Obvious statement but have to say it...

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
... golf is so hard!!!!!

I've been struggling a lot for the past two years after hitting a brick wall at speed.
The last few weeks I feel I've finally (touching wood) started to come out of the other side, but it's still so hard.

Had a great last week golf wise but still couldn't play to my handicap on Saturday.
I genuinely believe I was a superior golfer in 2016 to what I am now, despite putting my heart and soul into it the last couple of years.

To get the swing and mental side of it right, at the same time is so difficult.
I watched this weekends US Open with even more admiration than usual for the players. They truly are on a different level and it's amazing to see.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, the 'Game Improver Irons' thread has really got me thinking too, as my new irons have coincided with my big dip in form.
Went from the chunky to a nice looking low-mid handicapper iron and only recently have I started to think they could be part of my problem.
They have a very low MPF rating too :(

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site

I have had a lot of lessons. I can't understand how more lessons will help me when I can play the front 9 in level to 3 over then the back 9 in 10-12 over - and vice versa, from week to week.
I'm now firmly of the belief that it's more the mental side and that my head is responsible for the bad shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, the 'Game Improver Irons' thread has really got me thinking too, as my new irons have coincided with my big dip in form.
Went from the chunky to a nice looking low-mid handicapper iron and only recently have I started to think they could be part of my problem.
What handicap are you? My opinion is that it's pointless getting 'better player' irons unless your handicap is low single figures, as I don't reckon a player's swing would be consistent enough to get the best out of them above that. You want at least some forgiveness unless your swing is very consistent and repeatable.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
What handicap are you? My opinion is that it's pointless getting 'better player' irons unless your handicap is low single figures, as I don't reckon a player's swing would be consistent enough to get the best out of them above that. You want at least some forgiveness unless your swing is very consistent and repeatable.

Upgraded them when I got to 8 and was coming down fast.
Now at 12.

When I see that in black and white it seems pretty obvious to me that a return to the chunks is required

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
It is a hard game, just got my first cut in over a year, I also have lessons but as the other poster points out I can also shoot 1 or 2 over par 9 holes then 12 or 13 over the next nine. Very hard to focus for a full round. I'm not sure the bigger irons help but they may give you confidence as you look over the ball, which may be half the battle.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Upgraded them when I got to 8 and was coming down fast.
Now at 12.

When I see that in black and white it seems pretty obvious to me that a return to the chunks is required

What do you define as Chunks?
I play Srixon Z565's, wouldn't call them Chunks at all, but are perfect for the handicap bracket you appear to sit in.

I play off 8 for the record, and as much as we'd all love a new shiny set of blades, these do just the job and wont be replaced anytime soon!

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
is there a pattern for the poor shots?

Yes there's a certain unmentionable which never seems too far away, but there's also the hooks (which is a result of really trying not to do the unmentionable).

This thread though is really just to say, how difficult the game is when you're struggling.
Whilst playing on Saturday this realisation hit me. I'm normally deflated when playing a bad round, or angry, but this time I was just thinking to myself how hard the game is and how far away I feel from playing a good round - despite having some excellent holes.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is a hard game, just got my first cut in over a year, I also have lessons but as the other poster points out I can also shoot 1 or 2 over par 9 holes then 12 or 13 over the next nine. Very hard to focus for a full round. I'm not sure the bigger irons help but they may give you confidence as you look over the ball, which may be half the battle.

Do they not give you confidence over the front 9 though to shoot low scores?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you define as Chunks?
I play Srixon Z565's, wouldn't call them Chunks at all, but are perfect for the handicap bracket you appear to sit in.

I play off 8 for the record, and as much as we'd all love a new shiny set of blades, these do just the job and wont be replaced anytime soon!

Well the chunks as in the PING G10s or the Callaways I first had (forget the name of them but they were thick things with big backs).

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
JV, I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming you are fairly young-ish. The irons are unlikely to be the reason why your game got worse. Actually, there is a lot of evidence that game improvement irons are not as good as people think and even high handicappers might be better off with "normal" irons - you get more consistent distant dispersion with "normal" irons, which is all that matters. Anyway, now that you are thinking that the irons might be a problem, it's already in your head so you should probably go ahead and buy a new set.

Talking about your situation, it's rare to see someone going up from 8 to 12. You seem to put the right amount of effort into the game, so this isn't definitely due to lack of trying. One idea you should explore is whether you are practising the right things. Let me explain. The lower your handicap, the more skills you need to master. Your "practice" regime needs to change accordingly. What worked in getting you down to 8 might not allow you to get better from there. You start playing worse than your handicap, you get discouraged, you enter a negative spiral and you end up where you are today.

In my experience (I play off scratch), you should do two things. First, work hard on your on-course strategy - I'm sure you leave a lot of shots out there and part of becoming a better player is having a better strategy. This does not mean hitting irons off the tee, which is what people assume strategy is all about. This is mostly about learning to avoid double bogeys and being disciplined. If you hit it in the woods, chip it out. If you have a tight chip shot over a bunker to a tight flag, send it 15/20 feet past rather than trying to stiff it close etc. Secondly, try to vary your practice regime. Instead of bashing balls off a mat in perfect conditions, do practice shots from the rough, strange lies, half shots, low runners, hooks, fades etc. This will allow you to learn new skills.

Perhaps you'll tell me that you already do these things, in which case I'm sure other people will give you better advice :)

Finally, be honest in assessing what your plateu might be. If you are in your mid 50s, started playing golf in your 40s, hit the driver no more than 220/230, an hcp of 8 might be the best you can be! Which is ok!

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
JV, I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming you are fairly young-ish. The irons are unlikely to be the reason why your game got worse. Actually, there is a lot of evidence that game improvement irons are not as good as people think and even high handicappers might be better off with "normal" irons - you get more consistent distant dispersion with "normal" irons, which is all that matters. Anyway, now that you are thinking that the irons might be a problem, it's already in your head so you should probably go ahead and buy a new set.

Talking about your situation, it's rare to see someone going up from 8 to 12. You seem to put the right amount of effort into the game, so this isn't definitely due to lack of trying. One idea you should explore is whether you are practising the right things. Let me explain. The lower your handicap, the more skills you need to master. Your "practice" regime needs to change accordingly. What worked in getting you down to 8 might not allow you to get better from there. You start playing worse than your handicap, you get discouraged, you enter a negative spiral and you end up where you are today.

In my experience (I play off scratch), you should do two things. First, work hard on your on-course strategy - I'm sure you leave a lot of shots out there and part of becoming a better player is having a better strategy. This does not mean hitting irons off the tee, which is what people assume strategy is all about. This is mostly about learning to avoid double bogeys and being disciplined. If you hit it in the woods, chip it out. If you have a tight chip shot over a bunker to a tight flag, send it 15/20 feet past rather than trying to stiff it close etc. Secondly, try to vary your practice regime. Instead of bashing balls off a mat in perfect conditions, do practice shots from the rough, strange lies, half shots, low runners, hooks, fades etc. This will allow you to learn new skills.

Perhaps you'll tell me that you already do these things, in which case I'm sure other people will give you better advice :)

Finally, be honest in assessing what your plateu might be. If you are in your mid 50s, started playing golf in your 40s, hit the driver no more than 220/230, an hcp of 8 might be the best you can be! Which is ok!

Thanks very much for that. I can definitely relate to some of that.
I feel my strategy is good as I play with a lot of category 1 golfers. My game does suddenly go though and it's the same on the practice ground.
Even with structured practice, it will go from great results to disastrous in seconds.
I need to find out what's making me do that because it's happening consistently now.

I don't know if it's my body letting me down or concentration.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a git of a game

I shot a PB 79 gross last week. Breaking 80 for the first ever time.

Queue this weekend and i card a 107 gross, including a 13!!!! in the Medal.

Just been to the range and was hitting everything like a tour pro (well maybe 90% of the time ha)

stupid bloody game

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might just be a bit lazy with your PSR and alignment.
I am off five and am struggling after an ankle injury.
I can play level par for 9 holes then the wheels come off.
Lad playing with me yesterday said the bad shots were just aiming to far right with feet , and brain telling my hands the flag is left of where I was aiming.
Think he is right I do have that tendency in my game.
I am getting very frustrated at this and can’t put 18 holes together.

Just my opinion it’s very rarely the clubs it’s me and you .
Good luck in sorting it out.

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
Do they not give you confidence over the front 9 though to shoot low scores?

I have the Benross HTX type R's they are really not massive, for me it is not really irons I'm struggling with it is getting it safe into play off the tee, I tend to get confident, whip the driver out and smash it OOB. Best score this year is 81 and worst is 103 :-(

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

Sums it up for me, if your thinking it's the issue it probably is pal! Personally never understand why people change kit when it's working perfectly. it always takes time to adjust and feel right and as you've found out moving to a so called better PLAYERS club doesn't always work out.

If you have your old bats give them a go, see how it fairs !!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We all have to accept that golf is a capricious lover. Four weeks ago I could not hit a ball for toffee - and when I did it was skiting off the hosel with a ferocity and venom previously surely unknown to man.

But with a lesson and a bit of practice - over the weekend just gone I find myself striking the ball as well as I have ever done.

The good and evil of golf are but two sides of the one coin - and sometimes - when we have not been diligent in our work - we choose to toss the coin on the first tee. The coin will never be double-sided, but we can weight it to the good if we do what we have to do - and have patience and trust that all will be OK.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a difficult game and one we'll never get the better of. I wouldn't hit the panic button but keep plugging away. Maybe look at where the bad holes are coming, the shot that causes it and see if there is a pattern. Maybe it's fatigue, expectation or even dehydration