Olympics

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swimming and track cycling can at times create excessive medals per individual if events are too tight together. It doesn't mean that those individuals are not exceptional but it can schew the numbers. That's pretty clear when you look at individual medal hauls.

sunshine

Visit site
Well I can see a sensible conversation with you isn't a reasonable expectation. So I'll leave you to it.

I'm being flippant but I think it's a fair point. Freestyle is the genuine test of who is the fastest. What's the purpose of medals for separate strokes?

I think it's valid to compete over different distances, because they are testing outright speed v endurance.

sunshine

Visit site
I suppose I can see a bit of the point being made. Each swimming event is simply travelling a distance and making it harder or more difficult by varying the way it is done. Whilst a bit of a comical argument, it is the similar to asking someone to do the 100m backwards (backstroke) or by adopting a particular mannerism in your running technique. To match track events with pool events, you would only differentiate between distances and entrant would be free to use whatever stroke they felt propelled them to the finish line quicker so, potentially, some usng crawl, others butterfly etc.

There is sort of a point to be made that swimming increases its events by imposting technique rather than focusing on getting from A to B quickest.

Well put. You've phrased your argument much more tactfully than me :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swimming and track cycling can at times create excessive medals per individual if events are too tight together. It doesn't mean that those individuals are not exceptional but it can schew the numbers. That's pretty clear when you look at individual medal hauls.
Not just the individuals but the nations totals at the end. In 2016 we came 2nd with 27 golds - but a whole 6 of those were in cycling alone! Some of them with made-up words like 'omnium' and 'keirin'. What on earth?? Just countless made-up events for the sake of it, stat-padding our numbers somewhat.

sunshine

Visit site
Not just the individuals but the nations totals at the end. In 2016 we came 2nd with 27 golds - but a whole 6 of those were in cycling alone! Some of them with made-up words like 'omnium' and 'keirin'. What on earth?? Just countless made-up events for the sake of it, stat-padding our numbers somewhat.

It's no secret that the GB Olympic team set out to target "softer" events where there is less competition and it is easier to win a gold. It was a long term strategy and has paid off.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm being flippant but I think it's a fair point. Freestyle is the genuine test of who is the fastest. What's the purpose of medals for separate strokes?

I think it's valid to compete over different distances, because they are testing outright speed v endurance.

Why not just go and play golf with one club?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Once round the track and that's it. Sorted but very dull. Lots of tactics in the different events.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the Olympics. Love watching some sports we never see on mainstream TV. It is the pinnacle of many athletes careers and they work incredibly hard to try and win a medal. Love it. Love it. 2012 was just an amazing summer of sport - still get a bit emotional thinking about it. "Throw those curtains wide..."

sunshine

Visit site
Brisbane gets the nod for 2032. I’m glad the IOC resisted a bid from Qatar. Only a matter of time before a sportwashing Middle East bid wins.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To much money going into elite sport to win medals for little long term benefits to grass roots sports is the reason I’m not that fussed about the Olympics

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Since the parameters of play and the equipment are the same, then yes.

Not sure I agree - my strategy is very different when playing matchplay to strokeplay, or 4 ball better ball. If running events were all the same then you would run flat out from the strat - but no, you vary the strategy (and indeed practice and training).

On top of that the number of people (not you I know) saying we should have team and matchplay golf at Olympics to add variety - can't please all the people any of the time!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I agree - my strategy is very different when playing matchplay to strokeplay, or 4 ball better ball. If running events were all the same then you would run flat out from the strat - but no, you vary the strategy (and indeed practice and training).

On top of that the number of people (not you I know) saying we should have team and matchplay golf at Olympics to add variety - can't please all the people any of the time!
Of course there are different types of running, but we don't need 7 or 8 distances. I'd have 100 metres sprint, maybe a middling one like 400, and then a long distance one like 5000. Why do you need all the other ones in between??

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To much money going into elite sport to win medals for little long term benefits to grass roots sports is the reason I’m not that fussed about the Olympics

Don't agree at all. Where I live there are lots of opportunities for kids to develop in sport. Two early mornings a week those with a real interest get bussed from across the county to a sports facility for coaching and training. Athletics, football and rugby all covered.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love the Olympics, will watch all kinds of sports I wouldn't normally get to enjoy... I'm mostly an athletics fan but will give virtually any sport some time during this amazing event.

Reading through some of these comments though... Cancel culture seems to be taking over people's minds in every aspect of life.

D

Deleted member 15344

There have been a lot of long term benefits with sports that aren’t in the headlines - a lot of those sports that never got any money previously are booming , lots of hickey pitches built , pools built up take on many sports - there is a lot that goes back into grass roots at the non headline sports.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love it all, all of the different bike races from the full-on hard sprints, to the tactical one, team races, then the road race and time trials, all requiring very different skillsets and abilities, and the same is said for the swimming, (expect butterfly! That's a stupid stroke!!) Can't wait to watch Adam Peaty, the man is an absolute machine!

Bring it on! Good luck team GB! Hope that covid does not spoil the spectacle (even if I think it should have been cancelled, but it's happening so bring it on!)

sunshine

Visit site
Really?
If more than 1 type of swimming is stooped, so is more than 1 golf club.

That analogy doesn't work at all.

The objective of golf is to complete the course in the fewest number of strokes. It doesn't matter what club you use, what techniques or what strategy, all that matters is the score.

I think sport is purer when there is a simple objective: like fastest time or most goals.

With swimming, adding different techniques like butterfly seems to over complicate things. To use your analogy, it's the equivalent of having separate golf gold medals for the lowest score with irons only, punch shots only, draw only, fade only etc.

I'm not trying to knock swimmers - they are some of the finest athletes in the world with incredible dedication.