Package sets

NedPizza

Visit site
Hi everyone,
Currently playing with a half set and have been having lessons for last 2 months.
I'm looking to buy a package set and would welcome views from anyone who has recently tried any of these sets :

- Cobra Fly XL
- Wilson Deep Red
- Cleveland
- Callaway Warbird

thanks

jamiet7682

Visit site
Ive been playing for 2 years now and im taking clubs out the bag more and more rather than adding clubs in. Those sets will all be much of a muchness, good quality basic clubs.
Id just gradually add/replace your current set as needed.
What is your current set up?

jamiet7682

Visit site
I started with a set of Donney irons and wedges and putter, bought a cheap hybrid out sports direct and that was all i needed to get out on the course.
Over the next year, i replaced the irons (ex-demo) out american golf, bought a driver off a lovely gentleman on here, got a 3 wood and 5 wood off facebook, bought wedges and putter brand new, then added another 2 hybrids for xmas/birthday presents.
Of all thos clubs i only take 9 out on the course, 3 & 5 wood, 5 & 6 iron all stay in the boot of my car.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother getting a package set, especially when you already have a half-set to use. It's just an extra pointless step as you'll end up replacing them individually before long anyway. You're better off buying a good set of second hand clubs that are 3-4 years old, they'll be just as good if not better quality as the bog standard starter pack clubs, probably won't cost you much more, and the added bonus is that you'll be able to sell them on later for a decent price, whereas the package set clubs won't hold their value as much.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with Orikoru. Usually I would recommend people buy a starter package if they are brand new to golf but as you already have a half set I would say you would be better slowly replacing/adding to this set. Have a chat with the person you are having lessons with, they may have some older trade in sets available or know someone who is in the process of getting new clubs and may be selling their existing clubs. Or see if there is a local shop near to you that has loads of 'pre-loved' clubs that would be ok for you.

NedPizza

Visit site
Ive been playing for 2 years now and im taking clubs out the bag more and more rather than adding clubs in. Those sets will all be much of a muchness, good quality basic clubs.
Id just gradually add/replace your current set as needed.
What is your current set up?

Current clubs are from Decathlon the Inesis 100 starter set. I bought them to replace my 30 year old clubs and to have something consistence for the golf lessons.

I'm really enjoying getting back into golf so want a complete set. I like the idea of a set as everything is matching. I can't be doing with mix and match.

The only upgrade path I have is to Inesis 500, but once I price up a full set it's over 1000€ therefore I see one of the sets above as good value.

So really looking for experiences from anyone who has had one of these.

If they are all pretty much the same, I will probably go for the Callaway Warbird, only drawback is it doesn’t come with a hybrid.

Miller

Visit site
I tried a package set and it made me feel a bit cheap. I’d do some reading up on recommended irons and woods for beginners and look for second hand clubs. You’ll probably pay more than a package set, but you have control over what you’re buying and you’ll know WHY you’re buying them.

I’ve ended up with a set of irons and a driver that I love the feel of far more than the cheap clubs I had before.

I’m still rubbish, but the good hits feel great.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Heard good things about that inesis set that you have, not sure any of those package sets would be much of an improvement. If are adamant you want a full matching set i'd just go try out the ones you are looking at and buy the one that feels the best.
In regards to not wanting to mix and match, i dont think ive ever played with anyone who just had one brand in their bag. All about finding what works for you in each area of the bag.
I have ping driver and fairway woods, callaway hybrid and irons, a cobra hybrid, fazer wedges and rife putter in a wilson staff bag.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Current clubs are from Decathlon the Inesis 100 starter set. I bought them to replace my 30 year old clubs and to have something consistence for the golf lessons.

I'm really enjoying getting back into golf so want a complete set. I like the idea of a set as everything is matching. I can't be doing with mix and match.

The only upgrade path I have is to Inesis 500, but once I price up a full set it's over 1000€ therefore I see one of the sets above as good value.

So really looking for experiences from anyone who has had one of these.

If they are all pretty much the same, I will probably go for the Callaway Warbird, only drawback is it doesn’t come with a hybrid.
Nobody really does that. And if you think about it, what are the odds that the best driver, woods, irons and wedges for you are all made by the same company?? Say you buy a full Cobra set, love the irons but can't hit the driver so you want to try other ones - if you buy a Ping driver instead, are you then going to sack the irons you liked to get Ping irons too? It makes no sense.

I had Callaway Warbird irons 5 or 6 years ago and they weren't great. Got them brand new as they were the cheapest by far (under 400 quid), but it was a mistake - they felt cheap and tacky and had some weird 'uniflex' shafts that didn't do me any favours. They were basically on a par with those free ones they let you use at Top Golf. Later I did what I should have done and bought my Callaway Steelhead XRs - a much better model and cost me about the same as they were second hand. And when I eventually sell them I should still make back a couple of hundred, whereas those Warbirds sold for naff all.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1144161/Callaway_XR_Speed.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1142203/Callaway_XR_Speed.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1142017/Callaway_XR_Hybrid.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1143554/Callaway_X-22.html

Just add a putter and you are away.

I'm not saying you should buy these. They are just an example of good gear that can be had second hand, that is likely to be better than most package sets, and cheaper than some too.

These will also retain some value when you want to upgrade.

And don't be obsessed with matching the brands of your clubs.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1144161/Callaway_XR_Speed.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1142203/Callaway_XR_Speed.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1142017/Callaway_XR_Hybrid.html

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1143554/Callaway_X-22.html

Just add a putter and you are away.

I'm not saying you should buy these. They are just an example of good gear that can be had second hand, that is likely to be better than most package sets, and cheaper than some too.

These will also retain some value when you want to upgrade.

And don't be obsessed with matching the brands of your clubs.

I'd second the above recommendation, Golfbidder are well worth a look (I used them frequently over the years) and the Callaway X22 irons are cracking clubs!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Absolutely don't be worried about mixing club brands. My bag contains callaway woods, wilson utility iron, titleist wedge, mizuno irons, taylormade wedge and Cleveland wedge the other day. Although I am hoping to lose two of them when I match my wedges up.

Miller

Visit site
If you've been having lessons, then it probably makes sense to ask your instructor what clubs will be best for improving your game - you should be able to get a decent recommendation.