Odd question

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today I played in the semis of our 4BBB knockout, on the par 3 ninth my partner hit her tee shot to within a few feet of the hole, when we got to the green, she said that good 4 feet from the pin, I laid my putter down on the green and said actually its less than 3 feet.
After the match was over, we won 4&2 one of our opponents said, " we could have claim the 9th when you measured that putt with your putter, we didn't but in the final they might"

It seems strange to me, is this true?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...one of our opponents said, " we could have claim the 9th when you measured that putt with your putter,

It seems strange to me, is this true?

Complete tosh!

You should have tossed them a Rule Book and asked them to point out the Rule that was breached.

And also worth noting that, normally, only 1 of you is 'out of the hole'. There are a couple of logical exceptions though - here: http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=30&subRuleNum=3

Definitely carry a Rule Book in theFinal (well done getting there) and don't hesitate to suggest opponents find and show you the Rule if you have any doubt! Better still, ensure that a sufficiently qualified Referee is on hand.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
something doesn't sit right with me on this? are you allowed to measure a putt?

Explain why you wouldn't be able to! It's not testing the surface. You would even be allowed to use a DMD (Laser probably best!)!

And in some Match situations, you have to 'measure' putts to determine who is to play first!

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, the only reason I measured it was because it was such a good tee shot, I just wanted to see how close she had got it.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Did you touch the line of the putt?
It's possible they were mixing up that rule and the fact that you were partners to suggest you were both 'out' of the hole.

Incidentally, why measure BEFORE playing out?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Did you touch the line of the putt?

Yes, that's the only possibility - didn't really consider it (probably should have) because it's been so instilled not to that I couldn't imagine anyone actually doing so - even to measure!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a distance therefore it's public knowledge - just like measuring from any yardage marker or using s DMD

Another Golfing myth.....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a distance therefore it's public knowledge - just like measuring from any yardage marker or using s DMD

Another Golfing myth.....

Ive never really thought about it. it just seemed odd to measure a putt from say 23 ft.

I can see what louise was doing. I suppose they could have argued you were testing the green when you laid down your putter. im not saying they would be right but they would have an argument!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suppose they could have argued you were testing the green when you laid down your putter. im not saying they would be right but they would have an argument!

They would have been wrong!

Line of Putt can actually be touched when measuring as well http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=16&subRuleNum=1

Testing the surface is defined in that reference as well - roughening or scraping the surface or by rolling a ball. So pretty obvious action!

I'd suggest they saw something they hadn't seen before and immediately thought 'Haven't seen that before. It must be against The Rules!'

Last edited: