser it again, one go off to get a club whilst the other one quadruple checks that Yes the laser was on, more discussion, change clubs, what was the distance to the pin again? Best re-check it with the laser. Back to original club, hit, come up short.

Whereas the Yanky doodle dandies were: laser, get club, hit.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both GB&I players laser the pin a few times just to make sure, have a discussion, laser it again, one go off to get a club whilst the other one quadruple checks that Yes the laser was on, more discussion, change clubs, what was the distance to the pin again? Best re-check it with the laser. Back to original club, hit, come up short.

Whereas the Yanky doodle dandies were: laser, get club, hit.

...and then they lost.

:)

Na I'm only mesing, awful carry on, sounds like as usual a percieved solution is only as good as the attitudes of those who are to carry it out.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just hope he doesn't get stigmatised with being a slow player in a sea of very slow players on the various Tours, rather than being recognised for his talent - but I agree he needs to get a move on. The US Collegiate system does seem to churn out systemised and deliberate players - Matt Fitz had the sense to drop out after one semester!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had the pleasure of being very close to him (caddying for his partner) during the Palmer Cup a couple of years ago. Excellent temperament, so I am not surprised that he has 'learn't' from his last round at The Open.

Big future and good to see it's happening pretty quickly!

Another with a big future, who I observed similarly, is Ricardo Gouveia. Missed getting his ET card by 1 shot 2 years ago, but won the Challenge Tour title last year - winning the Final to go from 2nd at the time. Also had a solid start to ET events! Unfortunately, the guy I was allocated to, who hit some amazing shots but seemed a bit suspect in the temperament department seems to have disappeared.

Indeed, there's considerable stagnation around distances, with varying regimes on Lasers etc, seems to have caused more problems than it has saved. The Euro team, in that Palmer Cup (Ryder Cup style match for Collegiate players) won all but 1 of the Singles matches, quite a few of them being influenced by the Americans being 'put on the clock' - something we actually discussed (probably at Captain Andrew Coltart's insistence) before the round!

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
GM seem to have a canny knack of releasing player interviews at appropriate times don't they? He seems to be a well balanced player from what I've seen/read, although I hadn't encountered the slow play thing before. Let's hope he can nip it in the bud.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if he keeps making top 20s and qualifying for next weeks tourney he should stay out there and rid the crest of the wave for as long as possible.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
His experience at The Open has given him an interesting mix of belief he can play very well but also an understanding that it can all get away from him fast, so since then he has shown an ability to grind out a round, for example at the Qualifying School and at a few other events where has dug in well. He has a good head on his shoulders and will do well. Those top 20 finishes are important to keep the money and points flowing in. He is playing at Pebble Beach and then most of the rest of the year on the Euro Tour.

couldnt agree more.
Cant really see a weakness in his game

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lets give the lad a chance to find his feet on tour before we start looking to find fault. He's a young talent who clearly has a bright future. Superb performance at the open and someone who with the right guidance can go onto be a winner of top tournaments and regular ryder cup player

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets give the lad a chance to find his feet on tour before we start looking to find fault. He's a young talent who clearly has a bright future. Superb performance at the open and someone who with the right guidance can go onto be a winner of top tournaments and regular ryder cup player

Nah, the modern social media way is to label someone as quickly as possible for whatever triviality and then use it as stick with which to beat them ad infinitum.