Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
first time weve ever bought it, lesson learned (repeating theme lol)
1st rule of buying oil, don't trust who you buy from. 2nd rule of buying oil, don't trust who you buy from :D.

Oil companies work on a margin above cost price and the sales people aim to increase that margin every time they sell to you. The more loyal you are, the bigger price you pay. Awful but true. Ring 3 companies, don't be afraid to play one off against the other, in fact actively do that.

3rd rule of buying oil, do what GB72 said about buying in August. Fill to the brim then (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yesterday the Mrs came back from work and said, that everyone is talking about bog rolls being in short supply soon.. do we have any left.

Who the flip, is spreading all this news? who is talking this country down?

At this rate, i wont have anything to buy for Christmas..

Usually its the village idiots and attention seekers on Facebook.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
just got to decide whether were sticking with oil first......

Honestly, I would. I have found it easier to work arround the fluctualtions in price rather than deal with larg scale gas price increases. Only down sides for me are the boiler is more expensive and there are very few boiler maintennace plans like you get with gas.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Honestly, I would. I have found it easier to work arround the fluctualtions in price rather than deal with larg scale gas price increases. Only down sides for me are the boiler is more expensive and there are very few boiler maintennace plans like you get with gas.

gas isnt an option, no mains gas in the village (amongst other things :D )

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1st rule of buying oil, don't trust who you buy from. 2nd rule of buying oil, don't trust who you buy from :D.

Oil companies work on a margin above cost price and the sales people aim to increase that margin every time they sell to you. The more loyal you are, the bigger price you pay. Awful but true. Ring 3 companies, don't be afraid to play one off against the other, in fact actively do that.

3rd rule of buying oil, do what GB72 said about buying in August. Fill to the brim then (y)

How do you fill to the brim when youre ordering a volume in advance? (asking for a thick friend ;) )

Ps thanks for confirming the 5 weeks late advice :D

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
gas isnt an option, no mains gas in the village (amongst other things :D )

We have some good friends who moved into a village similar to yours, no mains gas. They'd come from the standard mains gas and didn't even thing about the oil side of things until early January when they ran out. I remember having a drink with him whilst he cried into his pint at the cost of it! Was a lesson learnt from his point of view and they're very careful when they do their winter order!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have some good friends who moved into a village similar to yours, no mains gas. They'd come from the standard mains gas and didn't even thing about the oil side of things until early January when they ran out. I remember having a drink with him whilst I cried into his pint at the cost of it! Was a lesson learnt from his point of view and they're very careful when they do their winter order!!

Im about 6 weeks away from that pint according to the dipstick (insert joke comparing fundy to said dipstick here) :( )

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im about 6 weeks away from that pint according to the dipstick (insert joke comparing fundy to said dipstick here) :( )

Also buy one of the devices that you can drop in the boiler and check the level on your phone. Got ours free with a boiler juice order but there are plenty around.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also buy one of the devices that you can drop in the boiler and check the level on your phone. Got ours free with a boiler juice order but there are plenty around.

ok i found boiler juice earlier, will look into that for sure, if only all dipsticks could be so easily replaced :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I still can’t understand why everyone is still panic buying ?‍♂️

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was looking at heat source pump as a possibility

Several pro's and con's with heat pumps, the temperature output is much lower than conventional boilers, so ideal for underfloor heating systems and ok for heating domestic hot water, but if connecting to an existing heating system the existing heat emitters will almost certainly not be big enough. If you go air to water, which is by far the most common and cheapest system, then you need to wary of the manufacturers output claims, efficiency starts to drop off below an outdoor ambient of +5 C and owing to the humidity on a typical UK winter day they also start to frost up quite quickly, meaning the system goes into a reverse cycle defrost mode, which interrupts the heat supply.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site