Overstepping my mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst I think most of your ideas are good ones, as others have said I would have thought finance be the dominant factor of why things like that are not done.

Why not pick one or two and whip up a gang of volunteers to do the work? Painting the clubhouse for example could be one?

Why not organise a day of golf to raise funds for a particular project?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bunging in a list like that is unlikely to go down well unless the committee are really open to ideas. Most aren't.

Getting on the committee is a good idea but might take a time as you haven't been there long.

Another suggestion is invite one of the committee members out for a friendly round and discuss "some" of them during the round, maybe offer to help out in some way to make them happen.

That way you might also get some insight into if they'd thought about any of this and get an idea of what might be possible rather than coming over as over critical and demanding.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree with others on here it is great that you feel passionate about your new club and want to make it even better so get involved with the club, join the committee or offer to help out or give assistance at the major comps for example. I am also about 3 months into my membership and have helped out at two comps already. From just doing that you start getting the inside gossip on how things are going and how things work, who to approach for what etc and you also get to meet more members. Your name is also bandied about by the powers that be so if you do happen to want to make a suggestion it holds a little more gravitas.

Akin to the advice of offering to jet wash the stones some of your suggestions will have financial implications and someone somewhere will have to pay for it. It is far better to say I want X and I am aware that this will cost money so how about for example I run a club lotto where members pay £2 and we have a draw every week/fortnight. We have 1,000 members and lets say 50% of them take the offer up we have an extra 1,000 a week coming in. If we allocate say 50% to prizes (a potential £500 prize is quite an incentive for members to join in) and 50% towards my Project X in a year we will have raised £x over and above the spend for the project.

My wife and I have also served on committees (non golf) and the amount of people who say I want X, Y or Z or wouldn't it be good to do X, Y or Z and then you ask that sounds great do you want to run with that you tend to hear a subtle version of oh no I couldn't be bothered to do that I have no time but I expect you do it.

I am a firm believer that you get out of something what you are prepared to put in and you will without a doubt get a lot out of sticking your hand up and offering help.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst there are a lot of things on that I list I could comment on there is just a couple of I would like to

A bucket of range balls - I now an awful lot of people that find even 20 more than enough for their needs.

To put more balls in a bucket just put more money in the machine.

Any increase in the number of balls in a bucket is going to come from an increase in the charge do not make people, like myself, pay for something we do not want.

Just how many tees, ball markers and balls of a type many will never use does a player want.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whilst I think most of your ideas are good ones, as others have said I would have thought finance be the dominant factor of why things like that are not done.

Why not pick one or two and whip up a gang of volunteers to do the work? Painting the clubhouse for example could be one?

Why not organise a day of golf to raise funds for a particular project?

Great ideas there.
That would surely go down well with any club and it shows you are willing to put some graft in to help the cause.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of ideas - some interesting - some only I suggest for the better off club - and not sure they make a club more prestigious by having some or all of them implemented. But dumping them on on the committee in one go might be taken as criticism - even although you know that you are just trying to make things even better than they already are.

Status
Not open for further replies.