Par 3 woe

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here’s my stats for par 3s I tend to just play for the middle as you will never be miles away from the pin.
BF775A24-4034-4E95-8D22-CFE2273A5B51.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes definitely, I like that shot..

Ok,
Here's what you do.......
Work out what club you would normally use for the hole and add 2 clubs so if its a 9 iron normally, use a 7.
Then use the swing you use for the 50yd pitch so probably half way back, half way through with the 7 and it should go the same distance as the 9.

I suggest you practice it first to get a bit of confidence with it but once you get it, it's so easy it's almost cheating. It's a great shot to play in the wind too as it's basically a knocked down punch shot.
HTH

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have let the 6th get in my head. Only 178 yards off the back, but OOB tight right and OOB on the left but a little more margin for error. Ditches short for anything topped and plays a little up hill. I can be playing nicely up until then in which case it's usually a quick snap hook OOB left. If I'm struggling it's a guaranteed un-coordinated swing and a slice right. It usually plays a hybrid or 4 iron and I've tried clubbing up to a smooth 5 wood without any joy. I can play it well and it's a shot hole so no need to force the issue. I just go to pieces here

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try not hitting off a tee if it’s a short or medium par 3. A mate mine constantly struggled on par 3’s with shanks, duffs etc.. I pointed out to him he’d not struggle coming in from a fairway from the same distance. Made a big difference.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok,
Work out what club you would normally use for the hole and add 2 clubs so if its a 9 iron normally, use a 7.
Then use the swing you use for the 50yd pitch so probably half way back, half way through with the 7 and it should go the same distance as the 9.

I suggest you practice it first to get a bit of confidence with it but once you get it, it's so easy it's almost cheating. It's a great shot to play in the wind too as it's basically a knocked down punch shot.
HTH

I can second this.

I had the same mental issue, probably caused trying to hit a super high shot which stops dead - just like on the telly.
Anyway, I watched some of Christina Riccis videos on You Tube (as recommended on this forum) and really connected with her 'zipped up jumper' chipping.
So for a laugh, I tried the same on a par 3. 7 iron chip, not a full 9 iron. Result - middle of the green for the first time in ages.
Same with other club combinations.
If you thin in, it still goes near the green.
If you slice it, it still goes near the green.
As a percentage shot, for us mortals, it seems logical.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok,

HTH

Thanks Bob, I'll be giving that a go and will report back