Olympics

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The same horse refused in a previous heat for a different rider too apparently. Feel for the rider as that’s just random animal stubbornness that’s cost her a medal
I believe she had the option to use another. She declined - perhaps because she had already had the 20/30mins, or however long she was allowed, to 'acquaint herself' with her mount. But that turned out to be a bad decision.
Certainly unfortunate as she was in Gold Medal position!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Horse meat isn't fatty enough for burgers. Unless you add a bit of pork belly.

It's delicious cold smoked though.
It’s a sausage meat.

In our local version of the Oktoberfest (Freimarkt) the 1st stall from the train station in is the horse sausage stand for as long as I can remember.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit confused about the horse thing. Was it ...

1. Horse bit jumpy
2. Rider not dealing well
3. Horse gets punched
4. Horse throws total strop
5. Rider implodes.

or

1. Horse throws total strop
2. Rider implodes
3. Horse gets punched

D-S

Visit site
Bit confused about the horse thing. Was it ...

1. Horse bit jumpy
2. Rider not dealing well
3. Horse gets punched
4. Horse throws total strop
5. Rider implodes.

or

1. Horse throws total strop
2. Rider implodes
3. Horse gets punched
Bit of both

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder how the Japanese view it now it has happened? I feel very sorry for them as a nation that they have not been able to hold a regular Olympics, that they have not been able to enjoy it as they should be able to.

I imagine tinged with sadness but also pride that, despite the situation, they made a good job of the games. As a TV viewer I never really felt the lack of spectators to be an issue but then we've grown accustomed to that and also it seemed the teams did their best to support their athletes.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder how the Japanese view it now it has happened? I feel very sorry for them as a nation that they have not been able to hold a regular Olympics, that they have not been able to enjoy it as they should be able to.

The Japanese must have felt a real disconnect with the games, saw on the news the wall that surrounded the stadium to keep them away, it reminded me of the film The Truman Show.

RichA

Visit site
The Japanese must have felt a real disconnect with the games, saw on the news the wall that surrounded the stadium to keep them away, it reminded me of the film The Truman Show.
The BBC News report that talked about Tokyo drowning under a rising sea of COVID infections? I saw that and checked the data. Japan has almost double the population of the UK and is experiencing / has experienced a fraction of our infection and death rates, although they are behind on vaccinations.
It felt like the report was desperate to create a negative angle on the games, which I thought was disappointing.
Spectators or not, I would imagine that the Japanese public are rightly proud of their achievements in hosting the games and the successes of their sportspeople.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The BBC News report that talked about Tokyo drowning under a rising sea of COVID infections? I saw that and checked the data. Japan has almost double the population of the UK and is experiencing / has experienced a fraction of our infection and death rates, although they are behind on vaccinations.
It felt like the report was desperate to create a negative angle on the games, which I thought was disappointing.
Spectators or not, I would imagine that the Japanese public are rightly proud of their achievements in hosting the games and the successes of their sportspeople.

I cannot remember the last Olympics where the press were not predicting a disaster. Japan should be rightly proud of what they put on and it is just a massive shame that it was not the Olympics that they deserved. If nothing else, this pandemic has shown that with global TV and sponsorship deals all paid for, events go ahead whether it is in the best interests of the competitors or the country hosting and that is a shame.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

That was the bbc news I watched I’m getting to the stage now that I try and watch channel 4 news as that’s much better.
However the report did state that there were a severe shortage of tests in Tokyo and I believe that team GB had 20,000 tests done in 40 days I think that goes some way into my thinking about these games.