Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep but the damage was done from weeks of telling us it was a suspension of a week or two and so we all carried on using our garden bins as normal. Was after about 6 weeks that they came out and said that actually they were suspending the service indefinitely. By that point everyone's garden bins had been full up for weeks and so were just left to sit. They were pretty rotten so no one particularly fancied putting it into cars so it's just been left. The council finally bowed to pressure given their lack of effort and they agreed a single collection to get everyone sorted. Going forward we'll all have to use the tip however at least we know that and won't be using our garden bins until the service is resumed.

Same around here.. the privilege after paying separately for Garden waste collection.

In our neighbourhood forum, someone organised a private company to pick up.. 10 quid per bin.. I am assuming it was legally disposed rather than flytipped somewhere

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In our neighbourhood forum, someone organised a private company to pick up.. 10 quid per bin.. I am assuming it was legally disposed rather than flytipped somewhere

Same in our area, I was just about to press the button when the council agreed to the one off collection.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most petrol stations around here are charging around £1.42.99 per litre, I filled up at Sainsbury's in Cheltenham for £1.36.99. I'm sure there's some opportunistic profiteering going on at the moment.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most petrol stations around here are charging around £1.42.99 per litre, I filled up at Sainsbury's in Cheltenham for £1.36.99. I'm sure there's some opportunistic profiteering going on at the moment.
Ive now seen diesel at £1.51 a litre , with most at or around £1.48.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a guy on the TV on Friday or Saturday from the petrol retailers association. He pointed out that the actual sales price of petrol at the moment is around 60p per litre. The rest is duty and vat. I think we forget just how great a proportion of the price we pay goes to the Treasury.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a guy on the TV on Friday or Saturday from the petrol retailers association. He pointed out that the actual sales price of petrol at the moment is around 60p per litre. The rest is duty and vat. I think we forget just how great a proportion of the price we pay goes to the Treasury.

What is really galling is the fact we are paying VAT on the fuel duty which is tax on the tax!!!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I am half empty and start to monitor a bit. Our Tesco is at 138 for petrol, 7p cheaper than the BP I am passing on the way there.

We went to Bockets Farm and every station we passed was 140 or up.
I have seen Diesel for 152 somewhere.

The good thing is we have full availability again, I guess.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
18 months of lockdowns... demand slumped and falling prices...

Anyone know how to drive up demand and price? :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Am I getting cynical in my old age?
It's not helped by oil being priced in Dollars, and rising in price, and the Pound is weak against the Dollar

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am half empty and start to monitor a bit. Our Tesco is at 138 for petrol, 7p cheaper than the BP I am passing on the way there.

We went to Bockets Farm and every station we passed was 140 or up.
I have seen Diesel for 152 somewhere.

The good thing is we have full availability again, I guess.
Do you mean Becket's farm at Withal? If so, the station at the top of Kings Heath always tends to be the cheapest in the area.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So, when the panic buying was kicking off we were bring told that there was no need to panic as we had 3 months worth of fuel in stock, just waiting to be delivered.

That fuel was purchased months ago at prices set months ago,

So why is fuel now being sold at hugely inflated prices, when the reality is that the fuel bought at the new higher prices, won’t actually hit the pumps for a couple of months.

Somebody is making a shedload of cash from this, but in my opinion, it needs regulating as the motorist is getting clobbered big time …again

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So, when the panic buying was kicking off we were bring told that there was no need to panic as we had 3 months worth of fuel in stock, just waiting to be delivered.

So why is fuel now being sold at hugely inflated prices, when the reality is that the fuel bought at the new higher prices, won’t actually hit the pumps for a couple of months.

Somebody is making a shedload of cash from this, but in my opinion, it needs regulating as the motorist is getting clobbered big time …again

I don’t think this is anything new, though. I remember many years ago driving past my local garage on my way to work, and then again on the way home, and in between the price of diesel had increased by 3p a litre. After I had refuelled I asked the cashier what time they had taken a new delivery and she said they hadn’t for nearly a week. So a different price was being charged for the same consignment of fuel.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

As VAT is charged then that would mean the people regulating it would be regulating against more money going into their coffers; more chance of turkeys voting for Christmas Phil.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I don’t think this is anything new, though. I remember many years ago driving past my local garage on my way to work, and then again on the way home, and in between the price of diesel had increased by 3p a litre. After I had refuelled I asked the cashier what time they had taken a new delivery and she said they hadn’t for nearly a week. So a different price was being charged for the same consignment of fuel.

Without knowing much about the industry, I've no doubt that there will be some profiteering going on but i imagine that they have to pay for a restock so if the wholesale price of future stock increases they will have to pass that on in their current stock to afford to pay for it.

I guess the control if the wholesale price goes down is the element of competition. As soon as one place reduces their prices the rest are kind of forced to follow suit.