Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
A £20 surcharge for any purchase of less than 30 litres for 4-wheeled vehicles would quickly weed out the topper-uppers.

There’s been some stupid posts on here but this might just be the winner

Why is it stupid?

For a start off, not everyone can afford to put 30 litres into their car. For instance, they might be working a zero contract job and only put in just what they need as and when.

And secondly, people need to be encouraged to put only what they need into their car when they actually need it - i.e. act like normal.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As I don't sleep it seemed like the perfect time to seek out some diesel...
Did a quick tour and all bar 1 station was shut ( all 24hr)
Joined a 3 car at each pump queue at the open one,
By the time I left the road was blocked at the entry.
Its the Mrs car and there was about 40 miles worth left
If I didn't fill it I'd have been taxiing her to work and back and that messes with my golf timetable
Needs must...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
By responding to various comments following your post demanding "Mobilise service personnel…immediately" by deflecting.

One day you will take the advice of a wise man who advised that when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Ok…though I note from here yesterday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58701620

the following…

Ministers are also considering deploying the Army to deliver fuel.
The option is under discussion, and could be examined at a possible cabinet meeting on Monday.

And so today’s headlines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58701728

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How come there is a shortage of drivers in other European countries.?
There still in the EU.

I know that people are keen to blame Brexit as it suits their agenda but we've been out of the EU for ages and two weeks ago we had no issues around fuel. It's a combination of the media creating a panic and stupid people that has led to what's happened this past week.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know that people are keen to blame Brexit as it suits their agenda but we've been out of the EU for ages and two weeks ago we had no issues around fuel. It's a combination of the media creating a panic and stupid people that has led to what's happened this past week.

It's a storm that's been brewing though. Whilst there isn't a shortage of fuel the shortage of drivers because of various things (covid, brexit, ir35, pay and conditions , retirements) has lead to supply chains being hit

Yes people's behaviour doesn't help but with the correct amount of drivers this issue would be even less

The temp issue of visas is a good move and should be happening more and faster (was point of brexit no? Visas when we need workers?) But at same time there will be plenty of British people training up to work HGV drivers.. just the back log at the dvsa causing a shortage in training

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Brexit has undoubtedly worsened the shortage of lorry drivers. It’s economically less beneficial for EU nationals to work for British companies (weakened pound) and the more difficult logistics of even entering the UK to drive leads to increased costs for companies bringing things into the UK on lorries.

Does this mean it’s all Brexit’s fault? Nope. Just as it isn’t all the pandemics fault.

These things are nuanced and a mix of factors but we didn’t vote for a pandemic or for businesses to make being an HGV driver less attractive for a worker. We did vote for brexit though so that’s on the population.

Taking the stance of “iT IZ ALL da mane streem meadya” is just as incorrect and lazy as saying it’s all due to Brexit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think a 500% increase in sales over the past few days might be something to do with it. That's behavioural. I am sure some Eastern European lorry drivers have gone home (was that Brexit or Covid? ) but the percentage is low. And as said above, lorry driver shortage in the EU too...

Anyone want to guess how many new drivers were tested and registered in the past 18 months relative to normal?

Bog-roll, pasta, now petrol.... anyone notice a pattern? :)

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great piece on the shortage of fuel deliveries òn BBC Breakfast.

Interviewer to manager, How is the shortage affecting you.

Manager, well instead of 3 tankers a week we now have 2 tankers a day.

You can't make it up.

And for those with an agenda, could and may doesn't mean will.

Is Brexit effecting things, yes, and for those who really want the answer go back to the original opposition from the Labour Party in 73/74 as to why the Common Market would affect the UK working class.

History is an interesting thing.

MODS, not a post to bring up all the old arguments. Just one to encourage some to go back and look at the old debates on the subject.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IR35 is a bad policy, it kills temporary staff. The rule should be no roll over contracts after 18months , contractors must be permified.
Currently the contractors are hit with 28% more tax and still don’t get paid holidays, pensions, child vouchers, plus industry bespoke benefits.
The contractor unless they have carried a pension from a previous work place has to pay higher management fees on their pension. There is no sick pay and they don’t get redundancy pay outs either .. So firms who are claiming stuff is inside IR35 are being asked to stump up an extra 30% but they refuse to .. so no one bothers working for them .
it’s rather simple.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
IR35 is a good policy (in theory), but it have been appallingly applied! (I'd forgotten about that as an impact)

Manager, well instead of 3 tankers a week we now have 2 tankers a day.

Is Brexit effecting things, yes, and for those who really want the answer go back to the original opposition from the Labour Party in 73/74 as to why the Common Market would affect the UK working class.

1) So, more fuel going to stations than normal. (no need for the army then)

2) I've never understood why the Party funded by Unions supports a system that drives down the wages of its members. (You Tube Tony Benn) (That's an economics point not a political one)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Leave SILH alone.... this panic buying was caused by a whistleblower who leaked about the shortage to the media. it was a confidential report that the industry & Govt had under control till he leaked it.
All SILH did was buy 20 quid worth of extra fuel

Interesting video and correct point of view. The reason we are in this situation is that people are panic buying, pure and simple. And like at the start of the pandemic when food, toilet rolls, etc., were being hoarded, here people are effectively hoarding petrol that they won't use "just in case".
Everyone knows that CO2 is very short at the moment. If the public thought they could buy CO2 and hoard it, they would. Not because they need it but because there is a supply issue. With CO2 it is being managed by the suppliers, they are prioritising deliveries to where it is most needed. It's not ideal, but they are working hard to manage a very difficult situation. If the whistleblower had not made this public, the oil companies would have been given the chance to manage it better. One or two pumps may have been turned off (and we've all seen that over the years) but I don't believe we would be in the situation we are now. But there is only so much fuel you can put in your car and so once all the idiots have filled up their tanks, hopefully then the situation will ease.
But hoarding is nothing new. Those of us who remember the three-day week may well remember things like Sugar being short on supply. My Mum was as bad. I remember our spare room had what looks like a years supply of sugar in it!
Start a rumour and people follow it like sheep. Someone like Arkwright from Open All Hours would have a field day! Remember the episode with the Jamaican Ginger Cake?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
IR35 is a good policy (in theory), but it have been appallingly applied! (I'd forgotten about that as an impact)

1) So, more fuel going to stations than normal. (no need for the army then)

2) I've never understood why the Party funded by Unions supports a system that drives down the wages of its members. (You Tube Tony Benn) (That's an economics point not a political one)

Tony Benn was right, the whole policy was built on the German model from the 60s with the introduction of cheap Turkish labour and continues to this day out side of the EU control.

AliMc

Visit site
Have a couple of journeys this week so went in to station at Asda Dunbar, all pumps being used but no queues, limited to £30 each, just over half tank now so will need to drive nice and efficiency for the next week or so

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a trip planned to thorpe park with the kids on Saturday so I filled up on the Tuesday as that was my pay day - stopped off at Cobham for a comfort break and there were queues to the junction! On the way back at 9ish there were still cars queuing for fuel! Utter craziness.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting video and correct point of view. The reason we are in this situation is that people are panic buying, pure and simple. And like at the start of the pandemic when food, toilet rolls, etc., were being hoarded, here people are effectively hoarding petrol that they won't use "just in case".
Everyone knows that CO2 is very short at the moment. If the public thought they could buy CO2 and hoard it, they would. Not because they need it but because there is a supply issue. With CO2 it is being managed by the suppliers, they are prioritising deliveries to where it is most needed. It's not ideal, but they are working hard to manage a very difficult situation. If the whistleblower had not made this public, the oil companies would have been given the chance to manage it better. One or two pumps may have been turned off (and we've all seen that over the years) but I don't believe we would be in the situation we are now. But there is only so much fuel you can put in your car and so once all the idiots have filled up their tanks, hopefully then the situation will ease.
But hoarding is nothing new. Those of us who remember the three-day week may well remember things like Sugar being short on supply. My Mum was as bad. I remember our spare room had what looks like a years supply of sugar in it!
Start a rumour and people follow it like sheep. Someone like Arkwright from Open All Hours would have a field day! Remember the episode with the Jamaican Ginger Cake?

This is a fair point and I am sure we are not far away from a company trying to use shortage scaremongering as a way to boost sales. The cynic in me thinks that this could already be the case. Turkey has been on the decline as the Xmas dinner of choice for a while now. How best to boost sales, start reports that there is going to be a Turkey shortage for Xmas.