Senior flex in woods, regular flex in irons

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have thoughts on using a different flex in woods as from that in irons. Let me explain.

A while back, I had a Callaway driver, fairway woods and hybrids (I’ll call them “woods”) and Ping G20 irons ... all in regular flex. I was struggling with the woods and, being now 66 years old and with a slower swing speed than previously, I decided to switch to senior shafts. Bingo! Much improved. Given the improvement, I decided to change to senior flex in my irons as well. I decided to take the opportunity of the change of flex to switch to Callaway irons (Big Bertha 2014). The switch was also from steel to graphite. Disaster ... irons all over the place.

The question is: is the problem the Callaway irons or the senior flex ... or both? Could it be that I need senior flex in my woods, but regular flex in my irons? I have pretty much decided to go back to irons from within the Ping G family, but what flex? I could go for a fitting ... but I’m not buying new. Any thoughts please? Thanks.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play a senior flex in my driver and irons, and regular flex in the other woods . I like the extra kick I get from the light flex in the driver, however I got better results with a regular flex in my other woods. With my irons the light flex just felt better, no difference in distance or dispersion . I am playing all Cobra F8 clubs and graphite shaft in my irons.

I played regular graphite flex in in my old g400 irons and to be honest I did not feel much difference between the Cobras and pings.

The biggest doffence I noticed was I found I hit graphite shafts better and further, I hated steel shafts in my irons.

p33j4y

Visit site
I too, play a mix of senior and regular shafts. To me, shaft weight is much more important than flex. I've especially found that hybrids are normally much too light in shaft weight for my liking. Changing hybrid shafts from 70-75 grams to 90-95 grams have changed my hybrids from useless to preferred clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for looking at shaft weight in the irons.

The Ping irons probably had CFS shafts in them which are a reasonably lightweight. shaft 6 iron around 106 gms and PW 100 gms (they use descending weight )

Sorry I cannot find the specs for 2014 Callies but generally in seniors clubs they change a lot - swing weight from D2 to D0 lighter heads and much lighter weight shafts probably around 88 grammes.

Last edited:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, the Pings did have CFS shafts ... and the swing weight of the BB irons is D0. I hadn’t considered shaft weight as opposed to flex ... there is the added point that the regular shafts in the Ping irons were steel and in the BB irons they are graphite. Also, a lot of it is in the mind ... I now have a psychological block with regard to the BB irons.