Options

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For those of you who cant afford 4 wedges but want more options from under 100 yards, try this.

Take you PW, hold it at the bottom of the grip (pos.1) swing back to 9 o'clock (left arm pointing at 9 o'clock) and through to 3 o'clock (right arm pointing at 3 o'clock)
Measure the average distance that goes, write it down.
Then do the same holding the grip in the middle, (pos. 2) average and write it down. Then do the same holding the grip at the top (pos.3) average distance, write it down.

That's 3 different yardages.

Now swing back to 10 o'clock and through to 2 o'clock and measure all 3 grip positions. Write it own.

Thats now 6 yardages.

Now do the same but swing back to 11 o'clock and through to 1 o'clock, 3 different grip positions. Write it down.

Now we have 9 yardages with one club.

Repeat with GW and SW write them down.

27 different yardages so far

Write down the important yardages for you, say 25, 30, 35. 40 etc etc on a piece of paper and either stick it to your shafts or in a book in your pocket.

Then when you have say a 45 yard shot, you'll know its a GW pos. 1, 10 o'clock or whatever your distances are.

If you need more than 27 yardages, buy a lob wedge

36 different yardages
:)

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice Bob. I do play about with 'dropping my hands' on some of my courses par 3's. Although to be honest (fundy and region will disagree) my wedge play is the best part of my game. I seem to get in the zone with these shots and it feels so comfortable. Must be all the time spent on the pitch and putts as a youngun'

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, if I wanted to do all that writing I would stay at work on a Wednesday instead of playing golf - can you lend me a pencil?

Chris

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stop calling our Bob a plagiariser

Pelz only goes 7.30, 9 and 10.30

Bob has 10, 11, quarter past midnight and 2.30 am (the John Daly uber-flop) - much more value for money than Davey -boy

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know it's trial and error to a degree, but how far would you expect gripping halfway down would reduce a 50yds shot by?

Also, can many people get their arms to 11 o'clock? Would you call that a full shot?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The difference in yardage moving up and down the grip is purely an individual figure. You have to experiment yourself and see what the change in your swing is. For me it's about 5 yds between bottom and middle of the grip on a 50 yd shot

As far as swinging back to 11 o'clock, I would say that is pretty much almost a full swing.
To a lot of golfers, they carry on the backswing by bending the left elbow, therefor achieving a 'full backswing' They are often amazed how far they can hit the ball when they 'only' swing back to 11 o'clock :)