On the hunt for a new putter

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Birthday is coming up, I have £56 in my pro shop account and now looking to invest in a new putter. Currently using a Nike Method Core MC01W, its a nice putter but I think I'm in the market for something a bit heavier to help me get a better stroke.

Looking at Odyssey Works Versa 7 and possibly with a super stroke grip as I can be wristy at times.

9 time out of 10, I'm leaving the putts short, on the right line but not enough umph.

Anyone have or tried the Odyssey Works range? What are your thoughts on them?

Our club had a fitting day which I was unable to make, so didn't get to have a play and now they only do the odd putter in the pro shop so can't test one out there.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a play in AG recently they had standard and super stroke grips in stock. I was taken with the works range. Just appears i have bid an won a 2 ball fang...... :D

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Try going elsewhere to get fitted or at least try and then place your order with the pro at your club.

I changed my grip to a superstroke, really helped my putting but I find I do leave more short with it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you want a heavy putter to smooth a stroke, look at the Odyssey Tank range.

I tried a Tank, just to see what the fuss was about counter balanced putters.

I after an initial honeymoon I moved back to a stock length and weigh putter, albeit with a heavier head (Napa style).

Worth a look/try though pal :thup:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you looking at the counterbalance ones? They seem really good - I had a roll with one in AG over the weekend and it felt like a really nice pendulum.

I'm considering one and I don't even need a new putter!!

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
I have an odyssey works 2 ball fang with superstroke grip.

I find it hard to get to the hole, our greens are quite slow right enough and i struggle to hit it on bigger putts.

I feel its deadly inside 10ft. Just anything near 20ft im leaving 5ft short everytime.

It could possibly be for sale if thats what you are after haha

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got the works versa tank 7. Wouldn't change it for anything...it's superb. Distance putting isn't particularly difficult...It's user related rather than putter related if they can't do it!

Give it a whirl!

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Been reading up about the ping cadence tr putters any one got one or any views on them

I just got a Ping Ketsch cadence TR... The heavier version. Too early to say as I've only had one practice round with it... Will use it for the first time in anger on Monday. Initial thoughts are really good though.. I prefer a heavier putter so it does the job, it's very stable, the grip is a little thicker than standard and for a mallet I think it looks pretty good.

Liam1984

Medal Winner
Visit site
I just got a Ping Ketsch cadence TR... The heavier version. Too early to say as I've only had one practice round with it... Will use it for the first time in anger on Monday. Initial thoughts are really good though.. I prefer a heavier putter so it does the job, it's very stable, the grip is a little thicker than standard and for a mallet I think it looks pretty good.

I'll look on here Monday you can give us a verdict

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the good luck message... It seemed to do the trick.

So I managed to win 3&2, but more importantly the putter review... I putted pretty solidly and holed a few really important ones. I' not the best putter and I wouldn't say I putted amazingly - I didn't drop any really long ones, but like I say I holed some clutch puts which isn't normally something I do. Because of the match I didn't concentrate too much on the putter but felt very comfortable from 4-6 feet which is usually when I get a but twitchy especially as our greens can be lightening fast... Think with the heavier putter it just seemed to do the work for me and my sometimes waggle in the backswing is ironed out due to the heavier club. I'm a big believer in the TR groves as well as I think people would be surprised how often they miss the sweet spot, even on a putter.

So overall I'm really happy with it... But of course it's a very personal thing with a putter... I've got the one for a "slight arc" swing and hit the one in the shop for a "straight" swing and it didn't feel great - so important to get the right one.

Could just us be the honeymoon period, but so far so good...