Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Govt created the circumstances in which the shortage of drivers occurred. This is absolutely their fault. Look at the EU and NI, no problems there.

The idea that everybody should just behave normally and respectfully is laughably naive - have you seen the public lately? Ministers coming on and pontificating about it have not helped, but made things worse, and apologists for them don't hep matters either. The public response is rational and to be expected.
Pretty much bang on .. the majority of the public (and they do like us to know it) actually voted for this and believed a man who had a longer track record in lying than Katie Price has for driving offensives ???.
That’s a factual statement not a political one.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone else think that petrol stations are making LESS money than usual?

I believe they hardly make any money on fuel, they are making their profit on Mars bars and other stuff. With them having to close this often, they don't sell much other stuff. People are happy to get fuel and out.

Does that sound right?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I believe they hardly make any money on fuel, they are making their profit on Mars bars and other stuff. With them having to close this often, they don't sell much other stuff. People are happy to get fuel and out.

Does that sound right?
When I was a lad I used to work in a petrol station @chrisd, you may remember it as it was on the Sturry road near the train station. They sell the franchise and the bulk is made from what is sold in the shop the cost of the fuel is monitored within a small radius and you react to the lowest price. So in the end it’s cost fixed, but every litre sold the franchisee gets a small amount ( I can’t remember how much but you needed to sell a lot) .
I remember I was robbed and I asked if they had caught it on CCTV as I had a camera above my head. Franchisee said they did not put any cassettes in the deck it was just a deterrent. So after 6pm I went to the night window and had a sign saying fuel only… she got a cassette in the machine after that.

D-S

Visit site

Does that sound right?
If they are actually receiving the same amount of fuel but due to demand it is selling out faster so therefore they are closed for some periods, then it depends on average spend. If the average spend is less due to a £20 or £30 maximum then footfall is actually higher so in this case they are likely to be making more ancillary sales than if the average spend were higher and then fewer people would be coming through the shop.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just been to my local garage to get some bread rolls, it doubles up as my local shop for bits and bobs.
No a single car on the forecourt and petrol and diesel available. They had run out for a couple days apparently but plenty now with another tanker coming tonight.

D

Deleted member 18588

It's ironic that Poland has a shortage of HGV drivers as severe as the UK, at least proportionately, even after so many drivers have, according to some on here, returned home due to Brexit.

And Germany has problems along with other EU States.

But we hear that people queuing for £10 of fuel that they don't need are behaving rationally and the problem is entirely of the Government's making.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Govt created the circumstances in which the shortage of drivers occurred. This is absolutely their fault. Look at the EU and NI, no problems there.

The idea that everybody should just behave normally and respectfully is laughably naive - have you seen the public lately? Ministers coming on and pontificating about it have not helped, but made things worse, and apologists for them don't hep matters either. The public response is rational and to be expected.
There was a delay delivering fuel to a handful of petrol stations in the country, the media kept on broadcasting these shortages which triggered the general public to start panic buying, it was absolutely nothing to do with Government and exactly the same situation we previously experienced with toilet rolls, pasta, tinned food etc. You are correct that some people have higher priorities with obtaining fuel for their vehicles but that's not what's been happening, every man and his dog have been out panic buying. Blaming the government is unfair.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's ironic that Poland has a shortage of HGV drivers as severe as the UK, at least proportionately, even after so many drivers have, according to some on here, returned home due to Brexit.

And Germany has problems along with other EU States.

But we hear that people queuing for £10 of fuel that they don't need are behaving rationally and the problem is entirely of the Government's making.

Yes, shortage of drivers across the continent... so why are we not seeing a run on petrol station? Is the EU media or politicians better behaved than ours. Are their people more rational. Same problem both sides, but the outcome is the opposite.

Data point to support your HGV shortage in the continent >> https://www.politico.eu/article/europes-looming-truck-driver-shortage-trucker-haulier-brexit-hgv/ >> though not entirely sure of the tagline ' The UK offers an ‘apocalyptic scenario’ if the Continent doesn’t do better in recruiting drivers.'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There was a delay delivering fuel to a handful of petrol stations in the country, the media kept on broadcasting these shortages which triggered the general public to start panic buying, it was absolutely nothing to do with Government and exactly the same situation we previously experienced with toilet rolls, pasta, tinned food etc. You are correct that some people have higher priorities with obtaining fuel for their vehicles but that's not what's been happening, every man and his dog have been out panic buying. Blaming the government is unfair.
Likewise claiming that it has nothing at all to do with government statements or Brexit is disingenuous.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last time I filled up the van was last Thursday night. I didn’t work Friday, but have all this week. Normally a tank lasts 4 days till it’s refilled, but currently have a third of a tank and will need to find some today or tomorrow, otherwise those people with problems with their ovens/fridges/washing machines and all over white goods will be cancelled off until I can get a tank full....which was £90 before the latest piece increases.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
243552312_10159700222817265_6531290244120630273_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 18588

Likewise claiming that it has nothing at all to do with government statements or Brexit is disingenuous.
I am interested to know which Government statement, and when it was made, that you think induced the Great British public to panic buy fuel that many of them had no need of.

Last edited by a moderator:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am interested to know which Government statement, and when it was made that you think induced the Great British public to panic buy fuel that many of them had no need of.

I think it was Grant Schapps, but I believe the newspapers were first on board with the stories.

D

Deleted member 18588

I think it was Grant Schapps, but I believe the newspapers were first on board with the stories.

I have looked and, as yet, cannot find any statement that should have led to the public's actions.

Some of the media coverage might be viewed differently.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The government and the media have totally misjudged the public and not realised that the majority are not so bright and liable to panic ….

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I'm afraid you're letting your politics come into it.

This is an area in which I have some expertise going back over a few decades in suppply chain (SC) management. Previous Governments of different'clours' have ignored LGV driver capacity for years since the 80's when the existence of the Road Transport Trainging Boards were aboloished in favour of relying on private compannies. Many of the larger companies with their own fleets progressively stopped inhouse training in favour of poaching trained staff from the smaller independent hauliers. The Military also trained large numbers of LGV drivers which went on into the private sector. Add too that the fact that those 'trained' in that period have now retired or reached retiring age and less drivers arre coming through the system which leads to the SC vulnerablity. In addition the companies now use Lean Supply strategies whic has reduced the inventory that used to exist in each company to improve the apperance of the bottom line for the RoI and share value. Furthermore manufacturing has become a world-wide scenario with more eintegrated leg (note the impact of one container ship in the Suez canal last year.

These issues exist in most dveloped and industrialised nations and have for years , I chaired an international forum of OECD back in the 90's with USA, Canada, France and others advising and pointing to the vulnerabilities and driver training capacitiy.

Throwing around derrogatory words and insulats like "apologists" at those whoo have a different view is arrogant when you demonstrate from your comments that your subject knowledge is somewhat scant.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid you're letting your politics come into it.

This is an area in which I have some expertise going back over a few decades in suppply chain (SC) management. Previous Governments of different'clours' have ignored LGV driver capacity for years since the 80's when the existence of the Road Transport Trainging Boards were aboloished in favour of relying on private compannies. Many of the larger companies with their own fleets progressively stopped inhouse training in favour of poaching trained staff from the smaller independent hauliers. The Military also trained large numbers of LGV drivers which went on into the private sector. Add too that the fact that those 'trained' in that period have now retired or reached retiring age and less drivers arre coming through the system which leads to the SC vulnerablity. In addition the companies now use Lean Supply strategies whic has reduced the inventory that used to exist in each company to improve the apperance of the bottom line for the RoI and share value. Furthermore manufacturing has become a world-wide scenario with more eintegrated leg (note the impact of one container ship in the Suez canal last year.

These issues exist in most dveloped and industrialised nations and have for years , I chaired an international forum of OECD back in the 90's with USA, Canada, France and others advising and pointing to the vulnerabilities and driver training capacitiy.

Throwing around derrogatory words and insulats like "apologists" at those whoo have a different view is arrogant when you demonstrate from your comments that your subject knowledge is somewhat scant.
Great post. Very informative. (Genuinely, just in case anyone decided that I’m being facetious)

Understanding the above, why do you think that the mainland UK is only really starting to feel the effects of this decades old issue now?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great post. Very informative. (Genuinely, just in case anyone decided that I’m being facetious)

Understanding the above, why do you think that the mainland UK is only really starting to feel the effects of this decades old issue now?

Brief answer...

Continental jounrnies are often shorter and overnight facilities much better on the occasions where a layover is needed. Industrial zones more concentrated etc

There's more to it than that but I've a feeling most readers will gave dozed off!