Olympics

D

Deleted member 15344

?? good to see you have nailed your colours from the start

And yes I will watch it every day and get to see a lot of sports that are not normally broadcast

2012 Olympics was the best sporting event hosted in the UK in my life time

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Haven't been interested for years so I doubt I'll see any of it given the time differences
Not convinced it should be going ahead at all with no spectators and an increasing number of athletes pulling out.
Is there going to be an * against the winner's names as a big chunk of their peers won't be there..?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never been interested in it really. Who can throw a spinny plate the furthest? Who can throw a pointy stick the furthest? Who can throw a heavy ball the furthest? Why not just have one event where we can definitively see who's the best at throwing?

Who is the best at running 100 metres? Or 200 metres? Or 400 metres? Or 800 metres? Or 1500 metres? Why are there so many?? Utter nonsense.

Who is the best at jumping high? Now, who is the best at jumping high with a bendy stick??

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never been interested in it really. Who can throw a spinny plate the furthest? Who can throw a pointy stick the furthest? Who can throw a heavy ball the furthest? Why not just have one event where we can definitively see who's the best at throwing?

Who is the best at running 100 metres? Or 200 metres? Or 400 metres? Or 800 metres? Or 1500 metres? Why are there so many?? Utter nonsense.

Who is the best at jumping high? Now, who is the best at jumping high with a bendy stick??

Have to disagree with your sentiments Orikoru.
I'm sure some people think similar to us chasing a white ball around a beautifully manicured landscape.

D

Deleted member 15344

As opposed to who is the best kicking a ball around or who is the best hitting a white ball around ?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

There's a pole vaulter joke in there somewhere...

Poles, on poles. That'll keep some folks up a nights...

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s worse in the water. 100m with alternate arms, 100m with both arms at the same time, 100m with arms out front, and 100m on your back. ;-)

I will ease into it, probably ignoring most of the pre-program in the 1st week, just concentrating on when the ‘real’ events start later in the stadium.
Maybe I watch some filler events as well, just to see what they are on about. For example, Mario cart skiing was quite fun in the winter games.

I like the games, but they do drag on a lot with events people don’t care fit for 4 years, or even ever if your country doesn’t have a good one.
Has anyone ever been to a live air pistol shooting event?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally we would be well into the Olympics, and actually being there in 2012 was amazing However this year what with the time difference, no crowds and whole global situation I cannot see myself bothering with it

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

As opposed to who is the best kicking a ball around or who is the best hitting a white ball around ?

Or swatting at some feathers with a stick.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to disagree with your sentiments Orikoru.
I'm sure some people think similar to us chasing a white ball around a beautifully manicured landscape.
Obviously you're both right, and anyone's hobbies may look weird when you break it down to the component parts. But my other point was about there being a ridiculous number of events - Four different things that amount to throwing an object, there's like fifteen different running distances. There is only one football or one golf essentially. They could streamline the whole thing a bit more.

The only time I ever watched much of the Olympics was 2012, and even then I enjoyed the team sports more - even ones I would never normally watch like handball and field hockey.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Obviously you're both right, and anyone's hobbies may look weird when you break it down to the component parts. But my other point was about there being a ridiculous number of events - Four different things that amount to throwing an object, there's like fifteen different running distances. There is only one football or one golf essentially. They could streamline the whole thing a bit more.

The only time I ever watched much of the Olympics was 2012, and even then I enjoyed the team sports more - even ones I would never normally watch like handball and field hockey.
I do agree about the similarity of some events, clearly demonstrated by the fact that the same person can win loads of medals. Run really fast. Run really fast for slightly further. Run really fast with some mates. Same with track cycling and swimming (but less running involved ;)).

Overall I do really like the Olympics tho. Only the time difference will stop me watching loads of events this time round. And it's pretty much the only time I get to see any fencing - my sport from school and university.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've competed in the Much Wenlock Olympics, it's not TV entertainment.

The Olympics has evolved into a completely different animal and is primarily an entertainment/money making exercise today.
If you want grass-roots sport then go and watch a village fete where they might have tug-o-war or a basic running race.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am sure i can force myself to watch the beach volleyball.

Sadly another fine example of the IOC showing how out of date they are. One of the teams wants to wear shorts instead of a bikini as they felt that they were too revealing. IOC are advising that they will be fined for incorrect uniform if they do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sadly another fine example of the IOC showing how out of date they are. One of the teams wants to wear shorts instead of a bikini as they felt that they were too revealing. IOC are advising that they will be fined for incorrect uniform if they do.
They obviously realise any money-making potential the sport had would be dead in the water if they allow this. :LOL: