Paralympic's - Shelly Woods

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
I really do feel for Shelly Woods who took part in the 5000m wheelchair race, earlier in the week she won silver following a crash on the track involving a number of competitors and having received the medal she has had to return it after a number of countries appealed against the result and it was over turned. the race was re-run today and she has now come in with bronze.
good on her for giving it her all as I'm sure she must have been very disappointed and frustrated with the decision of the judges from the 1st race as she did her best then and then having to do it again

I personally think the 1st race result should have stood, what do others think?

I've been following the Paralympic's and it is amazing to watch, the GB team from the olympics was spectalur but the GB team in the Paralympic's is phenominal.
Go team GB :cool:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So why havn't we appealled against the appeal???

Outrageous that its been re-run. if it was the 110 hurdles and 3 people fell at the 1st its just tough on them.

Having said that I don't know why it was re-run. If the crash was caused by an outside influence like a spectator getting in the way then I suppose its fair enough. Still a bit harsh on our Girl.....

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Didn't Zola Budd and some American girl have a bit of a tripping-up in 1500 metres a few Olimpics ago? The didn't re-run that race.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
The crash was caused by another competitor (favorite) in the last 400m, they somehow managed to clip another wheelchair and overturned taking half the field out in the process.

usually a race is only re-run if something happens within the 1st 200m of the race but for some strange reason possibly because 3 countries appealed the judges opted for a re-run.

All in all though we are doing very well in the medal stakes. :cool:

buchanan17

Visit site
The competitor that caused the crash was banned from the rerun..

And the 3 medallists first time were the same second time (so the rerun was a bit pointless) - original bronze medallist became gold, gold became silver and our girl went dwon from silver to bronze.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't Zola Budd and some American girl have a bit of a tripping-up in 1500 metres a few Olimpics ago? The didn't re-run that race.

yes was it mary decker ..america's middle distance glamour girl and hot favourite.....barefooted budd had a weird legs out kinda style...as decker found out.