Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our company has committed to hydrogen power for its trucks. The fact we produce the hydrogen might help. ;)

In my untrained mind, I struggle with hydrogen. Zeppelin is the first thing that comes to mind. h2 is a storage challenge. It needs more compression than regular fuel. Don’t fancy hearing about two mini zeppelins crashing into each other and closing the motorways.

Also blue H2 provides another challenge on carbon storage. There is talks about CCS in the North Sea bed, but will it happen at this scale? Maybe we repurpose that co2 and use it for drinks and killing animals (apparently govt paying some american co a lot of money to keep co2 coming)

My worry about leccy v H2 seems to be a bit of VHS v Betamax fight. God knows which will win.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guildford area.. no diesel yet. I am going to write to my MP and complain about it…..

North Suffolk area...all filling stations back to normal with no queues and all pumps open for all grades. I'm going to write to my MP to suggest that all of those that are panic buying are put in prison for 50 years for their own good as they are simply too stupid to be allowed to live among the rest of us.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Decided not to be one of the panic buyers as it was suggested that it would resolve itself 'within a few days'. Still not got petrol where I am and have had to miss a few planned events due to uncertainty as to whether I would be able to get back.

Next time I plan to be front and centre of any panic buying.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In my untrained mind, I struggle with hydrogen. Zeppelin is the first thing that comes to mind. h2 is a storage challenge. It needs more compression than regular fuel. Don’t fancy hearing about two mini zeppelins crashing into each other and closing the motorways.

Also blue H2 provides another challenge on carbon storage. There is talks about CCS in the North Sea bed, but will it happen at this scale? Maybe we repurpose that co2 and use it for drinks and killing animals (apparently govt paying some american co a lot of money to keep co2 coming)

My worry about leccy v H2 seems to be a bit of VHS v Betamax fight. God knows which will win.
In reality, you can say that people have been driving around in a bomb for decades. Petrol is highly flammable and will ignite easily. You can see this by the number of vehicle fires there have been. The modern fuel cell vehicles are totally different from the days of the airships. Our company would not put its name against anything that was going to be dangerous.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

Also blue H2 provides another challenge on carbon storage.
As Robster has already explained, using a Zeppelin analogy is completely wrong.

But the major issue with H2 is that there are too many vested interests in forcing us down the blue hydrogen route. The big fossil fuel companies are desparate to keep pumping methane out of the ground, and blue hydrogen is their smoke-and-mirrors way of pretending it's good for the planet. I get the impression that some politicians wanting to claim green credentials are falling for it, and there's a danger that embracing blue hydrogen could become government policy.

I'm a big fan of going down the H2 route for long haul transport (and possibly home heating), but only if it's genuine green hydrogen generated by electrolysis using renewable electricity.
Problem is that it requires a heck of a lot of electricity to produce.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I had to go out yesterday....thought I'd try to fill up when I passed a garage.

1st one had no queues at all...just a couple of cars on the forecourt but had no diesel whatsover.

2nd one was busy as hell....but no diesel

3rd one was reasonably busy but had diesel

Situation seems to be easing but I guess there will still be local "pinch points" for the next few days before we return to normal...or as close to normal as is possbile.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In reality, you can say that people have been driving around in a bomb for decades. Petrol is highly flammable and will ignite easily. You can see this by the number of vehicle fires there have been. The modern fuel cell vehicles are totally different from the days of the airships. Our company would not put its name against anything that was going to be dangerous.
I also thought most car fires were a result of the hydraulic fluid igniting, not the petrol.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a big fan of going down the H2 route for long haul transport (and possibly home heating), but only if it's genuine green hydrogen generated by electrolysis using renewable electricity.
Problem is that it requires a heck of a lot of electricity to produce.
In that case, why not heat with the renewable energy directly?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In that case, why not heat with the renewable energy directly?
Because many homes already have a radiator based central heating system so all you need to do is change the boiler instead of the major upheaval involved in installing some form of electrical system. Ripping out and throwing away something that works then replacing it with something that's been newly manufactured is not exactly environmentally friendly.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because many homes already have a radiator based central heating system so all you need to do is change the boiler instead of the major upheaval involved in installing some form of electrical system. Ripping out and throwing away something that works then replacing it with something that's been newly manufactured is not exactly environmentally friendly.

Aren't all boilers installed from a certain date required to be able to run off gas or hydrogen so the supply could be changed remotely?

On the top of fuel buying north circular petrol station still out of fuel

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Diesel ahoy…

Sat morning, was dropping off son for footy training. Very foggy down here so hardly a car on the road. Decided to try my luck .. bingo.. no queue, plenty of fuel .. in and out in 5 mins.

However OAP in front filled his car and then his can. He then lifted his can and put it in the boot next to the other can… why? Haven’t we learnt that petrol is not going out of fashion

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Diesel ahoy…

Sat morning, was dropping off son for footy training. Very foggy down here so hardly a car on the road. Decided to try my luck .. bingo.. no queue, plenty of fuel .. in and out in 5 mins.

However OAP in front filled his car and then his can. He then lifted his can and put it in the boot next to the other can… why? Haven’t we learnt that petrol is not going out of fashion
You think that's madness, a mate of mine saw an old lady put £1.69 worth of fuel in her car before paying and driving away. £1.69!!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You think that's madness, a mate of mine saw an old lady put £1.69 worth of fuel in her car before paying and driving away. £1.69!!!
I think they went about managing buying the wrong way round.

Many places had a maximum of £30. They should have made it a minimum of £30, regardless of how much fuel you actually put in.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think they went about managing buying the wrong way round.

Many places had a maximum of £30. They should have made it a minimum of £30, regardless of how much fuel you actually put in.

Diesel and Petrol both above £1.30 today.. only going up.. so not going to get much for 30 quid soon..