Old Men rant rant

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Leftie. My comment was intended mainly in jest. I would never deliberatly drill a golf ball at anyone however, the behavior of the chaps in question was down right uncalled for and caused a confrontation for no reason. I have played golf with older guys and always found the round enjoyable so I am not an ageist if it were 2 younger people my comment about the 3 wood would have been the same. Regards

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just recently I shot a 96, a 93 a 91 and a 90.

I wasn't best pleased.

They were the slowest most ignorant 4 ball I've ever come across who refused to let me through!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess you refer to me.
I have full membership of my course but I do not play at weekends.
Fill your boots.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have took my 3 wood and drilled the ball directly at them!!

If that comment was serious then you are playing the wrong game mate. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I agree that comment is totally out of order - you should of used your driver for a more penetrating flight :D

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Nobody made it an ageism debate until another oap stuck their neck out asking for it to be chopped off!

The main reason most of the very valid comments are seen as ageist is due to the elderly members/players having coming from the elitist era of golf - pretty much how the 2 "gentlemen" from the original post probably see us working class scum on the course as being invaders of the realm!

I CANNOT DISAGREE WITH YOUR SELF DISCRIPTION.

It never ceases to amaze me how many retired folk monopolise the early tee times on a Saturday/Sunday morning and then proceed to let NOBODY through for an entire 18 holes despite losing ground on the group in front.
GET UP EARLIER THAN THEM!
Call me ageist if you want but the majority of younger members of our course aren't stupid or ignorant enough to not call people through. OH YES THEY ARE!! It's always the 50+s who get the hump wehn you blunty point out how etiquette is spelt. BUT DON'T HELP THEM WITH SPELLING WHEN!

Feel free to give me as much grief as you like for these comments as if you're in the coffin dodging fraternity and not guilty of the above you have no need to take offence.
NOT TAKING OFFENCE JUST SPREADING SOME WISDOM TO A YOUNG BUCK.
If however you come back giving me abuse it'll be more than fair to assume you are somebody who should be banned from the course on weekends for the sake of and sanity of anybody who can't waste 6 hours of their non working days stuck behind an ignorant bunch of muppets!
ASSUMPTION - AGEISM EQUALS RETIRED - IF I RETIRE SO MAYBE DO MY WORKFORCE OF YOUNG BUCKS AT THIS TIME.

A PASSING THOUGHT, DO I COMPLAIN WHEN YOUNGER GUYS OFF HIGHER HANDICAPS THAN ME TAKE TIME TO PLAY 15 SHOTS MORE PER ROUND PLUS THE TIME SEARCHING IN THE ROUGH FOR THEIR BLOOMING BALLS - WELL YES I DO AT TIMES!!

Amplified your offering a wee bit - hope you don't take offence - if you do you are obviously in the young buck problem brigade!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, I suppose I am a coffin dodger as I am in the late 50's. I am as quick round the course as any younger player, pretty well always go out early on Sundays and always call the group behind through if we hunt for a ball!

So, yesterday in a major club competition a much younger (about 40 yo) golfer runs back to the tee (par 5) after we have arrived on it. He lost a ball down left side, still puffing, he wacks ball down right side to somewhere that he won't easily find it, Runs down left side to retrieve clubs and then runs 150 - 200 yards to where his 3 off the tee went and luckily finds it, and plays it - time taken - eternity - He told his playing partners to carry on whilst he did all this so they were blissfully unaware of the goings on - question ! Should he called us through or not because we were all much older than him?? oh, and, by the way, lower handicappers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tis ever the same. We have the same faces going out at 7.30 every Saturday and chopping it round. Varying ages but none below 18 handicap and they will refuse to let anyone through. I've even see a foursomes match have to almost beg to play through. Not good and there have been complaints but nothing is ever done and yet they set the pace for the rest of the morning

Split_Fairway

Assistant Pro
Visit site
have never been in that sort of situation myself. when i first started in my club i was playing with different people every weekend and as a result there are very few people in the club that i dont know so its unlikely i will ever find myself on the receiving end of the more elderly members' irrational temper (not that they have one in the first place)

gash

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
In no way do I have a problem with old folk. I think they should just get a bit of a wriggle on. I will concede that I do have a big problem with the many extra slow 4 balls which plague golf courses most mornings. I think more Golf Clubs could speed things along if they restricted pensioners with high handicaps to 2 balls. Obviously low handicap players will get round in a reasonable time so no worries. There would be no debate at all if more slower oldies let quicker players through. End of.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In no way do I have a problem with old folk. I think they should just get a bit of a wriggle on. I will concede that I do have a big problem with the many extra slow 4 balls which plague golf courses most mornings. I think more Golf Clubs could speed things along if they restricted pensioners with high handicaps to 2 balls. Obviously low handicap players will get round in a reasonable time so no worries. There would be no debate at all if more slower oldies let quicker players through. End of.

Gash,
You make it sound as though only the older players were the slow ones.
Was that your intention?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
In no way do I have a problem with old folk . I think they should just get a bit of a wriggle on . I will concede that I do have a big problem with the many extra slow 4 balls which plague golf courses most mornings. I think more Golf Clubs could speed things along if they restricted pensioners with high handicaps to 2 balls. Obviously low handicap players will get round in a reasonable time so no worries. There would be no debate at all if more slower oldies let quicker players through. End of.

Gash,
Was that your intention?

^
^

Wot he said

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In no way do I have a problem with old folk . I think they should just get a bit of a wriggle on . I will concede that I do have a big problem with the many extra slow 4 balls which plague golf courses most mornings. I think more Golf Clubs could speed things along if they restricted pensioners with high handicaps to 2 balls. Obviously low handicap players will get round in a reasonable time so no worries. There would be no debate at all if more slower oldies let quicker players through. End of.

Gash,
Was that your intention?

^
^

Wot he said

I guess there is no defence against the ageist element here.
I will retire gracefully from this forum.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that we are fighting a losing battle here mate.

Even though I am struggling to walk the course at the moment due to a knee injury from squash, I played in a medal on Saturday and was teamed up with 2 young lads, late teens. 1 was off a 1 h/c and the other off 8.

Now the perceived wisdom on this Forum is that in the male game, old geezers and young bucks are the slowest around the course and hold up those working members who's only chance to play golf is at the weekends, and they as we are told, want to rush around the course and hate being held up as their time is too precious. We are told that the old guys hit the ball into the woods and take an age getting there before they even start their god given right to spend at least 5 minutes looking for it whilst the youngsters spend an absolute age in practice swings, pre-shot routines, stalking putts from all round the green, etc, etc, etc.

We were about the 5th group out and, believing everything I'm told on this forum, I was worried that we would get loads of abuse from the following pack, reported to the Pro/secretary/bar manager/or whoever for holding the whole field up, ruining everyone's day, etc.

I was astonished to find that not only did we keep in touch with the group in front, but we finished at least 2 clear holes clear and about 25 minutes of the following group. Surprisingly most of the groups behind were made up of the "working" variety of golfer who's fast progress around the course must not, on any account, be impeded.

Even more astounding was the fact that in the bar afterwards, none of the following groups complained of the slow play in front of them even though there was a gap of 2 holes (that obviously most didn't realise was there).

Yeh. Blame the old gits and youngsters for slow play - especially at weekends. Too easy to target.

It's never the age group in between, is it.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

D

Deleted member 1147

............ I played in a medal on Saturday and was teamed up with 2 young lads, late teens. 1 was off a 1 h/c and the other off 8.

I was astonished to find that not only did we keep in touch with the group in front, but we finished at least 2 clear holes clear and about 25 minutes of the following group. Surprisingly most of the groups behind were made up of the "working" variety of golfer who's fast progress around the course must not, on any account, be impeded.
Yeh. Blame the old gits and youngsters ............. especially at weekends. Too easy to target.

It's never the age group in between, is it.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Those oldies & youngsters rushing around, getting impatient no doubt with those poor working men infront of them.
They only go out early so's to relax and unwind, then they get a three ball harrasing them on the weekend.

It's just not fair

gash

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
I am sorry if I have offended anyone, however there are always the politically correct looking for an "ism". Today it is ageism. Today at a Gloucestershire Golf club my mate and I caught up behind a mixed gender wrinkled 4 ball on the 14th. When we caught up one of the women said "sorry about the delay....lost balls". Perfect opportunity to invite us through but no. Instead we patiently played for 2 HOURS to finish our round. Our manners were fine. Theirs were atrocious. This is not uncommon.My point has always been that the elderly golfer is more likely to be bereft of manners than the younger one. They are commonly slower. Obviously there are many exceptions but many old duffers take the game up for retirement and clog up golf courses with gay abandon. I think slow play spoils golf, that's all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am sorry if I have offended anyone, however there are always the politically correct looking for an "ism". Today it is ageism. Today at a Gloucestershire Golf club my mate and I caught up behind a mixed gender wrinkled 4 ball on the 14th. When we caught up one of the women said "sorry about the delay....lost balls". Perfect opportunity to invite us through but no. Instead we patiently played for 2 HOURS to finish our round. Our manners were fine. Theirs were atrocious. This is not uncommon.My point has always been that the elderly golfer is more likely to be bereft of manners than the younger one. They are commonly slower. Obviously there are many exceptions but many old duffers take the game up for retirement and clog up golf courses with gay abandon. I think slow play spoils golf, that's all.

Sorry mate but have you considered it might be you and the course you play. We have a number of old boys that play in a regular greedy on a Tuesday and Thursday morning, and Tuesday is ladies day. You have a choice. Play when you know it will be quietest (about an hour after the last group goes out) wait behind and accept it or join in. Some of the old boys are pretty stubborn and won't let you through whatever but in the main, if there is a fourball of older guys or women members then they'll let you play through. In fact, most of our women almost insist as they feel under less pressure.

I played in Captains Day and it was made up of mixed handicaps. We were round in a shade under four hours and we finished over a hole behind the group in front (mostly my wayward shots) but were the same distance in front of those behind. I don't think you are right to generalise as much as you have