One length hybrids anyone use?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My god.

I discovered them about 2 years ago now. Been using a 4 and a 5 one length .. the 4 is great for long shots and 5 great out rough back into play down fairway

Just added a 3 and ditched my 3 wood as My course is very below and above feet lies and I find the 7 iron length easier to control

They really are brilliant

Anyone else use?

I don't use one length anything else it's normal irons and wedges with a normal driver

Unique combo but it really works I find

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
My go to club out the bag which is a cobra one length 3 hybrid which is the same length as an 8i.

Often get the piss taken out of me for it as it looks like a child’s club.

On a summers day like today I’m getting 260 with roll. When it goes it’s brilliant and very easy to hit compared to the lowest iron in the bag (one L 5i). Obviously huge gapping issues between the two but I’m still trying to sort my bag out.

Found myself taking my driver out on only a few holes now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My go to club out the bag which is a cobra one length 3 hybrid which is the same length as an 8i.

Often get the piss taken out of me for it as it looks like a child’s club.

On a summers day like today I’m getting 260 with roll. When it goes it’s brilliant and very easy to hit compared to the lowest iron in the bag (one L 5i). Obviously huge gapping issues between the two but I’m still trying to sort my bag out.

I've managed to sort the gapping as I have a 6 iron as my lowest iron and then 5 4 3 one length so it goes up nicely

Stopping them is impossible compared as they just want to run

But hey if I'm just trying to get as far as possible their perfect

3 is going to be my second shot on par 5 club ...on a good day It should bring it into range

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I've managed to sort the gapping as I have a 6 iron as my lowest iron and then 5 4 3 one length so it goes up nicely

Stopping them is impossible compared as they just want to run

But hey if I'm just trying to get as far as possible their perfect

3 is going to be my second shot on par 5 club ...on a good day It should bring it into range

I have no control in stopping anything with these clubs but I thought that was just a flaw in the way I hit the ball as I don’t gain a great amount of apex? I’ve tried to change my ball to induce more spin also but still not much change. Maybe it’s not just me?

Further down the line I’d like to change my cavity back 1L’s to the blade versions which I always thought would give me a better chance at stopping the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no control in stopping anything with these clubs but I thought that was just a flaw in the way I hit the ball as I don’t gain a great amount of apex? I’ve tried to change my ball to induce more spin also but still not much change. Maybe it’s not just me?

Further down the line I’d like to change my cavity back 1L’s to the blade versions which I always thought would give me a better chance at stopping the ball.
I'd suggest you be wary of making that change (at least completely), if solely for that reason. I believe there are likely to be better ways to stop the ball, presumably for front pins, than switching from forgiving and consistent CBs to blades - unless your ball-striking is much better than most.
There are ways of designing CBs that get similar peak height/descent angles to blades, (eg tungsten in the sole) without losing the forgivability advantage CBs have over Blades. I believe it's worth considering how often you have a front pin with no danger short - so a blade would be advantageous - compared to the number of times where knowing you will be on the green but with maybe a slightly lower chance of birdie, because of the extra rollout CBs tend to give.
Perhaps a combo set would be worth considering - with the switch point depending on an ego-less assessment of your strike quality? This is an area where a fitting session - even if self-performed - is beneficial.
Btw Matt Fitzpatrick used CBs to win the US Open, though plenty of players use blades, at least as 'scoring' clubs. They are the best ball strikers in the world though!
All that said, there is nothing like the joy that a well struck blade gives!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I'd suggest you be wary of making that change (at least completely), if solely for that reason. I believe there are likely to be better ways to stop the ball, presumably for front pins, than switching from forgiving and consistent CBs to blades - unless your ball-striking is much better than most.
There are ways of designing CBs that get similar peak height/descent angles to blades, (eg tungsten in the sole) without losing the forgivability advantage CBs have over Blades. I believe it's worth considering how often you have a front pin with no danger short - so a blade would be advantageous - compared to the number of times where knowing you will be on the green but with maybe a slightly lower chance of birdie, because of the extra rollout CBs tend to give.
Perhaps a combo set would be worth considering - with the switch point depending on an ego-less assessment of your strike quality? This is an area where a fitting session - even if self-performed - is beneficial.
Btw Matt Fitzpatrick used CBs to win the US Open, though plenty of players use blades, at least as 'scoring' clubs. They are the best ball strikers in the world though!
All that said, there is nothing like the joy that a well struck blade gives!

Nice one.

Not really sure if cobra do a combo set in the 1L’s?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not really sure if cobra do a combo set in the 1L’s?
That's where fitters have a place.
There's likely to be one in your 'area' albeit not necessarily close - and the top ones can be quite/very expensive. But the confidence of knowing that your kit is 'right for you' can definitely be worthwhile. Edinburgh, Wigan, Byfleet and Basingstoke certainly have ones with 'top' reputations, and there may be more these days. I also knew one through another forum, but he stopped to utilise the PhD he also gained!