Order of Merit to be renamed?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I didn't think la mancha was too far away, hay ho I have learned something.

Strangely, I have found that when down on at puerto banus or down in salou on the costa daurada it is quite hard to find Faustino in quantities. Places seem to just go sangria mad!

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stick to the Rioja and avoid the sangria (means bleeding in Spanish, by the way). Good night, I've got an 8.18 tee time tomorrow.

B

birdieman

The road to Dubai has somehow evolved into the wine-lovers guide to Northern Spain...with a bit of Yank bashing along the way...what a great forum!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some interesting comments-I believe the Dubai event will be the last event in the 2009 European Order of Merit. My understanding is that a player must first of all be a paid up memebr of the European Tour and play in a minimum number of events-i think 11 is the current number--Tiger does not qualify on these two conditions. I assume he could play the tournament but could not win the bonus money on offer.

Tiger would have won the European order of merit this year if he joined the tour and play just 3 normal events-The 4 majors,3 WGC events count he also played in Dubai-8 events in total.

The PGA tour naturally has the best prize fund as they have access to the major corporations(Sponsors-so USA golfers do not feel the need to travel to continue their golfing education-they are happy with target golf week in week out-at least the European Tour visits different countries with different climate and therefore different grass and different golf courses leading the European players to learn different shots for different courses. I agree there should be more tournaments played on links courses but it is difficult to get members to close their course for a period to allow the Tour set up the course-thats the main reason courses like Loch Lomond, K club & Adare Manor host tournaments-as an irishman it is sad that the Irish Open is not played on a links course but money talks.