Paige Spirinac: Good for women's golf or not ?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
A role model is someone others look at to emulate.
She is a pretty girl who uses her social media so she doesn’t have to do a normal job, and happens to dabble with golf.
She isn’t a professional golfer earning her living on the ladies tour, knowing that failure at that event will mean next to no money if any at all.
She might be a role model for those wanting to be social media darlings, but as a female golfer she isn’t.

Is 'not having a normal golf job' a crime nowadays. Are 'jobs' that people have created for themselves from social media not proper ones? Are the YouTubers making shed loads of money wasting their lives away on frivolous endevours? Has Crossfield got a normal job, Shiels?? Do they dream of going back to being anonymous club pros? Should they hang their heads in shame as they attract a different demographic to the game?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
She has a very flexilble swing, and seems like she has some personality. Certainly not bad for ladies golf in my opinion, so let her get on with it.

I enjoyed the vlog she did with Mark Crossfield, though it was disappointingly very cold, so she was well wrapped up.:(

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good For golf and cyber bullying. She is using her popularity to get a message out to as many people as possible that bullying online is not acceptable and using golf to do that in schools is a great impact on both the sport and cyber bullying. The best thing she could do to silence critics is get back on the LPGA. Starting climbing the leader boards and concentrate on her golf.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading Paige‘s Twitter feed today makes me wonder if she reads the forum. Although there are probably clumps of sad gits having chats like this all over the golfing intranet! :D

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading Paige‘s Twitter feed today makes me wonder if she reads the forum. Although there are probably clumps of sad gits having chats like this all over the golfing intranet! :D

Just looked it up, yeah I suspect she's seen the thread title at least, probably didn't read the comments, she knows what's coming at this stage...

Hopefully it won't put her off doing a lesson for GM. Now there's a prize people would take a day off from work and travel the country for :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
An attractive, no stunning, individual posts pictures and videos whilst wearing minimal and skin tight clothing. Anyone not expecting that to be discussed is beyond naive. Blimey she herself would be gutted were it not discussed. Why else does she post how she does? It is to create discussion and publicity.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plenty of attractive ladies taking advantage of their looks - if it works good luck to them. I guess Blair O'Neil passed the audition on the Golf Channel based entirely on her golf prowess.

Why shouldn't Spirinac try and succeed in whatever she chooses: that she has an interest in golf is fine and won't hurt the sport and might just widen its audience - nobody is being forced to watch or follow her.

Being dammed for being attractive and female seems a tad perverse.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As to whether she is "good for golf" depends on the demographic of her following - ie are her following already engaged with golf in some way or other - or not? I have no way of knowing, but l suspect that few people without an existing connection of some kind to golf will have heard of her? I'd suggest that unless you are reaching "non-believers" then you are not really advancing tne cause?

But anyone who loves the game, who openly proclaims such, and who has a high profile, certainly ain't harming the game.