Order of Merit to be renamed?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless there are some qualification criteria whereby you have to have played in a certain number of events in order to get into the field for Dubai, I can see a lot of people suddenly feeling loyal to the European Tour just for the last couple of weeks of the season.

I think there is, isn't there? There was talk of 11 Euro events minimum, ruling out Tiger, Phil etc.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Murphthemog has a valid point. To use Birdiemans analogy Arsenal don't play Man U every week, they also play Derby, Sunderland and Liverpool (cheap shot), which has it's own brand of excitement, giving the underdog a chance. When we do see a top of the table clash (or a major) it makes it that much more special.

I love watching the European tour, although I do think they're missing a trick by not playing on more traditional links courses. Also the uniqueness of the tour is touted as one of the reasons for our Ryder Cup success. Let the yanks have they're money, it breeds apathy and an environment where second best will suffice.

B

birdieman

I do take your point about too much of a good thing if all the top players play together Gasp and maybe I should back down on that one a bit. I'm not sure where you see that in any other sports tours though.
Not sure about apathy and second best comment however - top 4 in the world rankings are all US players. I'm sure the guys at the low end of the PGA tour who are struggling to keep their tour cards aren't apathetic either.
Ryder Cup isn't really relevant to this thread, a lot of the good European tour players aren't eligible for either team.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I think there simply HAS to be a rule where a certain number of events must have been played to enable players to qualify to reach Dubai.

This ensures the overall integrity of the event and prevents yanks cherry-picking certain events and keeping deserving players who have been loyal to the tour all season losing places to US tour players who excel in just a handful of events.

They will probably make sure Tiger is there though as he simply "has" (ha ha) to be there in the eyes of many.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm with you on that one medwayjon. It should be weighted in favour of the Euros else it will just end up being mark two of the FedEx Cup.

On another note I shouldn't think anyone (apart from those in an offiial capacity) will actually call it 'The Race to Dubai'. It will always be the Order of Merit and, whilst Tiger continues to play the majority of his golf in the US it should at least be far more exciting than the FedEx Cup.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless there are some qualification criteria whereby you have to have played in a certain number of events in order to get into the field for Dubai, I can see a lot of people suddenly feeling loyal to the European Tour just for the last couple of weeks of the season.

I think there is, isn't there? There was talk of 11 Euro events minimum, ruling out Tiger, Phil etc.

im sure its 12 events must be played before you can enter.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
As long as they actually enforce the rule and don't make exceptions because sponsors want to see Tiger.

Michelle Wie doesn't exactly qualify on merit for a lot of events she plays in does she but money talks louder that anything else.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dear oh dear....what a balls-up.

Whatever next, calling the tour "the race to scoop loads of Nike's billions"

Calling it "the race to dubai" hardly gives it any gravitas and just about sums it up as "the race to the biggest wad of cash"

I just despair....I'm glad I'll be dead by 2100, eventually global capitalism will disappear up it's own arse. Feck....is nothing beyond the grasp of the money grabbers and TV bosses.

Dave

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The yanks are aloof, arrogant, and extremely obnoxious. .
Sounds as if you're describing Nick Faldo. Certainly not Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino and company.
I've played lots of golf with ''yanks'' and found them to be great company and terrific partners.
BTW you should know, as a Scot, that it's the English who are ''aloof'' and ''arrogant''. :rolleyes:

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm English and both these things ("aloof" and "arrogant")....it's the Irish blood that also adds "argumentative" to this list.

Did I say that?

Dave

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm English and both these things ("aloof" and "arrogant")....it's the Irish blood that also adds "argumentative" to this list.

Did I say that?

Dave
Argumentative? Yes. You've started an argument with yourself.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
I point blank refuse to have anything to do with dumb yanks.

They are the most retarded, arrogant race in the world and have such an attitude of superiority and self importance.

Most of them think we sit around in bowler hats, talking like the queen and drinking cups of tea all day.

60% of americans are illiterate, it shows. One prat who used to work with me reprimanded me on my spelling of "colour" saying that I should change company advertising to read color, he was adament that the English way of spelling it was wrong. This is what I mean about yanks, it is these idiods who have b@stardised the ENGLISH (get it yet?) language and he had the cheek to criticise me.

I just really cannot abide Americans, especially the @rsehole golf fans from over the water who yell "get in the hole" everytime the ball is within 300yds of the green.

Utter, utter morons. Just look at their effing president, how such a retard can have that power is frightening.

Sorry to have a rant, this is just one of the things that really gets my back up. I do not expect people to agree with me, this is just me expressing my oppinion as I am entitled to do in a world of free speech. I apoligise if this offends anybody but when something grates on me it has to come out.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
John
Fair enough. You hate the Americans. But before you knock their spelling, check your own! ADAMANT please.
When you're in the north of Spain, we'll have a game.
Regards
Shanker

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a long way from Puerto Banus. Bit like Plymouth to Glasgow, if you get me. I've got an early tee time tomorrow and on occasions we've had to wait because the course was frozen. Good wine, though. (Not, of course, while you're waiting to tee off).

medwayjon

Tour Winner
Spanish wine is the finest in the world without doubt.

Faustino I is my favourite rioja. I think that with tempranillo grape so abundant it would be hard to make bad wine in spain.

I love wines from all over Spain and have visited the torres bodegas near Barcelona. Intend to make a visit to bodgeas faustino in Rioja at some stage aswell.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Faustino winery is walking distance from my flat. A good walk, that is (3 miles, maybe). A very good golf course is nearby. Guess where I am.