Par 3 Openers

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
S and A starts with a 180ish par 3 which has a lot of bunkers protecting it. Maesdu also starts with a gentle par 3, about 140 yards and only a couple of bunkers.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Royal Lytham is a brute off the tips, Davyhulme’s used to be a tough start. Think they have changed it though....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Meyrick Park at 243 is quite tough.
Others I remember are,
Mullion
Lytham
West Cornwall.

It seems to be more of a thing on Links courses.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Falkirk Tryste a few times and they have a shortish par 3 with a lot of bunkers around the green found that a tough opening hole, and giving it more thought a par 3 start might be as hard as any.

Falkirk Tryst short par 3 to start, yep 202 yards (White tees) is a short par 3 for sure, maybe you played from the red tees.

Bridge Of Allan has a 223 yard par 3 up hill with a stone dyke wall in front of the green and it'seems been voted as the hardest part 3 start in Scotland

Last edited:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
if any of you had ever played Peacehaven then you would all be agreeing that the opening hole is the toughest test of a par three that you have ever teed it up on .
200yds of carry ,if you dont make the green you roll back down into a very deep ravine and you would need a wedge to get the elevation required just to get it back up to the green. it is very steep.the only forgiving thing on the hole is that the green is pretty flat.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alnmouth Village. Approx 200yds to an upturned, raised saucer green. Anything other than dead straight gets a wicked bounce taking you away from the green. I played it for a number of years and never liked it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Meyrick Park in Bournemouth, 245 yards off the back tee to a green cut into the side of a hill across a valley. Carry all the way, anything short rolls back down the hill.

You can close the thread now :D

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that there is a lot to be said for having a Par 3 as the opening hole. I've played a couple of courses where this is the case and it seems to make the course flow much better. With a Par 4/5 opening hole the group behind can tee off as soon as you are out of range and therefore the gap between groups isn't always maintained. With a Par 3 opening hole there is no way that the group behind can tee off until the green has been cleared and by the time they have played the 1st the group ahead should be playing or already have played their 2nd shots on the 2nd hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Meyrick Park in Bournemouth, 245 yards off the back tee to a green cut into the side of a hill across a valley. Carry all the way, anything short rolls back down the hill.

You can close the thread now :D

That is crazy long. how far is the actual carry to the front? it can't play all of that can it of it dips way down and back up again.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That is crazy long. how far is the actual carry to the front? it can't play all of that can it of it dips way down and back up again.

Yeah it is carry all the way, I just measured from the middle of the back tee to the front of the green on google earth, came out at 206m (just under 230 yards). Most people play it as a par 4.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah it is carry all the way, I just measured from the middle of the back tee to the front of the green on google earth, came out at 206m (just under 230 yards). Most people play it as a par 4.

Looks a great hole. aim at the big tree with a high cut. looks like the green is a bit of a bowl. Does the ball roll down off the bank surrounding it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Looks a great hole. aim at the big tree with a high cut. looks like the green is a bit of a bowl. Does the ball roll down off the bank surrounding it?

It did when I made the one and only birdie that I've had on that hole :D

The next par 3 is the 4th and that is even tougher, 246 yards off the old tee but think it has been slightly shortened now to about 225. Merv79 has aced it!!