One thing….

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
If you could say one thing that changed your game for the better, a eureka moment almost, what would it be for you….

I haven’t got one hence asking the question and maybe it will help others ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shortening the backswing. Doesn't look pretty and probably looks like a half swing to some people, but my strike was immediately more consistent when I started trying it (probably 4 years ago or something), and I didn't really lose much distance since I was striking it better anyway. If I try and swing all the way up to parallel at the top now I can barely make contact with the ball. ?

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really focusing on what the club head is doing.

In reality there were many things that came before that to get my swing to where it is, however none of that is worth anything if the club head doesn't make decent contact with the ball.

RichA

Visit site
Leaving fairway woods, hybrids and any wedge over 56° in the garage and just concentrating on striking the ball properly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've probably got a few but the best, keep my left arm straight on my backswing. I should add that I always thought I did but video evidence proved otherwise. Now I make sure it does.

Boomy

Visit site
Working on the driver… “drive for dough, putt for extra dough”

I 100% disagree with “drive for show, putt for dough”

If I’m in play off the tee I’ve a chance to card a good score regardless of how I’m putting. If I’m in trouble off the tee then it’s bogey & double time.. If I’m in play off the tee and putting well then… PB time!

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Working on the driver… “drive for dough, putt for extra dough”

I 100% disagree with “drive for show, putt for dough”

If I’m in play off the tee I’ve a chance to card a good score regardless of how I’m putting. If I’m in trouble off the tee then it’s bogey & double time.. If I’m in play off the tee and putting well then… PB time!

You might want to listen to Mark Broadie. He does a good interview on the Sweet spot podcast. He 'invented' the strokes gained thing.
Completely debunks the myth of 'drive for show putt for dough'. The greatest loss of shots is from the driver. I've always known that but hearing it it a rational argument makes me feel better.
He also points out that the pros ain't as good as we think they are.

We beat ourselves up for being rubbish at the game because we compare ourselves to what we see on the TV. The TV shows the best shots so we think they're doing that all the time. I think this is the one thing I wish I knew when I started.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For my swing...a slight pause at the top of the backswing, just like a child on a swing.
For scoring...trying to play every hole the best I can, ignoring the par or S.I.