Olympics

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like that horse was a plant and had never been ridden before!! Saint Boy...someone was having a laugh!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The biggest thing I hate about Covid's impact on the Olympics is the mask wearing during the medal ceremonies. The emotions are somewhat missed/diluted with just the eyes showing (for me).

Not sure why they then take them off for the photos though?!

Couldn’t agree more absolutely pathetic

D

Deleted member 15344

is the refusal a horse issue or the rider?
Felt awful for the rider - must be so hard after working all those years and to see it fall apart because of the luck of the draw with the horse just not wanting to do anything

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Felt awful for the rider - must be so hard after working all those years and to see it fall apart because of the luck of the draw with the horse just not wanting to do anything

The same horse had misbehaved in its previous run for another rider. Each horse gets allocated to two riders. Riders have the option of going for a reserve horse if they want.

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s meant to be like a military discipline. In that you’d be expected to be able to run, shoot, swim, ride etc
The idea of getting pot luck with the horse is like just getting on a horse and riding into battle or as a messenger.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if a horse won’t move it won’t move no matter what.
My cousin has done some local level show jumping, follows the pro circuit around Europe in the summer as a spectator. His partner has looked after horses all of his life that have been involved in eventing, show jumping etc. I asked his views on this and he was very scornful of the riding ability of quite a few of the riders and he had little sympathy for the athlete involved in this incident.

The general gist of this event, in his view, is that most expect the horse to take them around and little time is spent in practicing horse riding, concentrating on the other 4 events. When they get a horse that needs skill to get it round then they are often in trouble.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My cousin has done some local level show jumping, follows the pro circuit around Europe in the summer as a spectator. His partner has looked after horses all of his life that have been involved in eventing, show jumping etc. I asked his views on this and he was very scornful of the riding ability of quite a few of the riders and he had little sympathy for the athlete involved in this incident.

The general gist of this event, in his view, is that most expect the horse to take them around and little time is spent in practicing horse riding, concentrating on the other 4 events. When they get a horse that needs skill to get it round then they are often in trouble.

I don't know much about riding BUT she was basically in tears before she managed to get the horse going forwards as it was misbehaving. I think we all know animals feed off our anxiety so it was only going to get worse.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know much about riding BUT she was basically in tears before she managed to get the horse going forwards as it was misbehaving. I think we all know animals feed off our anxiety so it was only going to get worse.
He very much made this point. Horses, animals, feed off the people around them. If the rider is anxious, in tears, not confident then the horse will just get worse. She just became a nervous weight on the horse, no wonder it didn't jump.

D-S

Visit site
The expert/former Olympian in the BBC studio this afternoon out it mainly down to operator (rider) error.
It’d be interesting to see this way of equipment selection being applied to other sports - an offshoot of F1 for example.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit like getting to the final of a major foursomes competition, not having your normal partner, and being allocated a partner who you don't know and have never played with. It might work; but it might go very badly wrong.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great effort at the end
However go back to sprint 10 lost a point right at the death needlessly.
Wether that would have won them the gold because they would only have been level on points I don’t know.

They could have lost everything by pushing for that single sprint as there’s no coming back from an empty tank. Look at what happened to Belgium trying to break away mid race, they had no legs at the end. Strategy was good and silver is a great result in that field.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
They could have lost everything by pushing for that single sprint as there’s no coming back from an empty tank. Look at what happened to Belgium trying to break away mid race, they had no legs at the end. Strategy was good and silver is a great result in that field.

True
But they had 2nd place in the bag but he sat up,it wouldn’t have been any extra effort he was already there.
Anyway a Silver is great