Orange Tees

Bobthesock

Visit site
The tee that you play from should be based on your lowest iron. People with a 7 hybrid or 11 wood are perfect candidates for the orange tees ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Good idea, One of the courses here has done the same (about 100-150yds on each hole)

My usual course has added a forward green tee set up for juniors/new starters etc at a dinky 5350yds, it takes away most of the issues with carries off the tee and leaves all the other obstacles still in play

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have always said it doesn't matter what tees you play from as long as you enjoy it, after all that is why we supposedly play the game, for pleasure.

I have seen on quiet a few courses I have visited, forward tee of varying colours and presumed they were for juniors or beginners.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have academy tees(blue) which are usually halfway down the fairway. There is a separate membership category for those players

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
We still have 3 tees but changed from red, yellow and white to gold, white & black in (I think) an attempt to go from gender/competition-based tees to ability-based

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We now have five colours of tees. White, Yellow, Red, Blue and Orange. It's starting to sound like Reservoir Dogs!
Not on every hole though.
According to that vid, Orange tees are only on 6 holes. So shortened course for the shorter attention span of youngsters/beginners too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have very short tees on our 9 hole course e,g on the second a par 4 dogleg the tee is actually at the angle of the dogleg. They were put in mainly for young junior players.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We still have 3 tees but changed from red, yellow and white to gold, white & black in (I think) an attempt to go from gender/competition-based tees to ability-based
Courses are rated/sloped to allow handicaps to be adjusted for differences in ability.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Courses are rated/sloped to allow handicaps to be adjusted for differences in ability.

Understood, but surely there were the same 3 course/slope ratings when they were red, yellow and white? They're just gold, white and black now? It's the change of colour that seems a bit.....meh

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I know about colours, orange should be in between the reds and the yellows really. ?

Shorter than reds should be, brown or pink or something.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My brothers course have these orange tees for as long as I can remember.

Apparently the kids are well drilled. They have all day to play in the summer and stand aside as soon as any adults appear.

Think it was something like 60 pounds for the year for membership. Full 18 orange holes.

Always liked that idea.

My place has a great par3 course for the juniors. Orange tees is a great transition for them to move to playing the full course. I'd love to see them implemented at my place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not the one you put your golf balls on, but shorter tees introduced by our course and designed for people getting into golf, younger members, etc.
Good to see the course is trying to encourage more people who may be intimidated by the longer course.
Blimey, the trees down the rhs of the 1st have grown a lot…mind you the practice ground the other side of the trees didn’t exist back in my day.

Anyway. It’s something we’ve done also, we have little concrete disks set in each fairway so avoiding what can be difficult carries off the tee for newbies and academy members. I don’t think they are formally measured in any way.