Olympics

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw that one of the British shooting team has had to withdraw after testing positive. She as one of the favourites as well.

Surely not out of the realms of possibility to have people shoot in isolation and to compete on their own in solo events, even to allow rounds to be completed later on if need be. Not ideal but surely some concessions are needed to make sure this Games is a competition between the best as I guess that this will not be the last case.

sunshine

Visit site
Like most comments so far, I like the idea of the Olympics but feel it has become bloated in the search to be super inclusive. Orikoru made a good point about the athletics 100m v 200m etc. But other sports are much worse, swimming in particular devalues the prestige of a gold medal when Phelps can win 8 golds at a single games.

sunshine

Visit site
Saw that one of the British shooting team has had to withdraw after testing positive. She as one of the favourites as well.

Surely not out of the realms of possibility to have people shoot in isolation and to compete on their own in solo events, even to allow rounds to be completed later on if need be. Not ideal but surely some concessions are needed to make sure this Games is a competition between the best as I guess that this will not be the last case.

It's not even a sport is it?

sunshine

Visit site
I have no interest in any of the fighting competitions, I don't see the point in differentiating the different types of fighting. There should be 2 medals: men's fighting and women's fighting.

It is crazy that they have different weight categories for fighting. Surely the winner should be the best regardless of weight. There aren't different categories for the triple jump.

Olympic golf is quite simple, with a men's and women's event (although I don't believe golf should be at the games at all - but that's another argument). Other sports could benefit from streamlining like this.

D

Deleted member 16999

Like most comments so far, I like the idea of the Olympics but feel it has become bloated in the search to be super inclusive. Orikoru made a good point about the athletics 100m v 200m etc. But other sports are much worse, swimming in particular devalues the prestige of a gold medal when Phelps can win 8 golds at a single games.
Not aimed at you personally as I’m unaware if you have any involvement in the sport.

But for anyone who has not been involved in Swimming at National or even Regional Level, the comment about Phelps is actually the opposite to how you feel about it and shows a lack of understanding, to win 8 in one Olympics is absolutely incredible, to even compete at that many is at a level nobody on here will probably understand.

He should be revered rather than dismissed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not aimed at you personally as I’m unaware if you have any involvement in the sport.

But for anyone who has not been involved in Swimming at National or even Regional Level, the comment about Phelps is actually the opposite to how you feel about it and shows a lack of understanding, to win 8 in one Olympics is absolutely incredible, to even compete at that many is at a level nobody on here will probably understand.

Because he was really good at swimming, 8 times?? :unsure:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

He has to compete multiple times as opposed to his competition that swim a lot less.

Plus different strokes require differing techniques. If it were that simple. They'd all compete in multiple swimming events.

And "really good". He's a sporting legend as worthy of that description as Woods, Federer, Bolt etc

D

Deleted member 16999

He has a total of 28 Medals, 23 of which are gold, he is probably up there with being one of the fittest people on earth at his prime as well as possibly being the greatest ever Olympian.

To maintain that level at 4 Olympics is unreal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He has to compete multiple times as opposed to his competition that swim a lot less.

Plus different strokes require differing techniques. If it were that simple. They'd all compete in multiple swimming events.

And "really good". He's a sporting legend as worthy of that description as Woods, Federer, Bolt etc
He has a total of 28 Medals, 23 of which are gold, he is probably up there with being one of the fittest people on earth at his prime as well as possibly being the greatest ever Olympian.

To maintain that level at 4 Olympics is unreal.
All of this is obviously true, but it doesn't negate @sunshine 's point that there are far too many swimming events at the Olympics. I don't think his intention was to have a go at Phelps was it?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
All of this is obviously true, but it doesn't negate @sunshine 's point that there are far too many swimming events at the Olympics. I don't think his intention was to have a go at Phelps was it?
I'm not sure there are too many.

Maybe if you go down the lengths route I could see a point. But certainly not the styles.

Same for running really. The difference between 100, 200 and 400 is significant imo.

sunshine

Visit site

Phelps is obviously a total legend - as you mention, it was an incredible feat winning 8 events in a single games. 22 medals in total - he has got to be the greatest swimmer ever.

But compare with Steve Redgrave, who competed in 5 different Olympics to win his 5 golds. Or Haile Gebreselassie - arguably the greatest distance runner ever - he's not going to win 8 golds in a single games is he?

I guess what I'm trying to say is some gold medals are worth more than others.

sunshine

Visit site
But certainly not the styles.

But why have different styles? Surely swimming is a race, and the winner is the first person past the post regardless of style.

Maybe athletics should even it up a little by adding a 100m running backwards race, 100m hopping on left foot, 100m hopping on right foot, etc.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But why have different styles? Surely swimming is a race, and the winner is the first person past the post regardless of style.

Maybe athletics should even it up a little by adding a 100m running backwards race, 100m hopping on left foot, 100m hopping on right foot, etc.
Well I can see a sensible conversation with you isn't a reasonable expectation. So I'll leave you to it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure there are too many.

Maybe if you go down the lengths route I could see a point. But certainly not the styles.

Same for running really. The difference between 100, 200 and 400 is significant imo.

Between 100 and 200 isn't really significant. Look at the list of finalists - there's a huge overlap.
Between 200 and 400 - yes big difference - leaving pure anaerobic effort - big difference in endurance and physiology.
400 - 800 big difference.
800-1500 small difference.
1500-5000 big difference.
5000-10000 small difference.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose I can see a bit of the point being made. Each swimming event is simply travelling a distance and making it harder or more difficult by varying the way it is done. Whilst a bit of a comical argument, it is the similar to asking someone to do the 100m backwards (backstroke) or by adopting a particular mannerism in your running technique. To match track events with pool events, you would only differentiate between distances and entrant would be free to use whatever stroke they felt propelled them to the finish line quicker so, potentially, some usng crawl, others butterfly etc.

There is sort of a point to be made that swimming increases its events by imposting technique rather than focusing on getting from A to B quickest.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Between 100 and 200 isn't really significant. Look at the list of finalists - there's a huge overlap.
Between 200 and 400 - yes big difference - leaving pure anaerobic effort - big difference in endurance and physiology.
400 - 800 big difference.
800-1500 small difference.
1500-5000 big difference.
5000-10000 small difference.

That's about bob on that, not all running races are equal!! LOL

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I could not agree with you more! This is exactly what I was thinking as well. Who the hell came up with stuff like 'butterfly' or whatever else they have - that's just showing off?? Surely you just have a race of a set length at swimming and let people swim it however they find most efficient and we see who the fastest is (i.e. freestyle).