Old Tom RA91 Driver - new company / start-up

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems like a budding entrepreneur has designed and is having manufactured, his own driver - the Old Tom RA91.

Old Tom

Looks like 3 reviews on Youtube with golf pros and looks decent. In the case of the James Robinson review, he has it up against his own club that is specd for him.
There's another one where the Old Tom looks comfortably better (in this guys hands) than a Callaway Rogue.
Reviews are right at the bottom of his web page.

Current price is coming in at £130 with a pre-sale (delivery not expected until March).

Personally love the look of this - the styling in particular suits my eye - and really hope it gets off the ground. I think a lot of us become completely pre-occupied with the equipment and not only having the right equipment, but having the perfect equipment. In reality, the gains are often marginal and there is a big law of diminishing returns that comes into play when you spend £400 compared with £200 on new stuff.

So would you rather spend £200 on a driver and £200 on lessons OR £400 on a Driver?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty simple, classic design in terms of looks. Is the X on the face not a bit of a rip-off of the Callaway X Hot 2? Might have a copyright issue there, I'm not sure.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty simple, classic design in terms of looks. Is the X on the face not a bit of a rip-off of the Callaway X Hot 2? Might have a copyright issue there, I'm not sure.

I think it looks sufficiently different tbh - can't imagine there would be an issue.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like it apart from the writing of old tom on the crown. Should have put an x there for simplicity.

Other than that it looks tidy.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have been watching since he first launched. The price has gone up and down, from £100 to £200, changing every few weeks.
Not much info about the shaft being used, except its specific for this club, has no manufacturer markings and little in the way of details.

For the price I'm not sure it would be too different to an older club from one of the major manufacturers (except your unlikely to be able to sell this one second hand for anything close to purchase price)

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have been watching since he first launched. The price has gone up and down, from £100 to £200, changing every few weeks.
Not much info about the shaft being used, except its specific for this club, has no manufacturer markings and little in the way of details.

For the price I'm not sure it would be too different to an older club from one of the major manufacturers (except your unlikely to be able to sell this one second hand for anything close to purchase price)

This sums it up for me, no way I would spend money on this club.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Nice looking driver. Would need a hit first, feel the same with the BombTech driver too. I do use an old driver, Ping G20, got it about 2 years ago. Looking at the Rich Shiels reviews of Ping drivers, I'm not sure they've improved much really over 5 to 6 years.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I think a lot of the new clubs have plateaued massively in terms of what they can do for the average hitters.

If you are fast and accurate, you can get a bit more out of a low spinning driver (however these are certainly not new any more).

But if you're a handicap golfer with average numbers, a new driver might be a bit more forgiving or help slightly with a draw bias or fade bias (maybe), but lets be honest - no one with a 100mph swing speed is suddenly bombing it with a new driver, compared with one a few generations ago.

As Bxm Foxy says - Rick Shiels looks to be getting very similar numbers for the Ping G and G400, if anything slightly shorter with the G400. These were released in Feb 2016 and 2017 respectively and Ping haven't updated their range since 2017 (albeit may be planning something this year).

This seems to suggest that club development has plateaued and I would question the logic / sanity in spending £450 on a brand new driver if you are looking purely for the tech and expecting to really make substantial gains.

I'm approaching this from the point of having the wrong kind of driver (SLDR) for my game (albeit I can hit it ok) and a Ping G or G400 is going to cost me £230 to £340.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I think a lot of the new clubs have plateaued massively in terms of what they can do for the average hitters.

If you are fast and accurate, you can get a bit more out of a low spinning driver (however these are certainly not new any more).

But if you're a handicap golfer with average numbers, a new driver might be a bit more forgiving or help slightly with a draw bias or fade bias (maybe), but lets be honest - no one with a 100mph swing speed is suddenly bombing it with a new driver, compared with one a few generations ago.

As Bxm Foxy says - Rick Shiels looks to be getting very similar numbers for the Ping G and G400, if anything slightly shorter with the G400. These were released in Feb 2016 and 2017 respectively and Ping haven't updated their range since 2017 (albeit may be planning something this year).

This seems to suggest that club development has plateaued and I would question the logic / sanity in spending £450 on a brand new driver if you are looking purely for the tech and expecting to really make substantial gains.

I'm approaching this from the point of having the wrong kind of driver (SLDR) for my game (albeit I can hit it ok) and a Ping G or G400 is going to cost me £230 to £340.
Is the G30 driver much different to the G? I got my G30 SF Tec for only £100 second hand.

As others have said above, if you buy this Old Tom thing, the resale value is through the floor, as opposed to getting a Ping or something where you'll never struggle to sell it when you come to upgrade. And is this one likely to be any better than a Ping from 3, 4 years ago?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You can pick up Ping G drivers for around £120 now. I got one on Ebay recently for £110 delivered.

As it has already been mentioned, you may as well pick up a second hand club from a major manufacturer. The only reason I would buy new is to get fully custom fit, which is not an option with the Old Tom anyway.

Not saying that the 2nd hand club is better or anything like that, I just don't think there would be any point in getting the Old Tom when you can purchase a tried and trusted club from a major manufacturer which will hold its resell value.

Wolf

Visit site
Quite like the look of it, but when you compare it to major OEM brands where you can get a bargain even brand new if you go a model or 2 older. I got my Cobra F6 brand new for £72 does a fine job.

Also brands like Benross are amazingly placed at price point and quality with more behind them for marketing and recognition in the industry.

Something like this would have to look at spending on marketing and getting someone to review it on board to get it out to a wider golf audience and then slowly build up reputation. That alone is not easy just look at Scratch Golf they had some amazing Wedges and lovely looking irons with tour players on board but where are they now. It takes a lot to break in to this industry and I can't see this one taking off even at budget price point there are simply better options available.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the G30 driver much different to the G? I got my G30 SF Tec for only £100 second hand.

As others have said above, if you buy this Old Tom thing, the resale value is through the floor, as opposed to getting a Ping or something where you'll never struggle to sell it when you come to upgrade. And is this one likely to be any better than a Ping from 3, 4 years ago?

I'm not sure, likely to be very similar clubs. Probably for us mortals the differences are minimal / marginal.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You can pick up Ping G drivers for around £120 now. I got one on Ebay recently for £110 delivered.

As it has already been mentioned, you may as well pick up a second hand club from a major manufacturer. The only reason I would buy new is to get fully custom fit, which is not an option with the Old Tom anyway.

Not saying that the 2nd hand club is better or anything like that, I just don't think there would be any point in getting the Old Tom when you can purchase a tried and trusted club from a major manufacturer which will hold its resell value.

Accept there are likely to be benefits in custom fitting, if only to confirm what you have is suitable for your game.

Problem I have with getting custom fit is that you have to take the brand new current line-up if you want to adjust head / shaft / length etc, which means you are basically talking £350 to £500 (maybe more if they find a different shaft is best).

I had a very poor experience with AG getting my current Driver in 2015 when it was clear that my budget wasn't £300+. He basically took out 3 or 4 of last years models that were around the £150 to £199 range and left me to it, without really giving any input or looking at any numbers other than distance. There was never any discussion of changing shaft or trying to fine tune anything, or even looking to line up the fade / draw weight.

And that was me parting with nearly £200 for a brand new club 4 years ago, and in the end he gave me a 10.5 degree SLDR that, yes was getting good reviews and I could hit well enough, but that I was never going to actually launch high enough to get my best distance, even if swinging my Sunday best.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Accept there are likely to be benefits in custom fitting, if only to confirm what you have is suitable for your game.

Problem I have with getting custom fit is that you have to take the brand new current line-up if you want to adjust head / shaft / length etc, which means you are basically talking £350 to £500 (maybe more if they find a different shaft is best).

I had a very poor experience with AG getting my current Driver in 2015 when it was clear that my budget wasn't £300+. He basically took out 3 or 4 of last years models that were around the £150 to £199 range and left me to it, without really giving any input or looking at any numbers other than distance. There was never any discussion of changing shaft or trying to fine tune anything, or even looking to line up the fade / draw weight.

And that was me parting with nearly £200 for a brand new club 4 years ago, and in the end he gave me a 10.5 degree SLDR that, yes was getting good reviews and I could hit well enough, but that I was never going to actually launch high enough to get my best distance, even if swinging my Sunday best.
Agree. Custom fitting, and trying to get second hand or discounted gear just don't really seem to mix. I was lucky enough to have an AG 'Outlet' near me that was chock full of a second hand gear and had a driving range there which you can try anything before buying. Sadly that's now been shut down so I won't have this option in future.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use the G driver (off the shelf). Plenty of options on Golfbidder from £138 to over £200 dependent on quality and given that Golfbidder aren't the cheapest second hand retailer out there. https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/6147/Ping__Driver_G-Series.html Ping drivers have a reputation for forgiveness and I've always found them decent and any mistakes are mine

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
anyway folks, had this for a couple of weeks now.

Absolutely love it. Has massively improved my driving and scoring. It looks and feels like a premium product.

Granted I was using an SLDR, which is not the right club for my skill level - but very impressed with how easy the new club is to lunch in comparison. Good hits are probably 25 yards past the SLDR.

Ok, might be a reasonable amount of luck in terms of this just suiting my swing - but I reckon if you were to do a blind test with the latest Premium brand driver you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a £130 and £450 club.

After taking a punt for £130, it has far exceeded my expectation levels.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
anyway folks, had this for a couple of weeks now.

Absolutely love it. Has massively improved my driving and scoring. It looks and feels like a premium product.

Granted I was using an SLDR, which is not the right club for my skill level - but very impressed with how easy the new club is to lunch in comparison. Good hits are probably 25 yards past the SLDR.

Ok, might be a reasonable amount of luck in terms of this just suiting my swing - but I reckon if you were to do a blind test with the latest Premium brand driver you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a £130 and £450 club.

After taking a punt for £130, it has far exceeded my expectation levels.

I like the look of it and the price even now at £155 seems a decent amount

However the putter at £135 was it? Seems excessive when for a couple quid more can get an odyssey which imo make the best selection of putters for average golfers