Handicap Sec End of Year

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm approaching my first full year as handicap secretary, and just wanted to check the sort of things that need to be done at the end of the year / season. Last year, for example, I was never told that I needed to run the End of Year process on Club V1. I only worked it out a few month later when I couldn't understand why a load of golfers hadn't lost their "c" status when I knew they hadn't played enough qualifiers / supplementary scores the previous year. Turned out this only happened after running the End of Year.

So, firstly, when do other handicap secretaries run their End of Year? I presumed it would be as quickly after 31st December as you could. However, looking at the Club V1 User Guide, it says the data range for the end of year is 1st March to 28th February, so this would imply that the End of Year should actually be run at the start of March?

Secondly, members obviously come and go, and I've heard it is up to the handicap secretary to "Cleanse" the system. What exactly does this entail on Club V1? Our membership year ends on 31st July, but we certainly do not delete players from August - October, as many players are late rejoining, whilst it also messes up the Order of Merit calculations. However, as we approach November, I guess it is time I need to start thinking about "Cleansing" the system. However, this may not be something I have any control of, we are not a members club. For example, my access to the system if limited to handicaps / competitions, I cannot access membership data to Edit. So, I cannot add a new member, and must wait for the Owners to put them on the system before I can Edit their handicap. So, presumably I cannot delete players either, so it will be the Owners responsibility to "Cleanse" the system? Also, if this is done, what if one of these players rejoins within a year, or comes back in several years? Is there handicap data easily accessible from the system or is it lost?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can run the Annual Review more than once but unless you run a lot of qualifiers during the winter, I would go for January, well before the start of the playing season proper.

ClubV1 has two files for members. One for membership administration and the other for handicapping. They are linked but you have to create and link a handicap record to a membership account when he is given a handicap. You can delete handicap record and that will not affect the membership data. There a number of different statuses a handicap record can have. The handicap file is the only link to the CDH
A periodic joint exercise with the 'Owner' to reconciles the two files may be worthwhile.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we had Cobra the C status happened automatically. When we switched to IG it took us a few months to realise it had to be done manually.

We run our annual review anytime between 1st January and end of March and the continuous once every 3 months.

The club secretary (who is not the club manager) looks after most aspects associated with the admin side of handicaps.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
you can run the year end reports from October, you also should have a meeting of the handicap committee before the end of the year to discus them. I run 2 reports, one if the suggested handicap changes and the other is the summary of scores which shows the best 10 nett differential scores. We use these to decide on end of season adjustments.

Once that is done I process the changes and then run the year end option.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have a specific 'year end' procedure to run on IG. There are 2 reports that I am most interested in at this time of year which are the players due to lose 'c' status at 31st December and the Annual Review. I send an email to all those who have not put enough cards in on 1st November to nudge them to do so, then it's a manual process to reset competition status after 1st January. Annual Review I like to do before year end but may leave this til next year now.
The 'cleansing' refers to tidying up anomalies between club handicap records and the Central Database of Handicaps, and this is an all year round hassle. It's agreeing leavers and new joiners for example, and who's is the home club. I think it should be looked after by membership team but i sometimes get involved.