Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just been out and filled the tank right up as there were no limits and of course the robbing bar stewards have ramped the prices up

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A tanker carries around 36000 litres
Average car fuel tank is, what, 50/55
If every car puts 40 litres in you have enough for just 900 cars...
Each pump does, say, 10 cars an hour
Not going to last long with a constant drain....

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wonder why folk feel the need to run out there with Jerry Cans... they cant all have just run out somewhere up the road.

Was listening to the radio this afternoon and a guy was on who was almost attacked at a petrol station for filling jerry cans up with petrol, apparently it was like a lynch mob. Anyway, turns out he works for the RNLI whose boats are filled up that way and they've always gone to the petrol stations in their private vehicles. Just shows that whilst there are plenty of prats out there it's not always what it seems.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my good friend lives 20 miles away

She works in a school 5 miles from us. On a weds she normally comes for dinner

Past few weeks my wife has to work late so auntie Lauren is on bath and bed duty to help me with twins and eldest

This week she can't get fuel so staying at her mum's a couple miles away

Had to arrange childcare for me to pick her up otherwise I won't manage bathtime lol

Crazy times

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Was listening to the radio this afternoon and a guy was on who was almost attacked at a petrol station for filling jerry cans up with petrol, apparently it was like a lynch mob. Anyway, turns out he works for the RNLI whose boats are filled up that way and they've always gone to the petrol stations in their private vehicles. Just shows that whilst there are plenty of prats out there it's not always what it seems.

Really?? They use Marine Fuel and they get it delivered. I wonder what this was.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
No shortage of fuel or tanker drivers I heard yesterday.
Clearly not the case because every petrol station I passed today is out of fuel.
Then the psychologists are saying don't worry because we are all born to be selfish.
There is a chance now of civil unrest and I'm not going to get involved.
Or could it be a conspiracy to get us to buy electric?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Years ago, when I worked for ICI (anyone remember them?), I worked in the Fire Fighting Chemicals section. ICI produced BCF and Monnex fire extinguishants and I worked in technical support. Part of that was putting out fires in circular trays any size from about 3' wide up to 10' wide (British Standard). For official ratings you had to use Hexane, but the cheapest option for general work was Petrol. I used to put 40 x 5 gallon Jerry Cans into the back of our company truck, drive to the local petrol station and fill them all. When I was asked why I was buying 200 gallons of petrol, and I told them it was to set fire to, I got some rather strange looks. :D

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously or anyone who knows can answer but what I find most concerning about this is that the emergency services apparently use the same resources as the general public, is that actually true?

I must admit I don't think I have ever seen a police car, ambulance or fire engine filling up at a petrol station yet on the radio and social media I keep hearing about all of these vehicles struggling to fill up and therefore putting the general population in danger given they cannot then respond. I always assumed that those services would have their own sites that they would use to refill and would not be reliant on the same pumps as the rest of us. If that is the case then it doesn't bode well if there really were a breakdown in society that lead to a prolonged period of unavailability.

D

Deleted member 3432

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously or anyone who knows can answer but what I find most concerning about this is that the emergency services apparently use the same resources as the general public, is that actually true?

I must admit I don't think I have ever seen a police car, ambulance or fire engine filling up at a petrol station yet on the radio and social media I keep hearing about all of these vehicles struggling to fill up and therefore putting the general population in danger given they cannot then respond. I always assumed that those services would have their own sites that they would use to refill and would not be reliant on the same pumps as the rest of us. If that is the case then it doesn't bode well if there really were a breakdown in society that lead to a prolonged period of unavailability.

See them all the time around my way filling up.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

They were interviewing an ambulance driver on TV this morning who said he was panicking as he only had about 40 miles of fuel left and was driving around everywhere until he eventually found a station with some fuel. Nightmare! The world is full of idiots.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Own stocks in N Devon.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Regularly see police cars and ambulances filling up at stations around here
I think the fire brigade might have their own supply though...

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

The Force I retired from in the spring used to have a fuel supply at its headquarters and a couple of outlying stations, but did away with pumps over 25 years ago. Since then they have used normal filling stations.

All Forces will have long standing contingency plans for just this sort of crisis, but I’m not sure what that will be locally, given all local stations have run dry. Possibly an arrangement with local transport providers who source their own fuel? There will be options.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Assuming that is the case then (ambulances needing to fill up at regular service stations) surely it shows a massive hole in any disaster planning by the NHS/relevant Government depts? Like I said, I always assumed that they’d have special sites to ensure they’d be kept on the road.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd back what @IanM has posted. Boats use what used to be called gas oil, effectively diesel without the duty, so massively cheaper. It may be renamed something else but that is what it was called. This will be readily available at any marina, port etc who will have their own tanks. The story has holes in it.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd back what @IanM has posted. Boats use what used to be called gas oil, effectively diesel without the duty, so massively cheaper. It may be renamed something else but that is what it was called. This will be readily available at any marina, port etc who will have their own tanks. The story has holes in it.

Yep but it does what the media wants, making a story rather than reporting a fact.