Paige Spirinac: Good for women's golf or not ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The difference there is that Tiger has won so much he'll have lifetime rights to play the PGA tour, whereas PS hasn't won diddly

I get that completely but in the here and now he is taking the place of someone higher up the rankings. I was applying Hogie's argument.

She is there to please the sponsors but the sponsors pay the money and keep the tours going so what they think is important. People might not like her being there based on rankings but in the real world of business she brings value.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sponsors invites do not take someone elses place. The sponsors get a number of invites to fill, so they fill them. If 100 golfers qualify, and there are 8 invites, that is what you get, 108. Number 101 does not get in unless one of the 100 pulls out. The 8 invites are still invited. They could be amateurs, locals, what ever, up to the sponsors

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a wonderful young lady she is.

I took my kids to the ladies Scottish Open a couple of years back. Charlie was playing with the "superstar" Mel Reid. Mel Reid missed a putt and stormed off the green with a face like thunder stormed right past us muttering and swearing. Hull walked past about 20 seconds behind her, stopped and gave my daughter her golf ball and ruffled her hair.

Followed her progress ever since. Took 5 seconds out of her life to make a young girl very happy.

+1 - never met the lass but I'm a fan...and what a splendid role model for our budding youngster.

PS does indeed fill a different role to the likes of CH - PS will well bring a bundle of her Social Media fans to watch her in action - good thing? Of course - mostly - though in reading about the antics of fans of the likes of Harry Styles who go and watch him play - their behaviour may not always be exactly 'up to scratch'. But hey - we (and I include myself in the 'we') are often too precious about our game, and we can't really afford to be.

D

Deleted member 1147

Does PS actually bring people to golf tournaments or do they just look at her online content?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect online content JamesR. However, in this modern world do not underestimate that. If she can show their product to 1.2m followers, her instagram following apparently, that is more important than then 30-40k that visit a women's tournament in person. Her reach is far greater than people coming through the gate.

There was a bloke on the radio the other night as I was driving home. He was a Youtuber, no idea what he does but that is a job in itself now apparently. He had 17m followers. He was asked jokingly if Ch4 had talked to him about a programme. He replied seriously, "I don't need Ch4". He is right. He puts something on Youtube and 17m people see it, more if they like and others see it. When was the last time 17m people watched a tv show in this country? Sponsors line up for these people because of their reach.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I suspect online content JamesR. However, in this modern world do not underestimate that. If she can show their product to 1.2m followers, her instagram following apparently, that is more important than then 30-40k that visit a women's tournament in person. Her reach is far greater than people coming through the gate.

There was a bloke on the radio the other night as I was driving home. He was a Youtuber, no idea what he does but that is a job in itself now apparently. He had 17m followers. He was asked jokingly if Ch4 had talked to him about a programme. He replied seriously, "I don't need Ch4". He is right. He puts something on Youtube and 17m people see it, more if they like and others see it. When was the last time 17m people watched a tv show in this country? Sponsors line up for these people because of their reach.

I suspect it was to do with the boxing match at the weekend between 2 rival YouTubers that was streamed on their channel and attracted a lot of viewers. But one pedantic point is that just because someone has 17 million subscribers on YouTube does not mean that every video they post will be seen be anywhere near that many of their subscribers. In fact actual views compared with subscribers is a metric that they are all trying to increase.

But you are right about the impact of these people. YouTubers/podcasters/social media influencers will, if they are not already, drive a lot of the golf media exposure and increasingly they will be become even more relevant. Podcasts like No Laying Up are able to get the top stars on there now, MeandMyGolf had access to Rory and DJ recently for 15 minute YouTube videos that I suspect would be seen by many more people the golf companies want exposure to than the average PGA tour event would. I know from my daughter and her friends behaviour that YouTubers/Instagram stars are huge in that demographic. In golf I'd would not be surprised that if there was some kind of grudge match between Shiels/Finch and Crossfield/Coach then that would attract more younger viewers who advertisers are so enamoured with, than young people in that demographic who will watch the Open on Sky.

D

Deleted member 15344

The people who follow her on Instagram aren’t doing it for her golf - they are on the whole following her because of her looks and waiting to see the next revealing outfit she will wear - it doesn’t add anything to the game of golf , these people watching her on Instagram don’t suddenly take up the game because of her - the people who actually go to the events and put money into the events are far more important that someone wearing a bikini on Instagram

Hacker Khan

Visit site
The people who follow her on Instagram aren’t doing it for her golf - they are on the whole following her because of her looks and waiting to see the next revealing outfit she will wear - it doesn’t add anything to the game of golf , these people watching her on Instagram don’t suddenly take up the game because of her - the people who actually go to the events and put money into the events are far more important that someone wearing a bikini on Instagram

She is providing exposure to the game and potentially changing the stuffy perception of golf to a certain demographic. Even if only half a percent of her followers decide to give golf a try as it looks like fun what she is doing, she would have made a valuable contribution to the game. As for if they continue then that is down to the clubs themselves.

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you still have degree of what's right - she never won, failed to qualify for most majors etc - is that sufficient background to be involved discussing the best of women's and men's golf or should it be a past player who played to a higher standard than her?

The point for me is that the quality of her golf is largely irrelevant to the role (all be it you need to have been a reasonable golfer) and it's her performance in her media role that is the key point - therefore no different to Paige.

They're quite different in my opinion; one is trying to make a career out of being a presenter / sports media, the other is trying to grow her brand via social media and mostly skimpy outfits. I have nothing against either, but they're not doing the same thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
LP, you are not grasping the potential if you are dismissing her that easily. A little like golf committees still putting up notices on the noticeboard rather than emailing members, move with the times or you will be left behind. The European Tour are very good on this front and post some excellent stuff online.

HK - Spot on, it was the boxing match, still no idea who the people are and I don't care. The reach is interesting though. I accept that not all 17m followers will watch but the very fact that they CHOSE to follow these people suggests they are highly likely to watch at least some of it. Even if only 50% watch it that is still a bigger reach than 99% of domestic tv programmes now.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Paige gets a whole lot more grief than she deserves in my opinion. She's a good golfer but not good enough to make a living out of it so she's made a career out of being good looking while holding a golf club. People question whether she should do this or not and give her a good load of abuse for it but no-one cares when male athletes do similar with topless photos, calendars etc.

None of us are good enough to have made it onto the upper levels of golf but love the sport. If I got a sponsors invite to play at an event because I looked good or had a presence online damn right I would take it, and so would everyone else here!

Fair play to her. She looks good, plays golf well and makes a fortune. I wish I could match her on any of those counts!

Hacker Khan

Visit site
LP, you are not grasping the potential if you are dismissing her that easily. A little like golf committees still putting up notices on the noticeboard rather than emailing members, move with the times or you will be left behind. The European Tour are very good on this front and post some excellent stuff online.

HK - Spot on, it was the boxing match, still no idea who the people are and I don't care. The reach is interesting though. I accept that not all 17m followers will watch but the very fact that they CHOSE to follow these people suggests they are highly likely to watch at least some of it. Even if only 50% watch it that is still a bigger reach than 99% of domestic tv programmes now.

Think I read that 1.7 million streamed it live on their channels and the video have since been seen by over 20 million times now. Which is not too shabby for an amateur sporting event not being broadcast by any TV channel.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think I read that 1.7 million streamed it live on their channels and the video have since been seen by over 20 million times now. Which is not too shabby for an amateur sporting event not being broadcast by any TV channel.

It is fascinating stuff. We still measure big events by their tv figures but we ignore, or fail to understand, this new era of media. We are trying to embrace it at my firm, hence I have some enthusiasm for trying to understand it more. It is difficult to grasp at times the importance of this to an entire generation. It is the new way of doing things and those who dismiss it are effectively the same as those in the '50's who dismissed rock n' roll as just a fad.

D

Deleted member 15344

My post was aimed specifically at PS not at the use of Social Media in golf - players like Charley Hull will have more impact than someone who doesn’t actually play the game - whilst doing junior golf speaking to the young girls and boys they aren’t inspired by PS - it’s Charley Hull or Creamer or Rory etc - people are drawn to the game by the people who are playing the game as opposed to someone who is pretty and played one event. I believe she has little to no impact on the game of golf right now. When you see PS she maybe wearing golf outfits but she isn’t playing the game to any sort of level so how will she inspire people ? She is more than likely to attract pretty girls who can make a fortune plastering themselves wearing little on social media

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because she's nice, good looking and wants to do some good for the world by tackling online abuse so other young girls don't have to deal with losers. Oh and earn a living while she's at it.

If that isn't a positive role model I don't know what is. Okay so she wears swimwear, it's not like she's doing adult entertainment. If you had a killer body and someone offered you a fortune to do Men Health you'd be down there like a shot. Easy to say otherwise when you've never been faced with that situation.

Get with the 90s lads, there are far less-talented doing far worse and guess what - they are idolised more. I think she's great for golf. It makes it look like a sport that young attractive people can enjoy, not like something sad old losers do when they're not on forums because it's too cold outside.

:smirk:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because she's nice, good looking and wants to do some good for the world by tackling online abuse so other young girls don't have to deal with losers. Oh and earn a living while she's at it.

If that isn't a positive role model I don't know what is. Okay so she wears swimwear, it's not like she's doing adult entertainment. If you had a killer body and someone offered you a fortune to do Men Health you'd be down there like a shot. Easy to say otherwise when you've never been faced with that situation.

Get with the 90s lads, there are far less-talented doing far worse and guess what - they are idolised more. I think she's great for golf. It makes it look like a sport that young attractive people can enjoy, not like something sad old losers do when they're not on forums because it's too cold outside.

:smirk:

Exactamundo.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Paige gets a whole lot more grief than she deserves in my opinion. She's a good golfer but not good enough to make a living out of it so she's made a career out of being good looking while holding a golf club. People question whether she should do this or not and give her a good load of abuse for it but no-one cares when male athletes do similar with topless photos, calendars etc.

None of us are good enough to have made it onto the upper levels of golf but love the sport. If I got a sponsors invite to play at an event because I looked good or had a presence online damn right I would take it, and so would everyone else here!

Fair play to her. She looks good, plays golf well and makes a fortune. I wish I could match her on any of those counts!

This!