Hybrid Shaft Length

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have four Callaway senior flex hybrids (3,4,5 and 6), which I bought separately second hand. According to Callaway's published data, the shaft length of each goes down in 0.75 inch steps from 3 to 6. However, I have just noticed that the 3 hybrid has the same length shaft as the 4 and so it has clearly been shortened by the previous owner. This probably explains why I don't seem to hit it any further than the 4 despite the lower loft. My first thought is to add an extender to the butt end of the shaft in order to add back the 0.75 inches, but I wondered whether this might adversely affect the club in some way ... although I can't imagine that such a change at the butt end would alter the swing weight and flex point to any appreciable degree. Does anyone have any thoughts please? Thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Each manufacturer has their own idea. My first set all had the same length shaft.

Adding length by extending the butt is not the same thing unless it was cut from the butt in the first place.

As in irons (which change by 0.5") they would have been tip trimmed which provides a different flex point.

What you need to do is to line up the shaft logos and compare the difference to in length from a given logo to the hosel to see if they vary by tip trimming and work out if the 3 has been butt trimmed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another possibility is that the (slightly) 'more difficult to hit perfectly' lower loft of the 3 hybrid (compared to the 4) means overall distance is pretty similar.

I too have miltiple hybrids (20, 23 and 26) along with a 16.5 and 13.5* 'woods'. Finding a specific iron can be difficult in amongst the headcovers! With both woods and hybrids, the lowest loft often only goes very similar distance to the slightly higher loft - at least off the deck. That's simply because of the relative ease/difficulty of striking either/both well. Off the tee is a different story, with distances as 'expected'. So, unless the lie is favourable, I consider what flight I 'prefer' to be more important than what distance I'm after before choosing the lower loft wood or hybrid.

Btw/FWIW. My woods use identical heads/shafts, simply using the 1.5* adjustment up/down from 'standard' 15*. Shaft lengths are identical. Off the tee, there's noticable difference in carry/length, so it's not (just) shaft length that affects distance.

Last edited:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Foxholer ... I take your points. But my overriding thought, right or wrong, is that Callaway designed the club to have a particular length shaft for the average player (I’m 5ft 10in) and so I want to try it at that length. I have extended the shaft and, once it’s regripped, I’ll give it a go. Worst case scenario ... I shorten it again and regrip it once more.