Old Men rant rant

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was playing vivary golf course[Taunton] on friday with 2 members of the club and we were playing of the back tees![members are allowed to do this] Was on the 7th tee which you have to drive over the 10th green and my 2 friends have already drove off and i was just on my down swing when 2 old men came up the 10th fairway shouting "wot are u doing playing off comp tees u scum" that was there exact words!! I politely told them off the rules of the club and pointed out that when you are on the 7th tee you have right away and also cing that 2 drives have already gone down!! Well they refused to get off the green and stood there holding the flag! I walked towards them and explained the situation trying to be calm and asking why they called us scum!!This was meet with more obscenity's and all i could do was laugh at them and walk away before i was up on 2 assault charges!! They weren't members just play and pay people who contribute £60 a year and £4 a round and they were both in there 80,s! i was gob smacked and went on to play the worst 12holes of my short golfing journey!! I still cant believe they spoke to us like that and there's people always saying respect your elders!! LOL at that from now on, im going to treat every person in the same manner as they treat me, 80 years of age carrying on like that!! What can you do? Please tell me the way i should have approached that please!! rant over

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly it happens. We were doing the Macmillan Challenge a few weeks back and knew we had to get off the 9th tee by 5.45 as the front nine was shutting for a shotgun social scramble. As we putted out on th 8th the hordes descended from the clubhouse and by the time we were ready to play nine there was a group on the tee.

One of the guys (who I actually knew) and several lady members said the course was shut and we couldn't play the hole. We explained what we were doing and that we had been there since 4.30am. The lady said we should have got round quicker.

I pointed out that we had been there for a couple of minutes and could have teed off and been down by the green and that if they thought after four rounds we weren't going to play the hole they were sadly mistaken. In the end we dived off the yellows (we'd been off white all day) just so they didn't have tomove out of the way and carried on. It did leave a nasty taste though.

Sadly there are idiots at most clubs but I'd definitely be pointing them out to the secretary and putting a complaint in writing

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No win on that one, Old gits would probably drop dead and really drop you in it if you gave them the good slap they were asking for.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You did the right thing walking away, even if you'd have shouted at them and one had had a heart attack you could have been in serious, serious lumber. I'd put a complaint in, shouldn't be allowed to get away with behaviour like that at any age

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Age doesn't come in to it, you will unfortunately come across agressively rude people now & then. You can't win with them, they are not open to reason so I think your reaction was right and yes, you should have reported them. Well done for not descending to their level but it's a pity you let them spoil your game.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have took my 3 wood and drilled the ball directly at them!! Ignorant ol' gits!!

sorry, I just find it very dissapointing that people would act like that...

gash

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Blimey leftie he was only kidding. I actually did drive over the heads of a geriatric 4 ball. They had been holding me up for ages and I just couldn't resist taking my opportunity as the wrinklies shuffled their way towards the trees to hunt for two of their balls. They looked a little startled but bollox to them. Coffin dodgers are frequently ignorant and usually slow and should only be allowed to play in pairs.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
. I actually did drive over the heads of a geriatric 4 ball. They had been holding me up for ages and I just couldn't resist taking my opportunity as the wrinklies shuffled their way towards the trees to hunt for two of their balls. They looked a little startled but bollox to them. Coffin dodgers are frequently ignorant and usually slow and should only be allowed to play in pairs.

My reply to Jamestaylor equally applies to you.

"If that comment was serious then you are playing the wrong game mate. You should be ashamed of yourself. "

I am probably what you would call a "geriatric, wrinkled, coffin dodger, ignorant and slow". Those of us who have to shuffle their way to their next shot usually haven't hit it far enough to reach the trees, and those who are fit enough to hit the ball far enough to reach the trees generally are fit enough to also walk quite quickly.

I fear that you are letting the views of the other ageist forumers affect your judgement.

Get a life, or play your golf when the OAP's don't. Don't forget, if you last the course, you may be one eventually.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A few years ago we were stuck behind four "coffin dodgers" at Copthorne. Nobody in front of them and we were waiting over every shot. They knew we were there. They just carried on their merry little way.
After 6 holes one of my playing partners approached them on the green and asked if they would mind letting us through.
They came back with the reply that as we were only visitors to the club we had no standing and and they were members they were entitled to take as long as they wanted.
On hearing this, I said something to them with my usual tact and diplomacy.
They let us through, and we had no more problems with them. But we did report them to the pro on our return to the clubhouse.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I’ve got a lot of time for the old guys and we’ll all be there one day. Yes, they’re a pain, but when I first started the more senior players helped me a lot. Now, not many are around and I hope I’m a grumpy old bar steward at 85 finding my way round the course. I’ve got the grumpy bit right so far.

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a lot of time for the old guys and we’ll all be there one day. Yes, they’re a pain, but when I first started the more senior players helped me a lot. Now, not many are around and I hope I’m a grumpy old bar steward at 85 finding my way round the course. I’ve got the grumpy bit right so far.

so what you are saying is that you are a grumpy young git waiting to get old :)

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

My father played until he was 85 and him and his partner who was 86 would belt round a course of over 6300 yards in about 3 1/4 hours, and that would include stopping off in the trees picking up all the balls the society guys had lost.
He wasn't long, but he was straight as a dye, and a demon putter. When he packed up at 85 (due to my mothers illness) he was playing off 22 and still playing 3 times a week.
No coffin dodger there, and even now at 96 he is still giving me tips.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am sorry this ageist thing has arisen again. I am one of the the ancients still trying to play our game. I have come across awkward sods of all ages and sexes but generally we are all pretty well behaved.
I came across a lot of ageism in my final years of work, usually from young "managers" who were not up to the job and feared being shown up by their more experienced colleagues.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

so what you are saying is that you are a grumpy young git waiting to get old :)

You can read between the lines eh. :rolleyes:

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
The old boy who works for us is 83 and in terms of fitness he puts a lot of 40 year olds to shame.

He plays off 11 and does 18 holes, carrying, in 3.5 hrs if he doesnt get held up.

I know some of the older ones can be miserable old buggers but on the flip-side, a lot of younger ones can be absolute tools. I know who the worst offenders of all are but Im not starting a gender debate.

As for the 2 in question, I would have reported them as soon as I got back in, no need for such behaviour.

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This was not started as a ageism thing!! It just happened to be 2 elder gentlemen [soz gits not gentlemen] and being of that age they should know better!? don't u think

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
This was not started as a ageism thing!! don't u think

Well I will make it an ageism thing!!

Being well on the way to coffin dodging - I now shoot my age, net, each week, in fact I shot my age minus 3 in last Saturday's medal with 3 penalty shots!

I play with guys off lowish handicaps and have no problem keeping behind the game in front as opposed to keeping in front of the game behind which appears to be the right of the problem puppies.

You all know the ones - wander 100 yards forward before then deciding to hit one of their many wedges, this then finds the sand, another big decision with much circling of the landing area, ponder over the bag of clubs, select and ...oops, over the green it goes, chip back and two putts later, off the green they go shaking their head at the resultant Tom Mix on their card!

We, meantime, are shaking our heads at the loss of ten minutes of potential play, then hit a 3/4 seven onto the green and two putt for par wondering what all that crap was about.

Age of the three in front totals 56, the three behind 210!!

Now I will concede that we do require three pee breaks to their one, but this we feel offers three times the enjoyment, especially in this warm weather.

Now go and complain about something other than a persons age, be it manners, golfing ability or lack of, slow play or use of language on the course but ageism....give us old folk a break!!

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nobody made it an ageism debate until another oap stuck their neck out asking for it to be chopped off!

The main reason most of the very valid comments are seen as ageist is due to the elderly members/players having coming from the elitist era of golf - pretty much how the 2 "gentlemen" from the original post probably see us working class scum on the course as being invaders of the realm!

It never ceases to amaze me how many retired folk monopolise the early tee times on a Saturday/Sunday morning and then proceed to let NOBODY through for an entire 18 holes despite losing ground on the group in front.

Call me ageist if you want but the majority of younger members of our course aren't stupid or ignorant enough to not call people through. It's always the 50+s who get the hump wehn you blunty point out how etiquette is spelt.

Feel free to give me as much grief as you like for these comments as if you're in the coffin dodging fraternity and not guilty of the above you have no need to take offence.

If however you come back giving me abuse it'll be more than fair to assume you are somebody who should be banned from the course on weekends for the sake of and sanity of anybody who can't waste 6 hours of their non working days stuck behind an ignorant bunch of muppets!