Par 3 Openers

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It did when I made the one and only birdie that I've had on that hole :D

The next par 3 is the 4th and that is even tougher, 246 yards off the old tee but think it has been slightly shortened now to about 225. Merv79 has aced it!!

First thing I look at on the card is how long are the par 3s. There would be sweat on my forehead just thinking about these.

Tbh its the 180 -200 range I don't like. after that its long for everyone and no one has an easy path to a par.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the video I had a look at.

[video=youtube;td1gjeXazn8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1gjeXazn8[/video]

D

Deleted Member 1156

First thing I look at on the card is how long are the par 3s. There would be sweat on my forehead just thinking about these.

Tbh its the 180 -200 range I don't like. after that its long for everyone and no one has an easy path to a par.

All the short holes at Meyrick are very good. The 3rd one (8th) is my favourite then there are also the 10th and 12th.

The 8th is a mid iron and the last 2 are short irons.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate par 3 opening holes, much prefer the par 3s to come on you later in the round.

Kingsknowe is the only one that springs to mind round here. It's a 5 or 4 iron downhill, gully short of the green so make sure you're up!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Largs, Cathcart Castle, Whitecraigs, Cochrane Castle, Newtonmore (I think) Aberdour (first 2!!!) Kinross Montgomerie, Walton Heath (old) St Boswells, Glencourse, Winterfield, Kingussie.

That's all I can think of at present!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Largs, Cathcart Castle, Whitecraigs, Cochrane Castle, Newtonmore (I think) Aberdour (first 2!!!) Kinross Montgomerie, Walton Heath (old) St Boswells, Glencourse, Winterfield, Kingussie.

That's all I can think of at present!

If I remember correctly when playing Aberdour you can hit the Forth at the first, second, third plus a few other holes :eek:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It did when I made the one and only birdie that I've had on that hole :D

The next par 3 is the 4th and that is even tougher, 246 yards off the old tee but think it has been slightly shortened now to about 225. Merv79 has aced it!!

Bloody hell im not going there to play.:thup:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Royal Lytham can be tough, played S&A off the Ryder Cup tees and that was a tough one into the wind.

Still never played a tougher opening par 3 than Winterfield in Dunbar. It's 230-odd yards all carry across a huge cove in the Firth of Forth. Absolutely brutal, especially as I mainly played there when I was a junior!!!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bootle used to have a cracking opening par 3, the council outsourced the course to a private firm who destroyed it, now it's around a 130yd nothing nonsense of a hole.

it doesn't help that 4/5 times I blob it....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cleveland Golf Club, Redcar, 168yds from a raised tee to raised green, good start to a good course.

Some of us might have had a hole in one there. Great way to start a round, especially as its followed by a gentle 499yd par 5(white's).

The first used to be the second hole but when the local council decided it wanted the land the first, eighteenth and the clubhouse was on the club had little option but to move. The land is leased from the council, on a peppercorn rent, and the lease was coming up for renewal.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place (Dulwich & Sydenham Hill) has a 237yarder to start. Downhill, with green sloping away from you. A par for anyone, Cat 1 golfers included, is a very good score.

In our "fun" competitions, one of the members runs a charity "book" where you back yourself to get the ball on the green. At 19 h/c l get 7:1 , h/c 9 & under get 3:1 l think. In a 72 person shotgun start, he'll pay out two or three people at most - rest of the takings go to captains charity.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My old learning ground, Thorpe Wood in P'boro.
Also nowhere to warm up prior back then but generally started well.

Think a par 3 start can work in setting group spacings on a busy course.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southampton Municipal opens with a par 3, about 160 yards downhill. The 10th is a par 3 as well so there's no escaping a par 3 start whichever way you go!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Royal mid Surrey opens at over 200

Knole Park's is shorter but equally as hard due to uphill and other elements.

Meryick Park...met this one as an opener in a 2 course 36 hole medal event a few years ago - Not forgotten quickly!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Shire (London) has a short par 3 to start. tees 135 - 154 - 175. Water front and right hand side. I played it in a society game off the shortest. Strong wind against so difficult to select correct club having never played it before. Of the 12 players that I saw tee off only 3 (including me) hit the green.
Ballesteros designed course of 6 par 3, 6 par 4 & 6 par 5. Too many par 3s in my opinion.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Rickmansworth opens with a par 3, innocuous from the scorecard, 133 yards off the yellows. SI 13
But it’s a bit of a sod, up a steep hill, so the green is invisible, and the green is tilted away from the hole in all directions, ( now that’s what I call a crown), in the summer with hard ground it’s almost impossible.

I like a par 3 opener, as has been said, it spaced the groups out nicely