Olympics

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
One thing the Olympics can give us is a good reel of highlights. I can do 2 minutes air pistol shooting, followed by 5 minutes freestyle BMX and 5 minutes climbing, … .
What I don’t want is 20 minutes of a favourite doing a false start from all angles, or a story about someone competing because as a child their dog had asthma.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I also like the opening ceremonies, ever since jet man. It caring much of hours worth of athletes marching in.
Will they have one? Corona and all those people in the centre might make it impractical.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly another fine example of the IOC showing how out of date they are. One of the teams wants to wear shorts instead of a bikini as they felt that they were too revealing. IOC are advising that they will be fined for incorrect uniform if they do.
It is a conundrum for them. Obviously they should be able to wear shorts, compulsory wearing of bikini's just confirms what it is about. Then again, remove the stag night element and why do you need beach volleyball when you already have volleyball?

For them to defend the bikini rule is plain indefensible.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sadly another fine example of the IOC showing how out of date they are. One of the teams wants to wear shorts instead of a bikini as they felt that they were too revealing. IOC are advising that they will be fined for incorrect uniform if they do.

Is this the right way round? :unsure:

I read it as the IOC already do allow players to wear other outfits to cover up more if they wish and its the European Handball Federation that don't, and recently warned of the possibility of a fine if women didn't wear the stated bikini style uniforms
Nothing about mandatory bikini outfits at olympics

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've competed in the Much Wenlock Olympics, it's not TV entertainment.

Dover's Hill Olympics above Chipping Campden have shin kicking. This I would like to see introduced.

The Cotswold Olimpicks | The forerunner to the Modern Olympics (olimpickgames.co.uk)

Another Gloucestershire tradition is cheese rolling. Sorts out the men from the boys and no doping necessary.

The World's Craziest Competition: Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling at Cooper's Hill | Quirky Customs - YouTube

This is what I call a ball game.

Brutal Atherstone Ball Game 2020 takes place in the UK - YouTube

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ll watch a fair bit so its a Yes to Golf naturally, athletics & other stadium stuff. But a no to these things:

Won’t watch anything at all from the pool & probably not any of the combat disciplines either. None of the football, basketball, hockey, baseball, none of the fencing, none of the horse stuff either. No to trampolining, weight lifting or BMX’ing & skateboarding...

Hmm maybe I wont be watching that much after all :unsure:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Showing my age here, but I remember the Tokyo Olympics in 1964.
Lynn (the leap) Davies from the Valleys won gold.
TV news coverage started with a tune called 'Good Morning Tokyo'.
It was all in black and white, and that's all I can recall.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sounds no different to some golf clubs!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this the right way round? :unsure:

I read it as the IOC already do allow players to wear other outfits to cover up more if they wish and its the European Handball Federation that don't, and recently warned of the possibility of a fine if women didn't wear the stated bikini style uniforms
Nothing about mandatory bikini outfits at olympics

My apologies if I have got it the wrong way round, I had the detials and the IOC in my head but willing to admit i am wrong if it was the European Federation threatening fines and not the Olympic Committee.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My apologies if I have got it the wrong way round, I had the detials and the IOC in my head but willing to admit i am wrong if it was the European Federation threatening fines and not the Olympic Committee.

No apology needed, just wondered if I'd maybe read it wrong

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And it was handball rather than volleyball as originally mentioned? But anyway, something doesn't add up. Do they not allow Muslim countries to take part then? Because they sure as hell wouldn't be wearing bikinis.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes I will be watching as much as I possibly can. I love sport of all types, and always enjoy the Olympics.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Obviously you're both right, and anyone's hobbies may look weird when you break it down to the component parts. But my other point was about there being a ridiculous number of events - Four different things that amount to throwing an object, there's like fifteen different running distances. There is only one football or one golf essentially. They could streamline the whole thing a bit more.

So strokeplay, matchplay, team matchplay, doubles comps are all the same are they? :unsure:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ll be watching quite a bit of it, though not the synchronised drowning amongst a few other fringe sports. Not keen on the long distance running - catch a bus for God’s sake. And not overly keen on sports that require a judge to determine who’s best, e.g. gymnastics.