Patrick Reed

D

Deleted member 15344

Improved his lie - punished with a penalty

If there is a side on angle will be interesting to see but I don’t see pros deliberatly cheating etc because they know how many cameras are on them

Only he will know his intentions everything else is a guess

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wonder how the other tour players will feel about all of this?
Remember Tiger with his scoop at the same event last year.
Remember kuchar everywhere
Remember all of those dodgy 'last crossed the hazard' calls
Remember the backstopping that happens every week (as long as it's your mates)
Remember that a significant number of drivers tested the other week were illegal.
I'm guessing that a decent number of them are just relieved it wasn't them that was caught.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Clearly improving his lie to quite an extent, he does it twice both from different angles removing sand directly behind the ball allowing for both a clearer backswing path and also to get underneath the ball with less resistance. It's quite extraordinary when he says he isn't aware this is breaking any rules, it's a deliberate and an exact act. In my view deserves closer scrutiny and more punishment than a 2 shot penalty. Its undefendable in my opinion.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clearly improving his lie to quite an extent, he does it twice both from different angles removing sand directly behind the ball allowing for both a clearer backswing path and also to get underneath the ball with less resistance. It's quite extraordinary when he says he isn't aware this is breaking any rules, it's a deliberate and an exact act. In my view deserves closer scrutiny and more punishment than a 2 shot penalty. Its undefendable in my opinion.
The 2 shot penalty is within the games rules and should be applied.
However the professional game on occasions have other rules and perhaps this is a bit harsh but the positional purse should be forfeited and given to charity.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad to see he got punished but how dd he think it was right or he'd get away with it. I had a very low opinion of him anyway and this has reinforced that view. I simply can't think how he thought it could possibly be legal

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone who addresses the ball and doesn’t do it lightly (god knows how you define that!) is probably guilty.
It has been defined under the rules for a long time - you are permitted to ground the club and bring it's weight to bear. You are not permitted to apply additional force to press it down.

This is why you will see most people (who know the rules) make a point of placing the club head with their hands almost open, then firm up their grip whilst retaining its position.

Obviously in this situation the player is accused of improving their lie by moving material they aren't permitted to move at that position on the course...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has been defined under the rules for a long time - you are permitted to ground the club and bring it's weight to bear. You are not permitted to apply additional force to press it down.

This is why you will see most people (who know the rules) make a point of placing the club head with their hands almost open, then firm up their grip whilst retaining its position.

Obviously in this situation the player is accused of improving their lie by moving material they aren't permitted to move at that position on the course...
This is how I address, although I don’t think the club even applies it’s own weight. Although I have seen stuff and thought that is very close and on the tv as well

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are some great quotes coming through from pros, all universally seeing it for what it is. When he takes the club back first time he can see the sand had been smoothed out, then he does it again ?. Unless he was blindfolded it is inconceivable to think he was unaware.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the difference to what he did and someone spending longer than three minutes looking for their ball, finding it after three minutes and then continuing playing with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the difference to what he did and someone spending longer than three minutes looking for their ball, finding it after three minutes and then continuing playing with it.
If the person is aware that they spent longer than 3 minutes then absolutely nothing. If you knowingly break a rule you are in the same boat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the person is aware that they spent longer than 3 minutes then absolutely nothing. If you knowingly break a rule you are in the same boat.
Picking up on this..
He said that he thought he was far enough away from the ball so that what he was doing wasn't improving his lie....
So, if he's accepted the penalty but was convinced that what he was doing didn't contravene a rule....is he still cheating?
Not coming down on his side at all..just looking for reasons..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Picking up on this..
He said that he thought he was far enough away from the ball so that what he was doing wasn't improving his lie....
So, if he's accepted the penalty but was convinced that what he was doing didn't contravene a rule....is he still cheating?
Not coming down on his side at all..just looking for reasons..
It then comes down to whether you believe that is a feasible excuse. At the moment pretty much the only person who has played golf that buys into that is a Mr P.Reed.

This is very reminiscent of the Lexi Thompson one for me. The player can make excuses but when you see it you can't help but go 'whooaa'.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It then comes down to whether you believe that is a feasible excuse. At the moment pretty much the only person who has played golf that buys into that is a Mr P.Reed.

This is very reminiscent of the Lexi Thompson one for me. The player can make excuses but when you see it you can't help but go 'whooaa'.
Yeah, i agree , we can only take his word I guess but it doesn't look good.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There seems to be a bigger uproar over Reed than Tiger's illegal drop at the 2013 Masters. Both received 2 shot penalties.

Both knew what they were doing or did both make honest mistakes, we'll never know.

D

Deleted member 15344

There seems to be a bigger uproar over Reed than Tiger's illegal drop at the 2013 Masters. Both received 2 shot penalties.

Both knew what they were doing or did both make honest mistakes, we'll never know.
Didn’t Woods admit that he was taking the wrong drop ? Or something along those lines , in essence it shoold have a been a DQ for him but the “Masters Committee” just gave him the shot penalty