• Powacaddy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bigotry will never be erradicated from Scotland because the infantile primitive mind set of an old firm fan will not allow them to accept another human from a different background. They find it easier to hate than to even TRY and like someone. I have some friends who are bitter Celtic fans and they can't leave the house unless they are wearing a green item of clothing and one guy never wears jeans cos they are blue. We call him Chino Beano cos he always wears cream jeans and chinos.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Still get the old "so, you'll be a Tim, then?" response in Edinburgh when I say I'm a Celtic supporter.
Why would they repeat the question you've just answered? That's the most bizarre thing I've read in ages, they must build them funny in Edinburgh. :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to say, that's a new one to me, Stuart. You learn something new every day. Thing is, over the years that usage has certainly taken on a different meaning, certainly where I grew up.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
No, Echtloon. You haven't read my post properly. Point is, I'm not. It's just assumed because I support Celtic. Why's that, then?
You're not what? A Tim is a Celtic fan, what do you think it is? As Stuart says, it originates from the TimMalloys of the twenties(I think it was).

I'm confused :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suppose it all depends where you were brought up, Echtloon. In my area (Springburn) it didn't mean a Celtic fan. It meant a Roman Catholic. If not then why do the Hibs fans call themselves TimMalloys in some songs as well? So no, in my book I'm not.

When I was growing up it was used predominantly in a derogatory manner so I never used the term. Yes, many Celtic fans are proud to call themselves such. I'm not getting involved in that one.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Suppose it all depends where you were brought up, Echtloon. In my area (Springburn) it didn't mean a Celtic fan. It meant a Roman Catholic. If not then why do the Hibs fans call themselves TimMalloys in some songs as well? So no, in my book I'm not.

When I was growing up it was used predominantly in a derogatory manner so I never used the term. Yes, many Celtic fans are proud to call themselves such. I'm not getting involved in that one.
Ah fair doos.

Never known Hibees call themselves that or indeed use the term for a Hibee either, certainly I would always assume you were talking about a Celtic fan.

On the other hand, Hearts fans <u>are</u> sometimes referred to as diet-Huns ;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

Kinell John, I was born in Springburn, lived at Muir Street, its not there now.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Tim Malloy was used as a generic term for a catholic Irish immigrant; in the same kind of way as Tommy Brown was used for english soldiers in WW1. Its general usage has declined, with the change in immigration demography and acceptability of stereotyping of the Irish. The remnant is the use of the word Tim, generally without any partiuclar loading, referring to catholics in general, often happily by catholics; as in "aye, he's a good Tim"

Stolen from another site somewhere.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most places aren't Tomo21. Lived in Bedlay Street, went to Hyde Park Primary.

Look at Google Earth of Springburn now. You won't recognise it. It has amazing detail.

It's the reason I chose Edinburgh for Uni instead of Glasgow. They had knocked down my old tenement and school and made the area into a flyover !! One of my pals was passing through there on the way up north some years ago and had a gang throw a brick through his windscreen while he was waiting at traffic lights. Bad times!

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
if you go way back to when celtic were formed, ie formed by a priest to feed the starving irish catholic immigrants on the east side of glasgow and you mix the opposite in the west who were prodomanatly scottish prespeterions etc its made for a severe car crash.

That priest was Brother Walfrid and there's a statue of him outside Parkhead (paid for by Celtic fans). I was at Parkhead in September last year and was depressed by how dreary the neighbourhoods that surround Celtic Park are. How sad or ironic it is that the club is now one of the richest on the planet paying vast wages to players from here, there and everywhere while the local residents are the poorest in the UK. I read the other day that in Shettleston (1 mile east of Celtic Park) life expectancy has actually fallen in recent years.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't vote as I'm from Scotland, I really can't stand either side of the OF as they are as bad as each other, supported my local team Raith Rovers through thick and thin (although recent years have been very thin).

I really don't think the premiership would want them in their ranks, however as far as I'm concerned they can dissapear as soon as possible and take their vile bigotry with them.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i agree john , you are born into the culture,then it gets worse when you attend school,if all communities supported there local teams motherwell, airdrie,morton etc would not have went through the tough times the are experiencing, my evidence on this is the support Motherwell had when they beat Dundee utd to win the scottish cup and the aftermath of celebrations after it in our area,i am a celtic fan and i was at the game and was chuffed as anything for them and the familiar faces at hampden that day from celtic and rangers fans was big,if they had that support week in week out administration would not have happened