Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I filled up just now, was driving past Sainsbury's as they opened just after a delivery. In the 10 minutes I was there queues were already stretched back blocking the road, idiots filling up cans in their boot, not actually in their car.

Don't normally fill up, but I can't put £20 in every couple of days now with the queues. The Mustang is unusable, luckily I have an old diesel for lugging stuff about, so that's the current daily!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok…though I note from here yesterday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58701620

the following…

Ministers are also considering deploying the Army to deliver fuel.
The option is under discussion, and could be examined at a possible cabinet meeting on Monday.

And so today’s headlines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58701728

Just got around to that 2nd link and immediately noticed "But the Guardian believes the possible operation, first conceived during planning for a no-deal Brexit, could take up to three weeks to fully implement, while the Daily Telegraph highlights fears it could take too long to train the military drivers."

My point exactly. See post 192.

Stop digging Hugh. :rolleyes:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No fuel in Aylesbury at all....
Not looking good for work tomorrow
Let's hope someone gets a delivery and I can join a queue.....
This is starting to get tiresome.....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And when I leave for work there are 3 garages open with queues like there's no tomorrow.
Starting to cancel lessons and focus on those with upcoming tests..
Just another level of:poop: I don't need...:mad:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can it be long before some Govt halfwit suggests requiring welfare claimants to make themselves available to push cars that have run out of fuel? It would also slow traffic down to safe speeds.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And when I leave for work there are 3 garages open with queues like there's no tomorrow.

I leave my house 05:30

2 garages on my route to the A12

One was out of fuel

The Sainsbury's in town.. they again we're queueing and blocking the dual carriageway

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can you do an HGV testing?.. I hear there is a good demand for it

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Bonkers indeed......... you're right. I wonder why folk feel the need to run out there with Jerry Cans... they cant all have just run out somewhere up the road. How long before we see pics of these folk on Facebook selling the cans for daft prices.

Shortage caused by panic... as the guy said on the news, there is actually more fuel going to stations than normal. There's still a percentage of folk working from home and not commuting. Wallies will be wallies.

Which is why there are (increasing) times when the government have to step in to offset the (destabilising and dangerous) effects of the publics behaviour.
Why would it be wrong or unwise to bring in a law that
no private car can refuel more than X litres,
no petrol in cans etc.
Exceptions for emergency services and goods vehicles which can fully refuel.

Time to stop the morons.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Which is why there are (increasing) times when the government have to step in to offset the (destabilising and dangerous) effects of the publics behaviour.
Why would it be wrong or unwise to bring in a law that
no private car can refuel more than X litres,
no petrol in cans etc.
Exceptions for emergency services and goods vehicles which can fully refuel.

Time to stop the morons.
Because some people drive a lot?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got around to that 2nd link and immediately noticed "But the Guardian believes the possible operation, first conceived during planning for a no-deal Brexit, could take up to three weeks to fully implement, while the Daily Telegraph highlights fears it could take too long to train the military drivers."

My point exactly. See post 192.

Stop digging Hugh. :rolleyes:
See my post 39 in which I called for immediate involvement to reassure and reduce anxiety in the public. I accept that they can’t actually be on the road today, but they can be mobilised today, and that is what the government has now done. Indeed I have heard reported that some service tankers are ready to go today - they are on stand-by. The right thing. I don’t know that the government can do much more than provide us with a bit of leadership - and perhaps prioritisation and guidance to suppliers on limits we can buy. It is up to us.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Wouldn't that mean more refuelling and longer queues?

The reason we have this crisis is because those garages not affected by the non delivery of fuel (because of not enough drivers) are being "raided" by morons who are taking as much fuel as they can load into their vehicles and jerry cans ( in a short timeline as a result of our wonderful media ) and thus those garages are running out of fuel too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a happier note, the garages in the town where I work were empty from mid Sunday onwards. They were re-filled yesterday afternoon and understandably there was a rush for people to buy fuel. The queues were not daft but people had a need. I drove into work this morning, no queues, the odd car filling up, no covers on pumps. It is not a high population area so demand is not daft but at least here the initial surge has calmed down.

RichA

Visit site
The reason we have this crisis is because those garages not affected by the non delivery of fuel (because of not enough drivers) are being "raided" by morons who are taking as much fuel as they can load into their vehicles and jerry cans ( in a short timeline as a result of our wonderful media ) and thus those garages are running out of fuel too.
The reports I've read and heard were suggesting the problem has been caused by large numbers of drivers buying small quantities, rather than large.
The truth is out there somewhere, but we'll probably never know what it is.