Orange Ball Anyone?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last time I played with an orange ball was way back in the 1970s.
Fluorescent colours were popular for a short time - clothes, cars etc.

Uniroyal Plus 6 with hexagonal dimples. (Could not find a pic of an orange one)

View attachment 52633
Known by the pros at the time as Urinals.

Many club Pros signed up with them as they doubled their personal ball allocation of rivals Dunlop and Slazenger.

Albo

Visit site
Ha I missed the memo given I was reading it on the 3rd, though in fairness I’d probably have missed it even if I had read it on Monday.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
MyGolfSpy had a thing a while back regarding the Titleist pro v1 , they tested the white and yellow version and found differences in spin and distance between the two. So while the above is an obvious April fools joke there is actually a tiny truth in it, from what I recall the difference was tiny and not something anyone would notice on course but a difference all the same.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yellow Pv1s are definitely more clicky and don’t spin as much.

They sparkle in the sun though, which is nice.

sjw

Visit site
MyGolfSpy had a thing a while back regarding the Titleist pro v1 , they tested the white and yellow version and found differences in spin and distance between the two. So while the above is an obvious April fools joke there is actually a tiny truth in it, from what I recall the difference was tiny and not something anyone would notice on course but a difference all the same.
The yellow Pro V1 carried 4 yards further with driver than the white one

sunshine

Visit site
I like the Callaway matte green too, really easy to follow in air and see on ground, you can also try:

Wilson 'Chaos' green (dunno if available in UK)
Srixon softfeel green (on sale at clubhouse golf just now £15.99 !)
even Inesis soft 500 green from decathlon are decent

Volvik were the first I saw, they are certainly in the "cheap and cheerful" category, but now Vice, Bridgestone and even Titleist are getting on the lime green bandwagon. As well as the brands you mentioned.

Taylormade the only major brand I can think of that doesn't sell green balls now. Although they do a ball with a big green stripe

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, the pros at the time needed to be able to afford a 3-litre Ford Capri. Orange of course, because they went faster.

View attachment 52655

My next door neighbour was the manager of the Aldershot banger racing track. He got to drive one of those and reckoned it was one of the hardest cars to drive he had ever known. We used to see a wide variety of cars outside his house, probably something to do with his job.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Was too you to have one but used to get a lift to work in one and it was awesome.
I got a lift in a black one to an under-35s match when I was a teenager. I thought it was daft/bonkers/silly.

I think Ford made the same mistake years later with "The Probe".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Volvik were the first I saw, they are certainly in the "cheap and cheerful" category, but now Vice, Bridgestone and even Titleist are getting on the lime green bandwagon. As well as the brands you mentioned.

Taylormade the only major brand I can think of that doesn't sell green balls now. Although they do a ball with a big green stripe
My mate uses these. When it's sitting stripe-up in the rough or plugged, it practically camouflages the bloody thing.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I got a lift in a black one to an under-35s match when I was a teenager. I thought it was daft/bonkers/silly.

I think Ford made the same mistake years later with "The Probe".
My mate had a probe and the owners club he was a member of went along to York drag way. I always remember spitting my drink out when he pulled away from the line and the kid behind me said “my mam’s little river is faster than them!” 😂