Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you fill to the brim when youre ordering a volume in advance? (asking for a thick friend ;) )

Ps thanks for confirming the 5 weeks late advice :D
Better late than never :LOL:. Always next year, unless you find an alternative, less stressful method of heating your house.

For point 1, you need to know the size of your tank and how much is in there. There should be something on your tank somewhere that tells you what size it is.

Depending on where your tank is, how high up and how daring you feel, you can go old school and dip a stick in. An old garden cane will do the job. See how much is wet, work out how much space you have in the tank. Equally, get an oil tank gauge, we have a Watchman one at work. This will tell you how much is left. Do your calculation and then order as much as you dare. You will only get charged for the amount you actually take, not how much you order. If you think you can fit 1,000 litres in then order 1,000, don't worry. The driver will keep an eye out and if they think it all won't go in they will stop. As you are in an oil area they will inevitably be delivering heating oil to other houses so they should be able to get rid of the excess without issue, or roll it over for their next fill up. Don't take the mickey and over order by a big margin but don't worry about pushing to the limit.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Echo what LT says , order to fill your tank. Firm I used to work for all the tankers emptied back into the holding tank at end of the day.
Lots of companies offer discounts if you join a village scheme so your village gets it all in one delivery

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Echo what LT says , order to fill your tank. Firm I used to work for all the tankers emptied back into the holding tank at end of the day.
Lots of companies offer discounts if you join a village scheme so your village gets it all in one delivery

I am on a vialge sccheme, all pay an agreed amount a month and then they come and fill up the tank 4 times a year and just deduct the cost of what they use from the money on account. Works well and you can always order an extra top up if you want.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont worry...Xmas will be cancelled due to the Turkey shortage...

Farmers warn of Christmas turkey shortage due to lack of staff - BBC News

That's the best news I've heard in the last two years. Turkey is basically a bigger, blander, dryer version of chicken. It's one of the worst meats you can buy and should be consigned to the bin. The only good thing about turkey is the size of the carcass so you can make stock for soup. Apart from that it's rubbish. Get a decent bit of top rump from the butcher instead and have that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's the best news I've heard in the last two years. Turkey is basically a bigger, blander, dryer version of chicken. It's one of the worst meats you can buy and should be consigned to the bin. The only good thing about turkey is the size of the carcass so you can make stock for soup. Apart from that it's rubbish. Get a decent bit of top rump from the butcher instead and have that.

Turkey is fantastic. If you know how to cook properly.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Station was rationing to £30 but on the supreme. Okay high is a hefty £1.50 a litre. But that’s fine we were in need of it and I got the wife’s car up to 290 miles range and mine to 140miles range .. won’t need anything until mid November now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only other option is electric heating, not good.

or ground source heat pump or air source heat pump.

I nearly went the former last time I changed the boiler. I did not do so as I was thinking of selling, here I am 16 years later in the same house regretting my decision. (Same applies to not having solar panels fitted).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I popped down to my local Sainsbury's this evening. No queuing and still at 132.9ppl for E10 petrol. There was a tanker doing a refill when I arrived. No E5 petrol available but otherwise no issues. I filled up my tank (about 43 litres). I could be called anywhere in the country at any time so it's best I've got a full tank, and the batteries are fully charged.

4LEX

Visit site
Limit of £30 at my local. Whacked £20 in so both cars are half full and good for the next week or so.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A. Because they're idiots
B. They've used 1 gallon of their 10 and want to top up " just in case"
C. See A

I don't think that is fair. If you need a decent amount of fuel for work or whatever, it is sensible to top up when you can. No amount of smug moral superiority thinking you are better than anyone else will make the car go. It isn't panic buying. I haven't bought any but I wouldn't blame anybody that did. The fact the Govt denies there is a problem whilst at the same time alerting the troops does not help matters.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't think that is fair. If you need a decent amount of fuel for work or whatever, it is sensible to top up when you can. No amount of smug moral superiority thinking you are better than anyone else will make the car go. It isn't panic buying. I haven't bought any but I wouldn't blame anybody that did. The fact the Govt denies there is a problem whilst at the same time alerting the troops does not help matters.

I don't think this is fair either.
The government don't deny there's a problem. They say there is a problem because the muppets panic buying .i.e. All at the same time going for petrol that is not needed at that time. If people had purchased petrol as and when they normally did, then the few garages that hadn't been supplied would not have made a huge difference, and supplies would have held up.

But the media broadcast that there was a shortage etc and the stampede started.
That is not the fault of the government . Saying that there is sufficient fuel in the system if buying protocols remained in place is not "denying that there is a problem".
We all know that the system is such that if ,for any reason, everyone, or almost everyone decided to go and buy any product (fuel, bog rolls , whatever) at the same time then it would create a shortage and the sort of scenes we have seen.
Whether the government is blue or red.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think this is fair either.
The government don't deny there's a problem. They say there is a problem because the muppets panic buying .i.e. All at the same time going for petrol that is not needed at that time. If people had purchased petrol as and when they normally did, then the few garages that hadn't been supplied would not have made a huge difference, and supplies would have held up.

But the media broadcast that there was a shortage etc and the stampede started.
That is not the fault of the government . Saying that there is sufficient fuel in the system if buying protocols remained in place is not "denying that there is a problem".
We all know that the system is such that if ,for any reason, everyone, or almost everyone decided to go and buy any product (fuel, bog rolls , whatever) at the same time then it would create a shortage and the sort of scenes we have seen.
Whether the government is blue or red.

The Govt created the circumstances in which the shortage of drivers occurred. This is absolutely their fault. Look at the EU and NI, no problems there.

The idea that everybody should just behave normally and respectfully is laughably naive - have you seen the public lately? Ministers coming on and pontificating about it have not helped, but made things worse, and apologists for them don't hep matters either. The public response is rational and to be expected.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting bit on the radio this morning - when a petrol station operator said (and I paraphrase) ...

Operator: " No, we haven't got any fuel at the moment"
Interviewer: "And that's because you have delivery problems?"
Operator: "No. We're actually getting more deliveries than normal - it's just that the fuel is selling out so quickly ..."