Oldest club champion 2024.

4LEX

Visit site
Surely the club champion has to be exactly that. No handicaps, best golfer wins.

Absolutely. You cannot be a Club Champion unless it's a scratch comp.

Some of the more elite traditional clubs have Spring and Autumn Medals which are off scratch and are essentially Club Championships. The majority of courses I know have a 36 hole scratch comp over two days, with the leader going out last on the Sunday.

D

Deleted member 35504

Gonna check the moon. Sure this comes up every few months and there's normally a split between the 'scratch or nothing' gang, and the 'scratch but also a net champ to keep 90%+ members interested' mob.

From previous posts I'm guessing the OP is a 'net champ' (& well done him)
Yeah don't get me wrong, we have a nett champion and it's a board comp too, it's a good one to win and he gets presented his trophy alongside the main winner.

He would never dream of calling himself the club champ though.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our Club Champion is awarded after a 2 day, 36 holes scratch competition.

There is also a nett prize.

Our Seniors Club Championship is the other way around.

D

Deleted member 35504

Don’t your clubs host the Gross and nett club championships on the same day?
Yes ours run concurrently so technically someone could win both, but the chances of the gross winner winning the nett would be pretty low.

I mean, it's very elitist because the good players don't have any chance of winning anything 51 weeks a year 😉

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey, I'm big enough to concede that I and the clubs round here seem to be in the minority. But I'd never be a big enough bell end to call someone a "fake club champion" because they won a comp based on the terms of entry and scoring.

We changed ours some 10 years ago after the same 3 plus handicap people won so frequently that people stopped playing. But if that's the minority then fair enough. But as I say, not going to walk up to the current winner and refer to him as the "fake club champion" (that was the elitist comment, not the fact of a scratch comp or otherwise).

4LEX

Visit site
Hey, I'm big enough to concede that I and the clubs round here seem to be in the minority. But I'd never be a big enough bell end to call someone a "fake club champion" because they won a comp based on the terms of entry and scoring.

We changed ours some 10 years ago after the same 3 plus handicap people won so frequently that people stopped playing. But if that's the minority then fair enough. But as I say, not going to walk up to the current winner and refer to him as the "fake club champion" (that was the elitist comment, not the fact of a scratch comp or otherwise).

To change your format because of one exceptional player is very narrow minded. Most clubs have players like that and celebrate them, they don't change the rules to make it impossible for them to win it again. Any future Club Championships are essentally worthless and the winners lack credibility due to that decision.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
To change your format because of one exceptional player is very narrow minded. Most clubs have players like that and celebrate them, they don't change the rules to make it impossible for them to win it again. Any future Club Championships are essentally worthless and the winners lack credibility due to that decision.
Didn't make it impossible at all. And no one at our club has complained or several of the clubs in the area.

We celebrate the better players with the club team and the scratch league and matchplay comps. Each to their own, but as above I would not disrespect someone who pulled together two good rounds regardless of their handicap or question their achievement. But again, seems like that's just me.

Happy to be in the minority. Anyway, football on to watch.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe that I am my club's oldest ever club champion in its history. I won it a few years ago when I was 58 yrs 9 months.
Shot 3-over 143.
Same score won it for me 28 years earlier.
This gives me hope. Its 10yrs since I won....always felt that I need to win it again as my score was simply the best of a bad lot in atrocious conditions.

Springveldt

Visit site
Our club champion is scratch.
36 holes of stroke play, best 8 matchplay seeded by their score over 36 holes.
Exact same format at my soon to be former club. The winner of the 36 hole event gets his name on the boards but the club champion is the one who wins the match play from the 8 that went through.

Don't actually know what the format is at the new club but a quick scan down the results section from last year would suggest that it's 36 holes over 2 days. Not sure if there are knockouts afterwards or not.

Visit site
Winning nett is still a great achievement. But the club champ is always going to be the best player that year that shot the best score off scratch. I would say if your +3 player is winning surely it should inspire those others to try and match his/her achievement to try and take the title in future years. Sometimes miracles do happen. About 10 years ago I was playing off 5, into the last 4 rounds of the scratch knockout I beat players who were either 0 or + handicaps and beat the best player in the club (+4) 7 and 5 over 36 holes. I just dug deep and somehow playing against these players I rose to the challenge. To say you changed the criteria because he was just too good sounds like sour grapes to me.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is 36 holes off scratch over two days. Best I done is 2nd twenty years ago. Won other scratch stuff at the club and often have the best gross in monthly medals, but for some reason it doesn’t happen in the club championships. Maybe this year🤞
Replying to myself. Our other major scratch event is an 18 hole qualifier where the top 16 go through to a matchplay KO. Won that a couple of times and lost in the final even more times. Probably harder to win than the strokeplay event.

RichA

Visit site
Yes ours run concurrently so technically someone could win both, but the chances of the gross winner winning the nett would be pretty low.

I mean, it's very elitist because the good players don't have any chance of winning anything 51 weeks a year 😉
Ours is played over 18 holes. We have a club champion and a club handicap champion. For the last 4 years the winner has won both.

D

Deleted member 35504

Ours is played over 18 holes. We have a club champion and a club handicap champion. For the last 4 years the winner has won both.
I guess it's more likely if it's only 18 holes.

What were the winners' handicaps out of interest? Guessing around the 2 - 3 mark if they won both.

C7usk

Visit site
Ours is 36 holes scratch qualifier over 2 days. With 3 different hcp classes. Top 8 from each class go through to the matchplay knockouts during the week with the finals for each class at the weekend. 1st class ( club champion) , and a 2nd and 3rd class winner.