Odd shaft in irons.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last year I purchased a set of burner irons and although their a good set the 5i has always felt different. During my lessons I mentioned this to the pro and he thought i was just messing around. So low and behold it agreed, working down through the set from wedge to 6i the clubs all feel the same, yet the 5i feels strange.

After someone suggesting the shaft could be fitted incorrectly giving weird result i thought id look into it more. I've just spoken to a local golf workshop who does custom fitting and its been suggested that the shaft although stickered with R flex could be senior flex by mistake as the main brands dont offer tight enough quality control.

Does this sound viable?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
could be simpler than that, every shaft has a spine which should, ideally, be set in the same position throughout the set. off-the-shelf clubs are not spine aligned, so getting a bag full of different feels wouldn't be entirely surprising

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
dont suppose you know approx costs for having irons spine aligned. i did read up on this and watch some videos on utube, and it could be viable. funny enough this was exactly what murph suggested.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A decent fitter should be able to measure the frequency (=flex) of the clubs and tell if the 5 is out os line with the others. TM can't really tell you much over the phone so unless you are willing to send the club in to them, or visit their fitting centres at Basingstoke or Wentworth, not much they can do.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ethan I have found a guy who does a free frequency test but I sort if get the impression he has already made hes mind up that the shaft is either the wrong flex or cut to the wrong length which is putting me off somewhat.

I'm assuming spine aligning would make a huge difference, Is there big costs involved in this?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spine aligning would not make a huge difference, in my opinion, and possibly not even a minor difference.

As for the fitter, he should be able to freq test all your irons and chart them on a piece of graph paper with freq vs length. You will see yourself if there is a straight line covering all except the 5 iron.

If he says it is the wrong length, ask him to show you. Likewise explain what the correct freq should be. There should be a roughly standard stepwise change in freq from one club to the next. The longest club has the lowest frequency, and each successive club will increase by about 4 or 5 CPM.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thanks ethan. Its easy to be baffled by bullsh*t, just nice to have an understanding of what should be from a neutral party as it were. All this shaft puring, shaft aligning and frequency stuff is all new. Id expect clubs to come of the shelf correctly but it seems this isn't the case.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
off the shelf clubs are just that. it's like going to buy a suit off the peg and expecting a perfect fit, OK sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you need it altered but you know that the best way is to get made to measure.

ethan, I thought they frequency matched with the bare shaft; pulled and no grip. that's how mine were done, and spot on 4 cpm right through the set.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a weird 7 iron in a set years ago. Just couldn't get on with it. Mr pro checked it out and a) the length wasn't quite right and b) the lie was knackered.
So much for accurate club building... :(

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
TM nor any other OEM do not spine align ANY off the shelf stock clubs. Even in China, time is money.

Irons are generally lined up off any shaft silk-screening i.e. the black Dynamic Gold print on the first shaft step and woods to the preference of the company i.e. label down for Titleist.

Check your iffy iron on a static swing weight scale