Obvious statement but have to say it...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it used to be very much the mental side that made the difference.

Bad morning, bad time getting the club, etc I tend to carry over to the first few holes.

One of the best lessons I had in my life I only hit about 10 balls. Nothing wrong with the swing came the comment from the Pro. The remaining 25 minutes of the lesson we just discussed mental attitude on the golf course and we narrowed it down to the fact that I was composing the winning speech on the first tee before hitting a single shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me it used to be very much the mental side that made the difference.

Bad morning, bad time getting the club, etc I tend to carry over to the first few holes.

One of the best lessons I had in my life I only hit about 10 balls. Nothing wrong with the swing came the comment from the Pro. The remaining 25 minutes of the lesson we just discussed mental attitude on the golf course and we narrowed it down to the fact that I was composing the winning speech on the first tee before hitting a single shot.

Funny enough I'm just starting to do some work with a guy called James Lambdon (http://www.thegolfpsych.co.uk/) or (@The_Golf_Psych on twitter). It's an area I need to improve from taking good warm up to the course, not getting ahead of myself when it goes well, dealing with bad shots, a clearer focus over the shot. Lots to be working on and great first meeting. Looking forward to seeing what he can do for me

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny enough I'm just starting to do some work with a guy called James Lambdon (http://www.thegolfpsych.co.uk/) or (@The_Golf_Psych on twitter). It's an area I need to improve from taking good warm up to the course, not getting ahead of myself when it goes well, dealing with bad shots, a clearer focus over the shot. Lots to be working on and great first meeting. Looking forward to seeing what he can do for me

What happened to NGT, that GM provided. Isn’t that the same message?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What handicap are you? My opinion is that it's pointless getting 'better player' irons unless your handicap is low single figures, as I don't reckon a player's swing would be consistent enough to get the best out of them above that. You want at least some forgiveness unless your swing is very consistent and repeatable.

At 8 I would think his swing must be fairly consistent

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just really wondered what the difference was. I downloaded the NGT book, and know someone who was on the course. The general consensus is that it was nonsense, nonsense that stated the obvious. What different about the next thing?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What happened to NGT, that GM provided. Isn’t that the same message?

Just a different take. I've been lax and not followed up on NGT (and would be interested to know if ANY of those that came to the Grove are still using it). To be fair, I've an opportunity to do some articles for an online magazine called Golfhacker on this subject and James Lambdon offered his services. Seems like a good opportunity to learn some new skills and it may help. As it's not cost me anything for the sessions booked it's a good price

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a different take. I've been lax and not followed up on NGT (and would be interested to know if ANY of those that came to the Grove are still using it). To be fair, I've an opportunity to do some articles for an online magazine called Golfhacker on this subject and James Lambdon offered his services. Seems like a good opportunity to learn some new skills and it may help. As it's not cost me anything for the sessions booked it's a good price

Good luck with it. I’ve read a book by bob rotella & the NGT download. They both left me a bit indifferent. I’d be interested in hearing what’s different about this next thing.

Re the OP. Golf is hard & a good round depends on an element of good luck IMO. A couple of decent bounces, an awful tee shot that doesn’t find trouble, 2-3 long putts that drop. There’s an element of good/bad fortune to every round. It just depends which side you end up on!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good luck with it. I’ve read a book by bob rotella & the NGT download. They both left me a bit indifferent. I’d be interested in hearing what’s different about this next thing.

Re the OP. Golf is hard & a good round depends on an element of good luck IMO. A couple of decent bounces, an awful tee shot that doesn’t find trouble, 2-3 long putts that drop. There’s an element of good/bad fortune to every round. It just depends which side you end up on!!

It's not a "this next thing" but simply a sports psychologist that's worked with county squads, some challenge tour pros, a ET player and a number of olympians from different sports. He's offered his time as part of the deal to do these articles for Golfhacker and saw my youtube and twitter feeds. The first meeting was very productive and some interesting stuff to look at already

D

Deleted member 15344

For me no amount of searching that people do for the Holy Grail will make up for the gap in natural talent - people will try all sorts and some people’s garages must be full of gadgets and books

Your last paragraph is spot , every good round will have that element of good luck all over it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

You are probably right. However as I've a minimum of three sessions including the next one doing practical work on a range and course, it's a great opportunity and a chance to simply try something different.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me no amount of searching that people do for the Holy Grail will make up for the gap in natural talent - people will try all sorts and some people’s garages must be full of gadgets and books

Your last paragraph is spot , every good round will have that element of good luck all over it

Harness the good, block out the bad!!! £50 please

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread with some good advice on it. For what its worth, I recently put my Srixon Z545's in the shed and changed to a less forgiving more bladed club, I did it for a reason (was hitting the ball too high with too much spin and wanted a more penetrating flight)...didnt make much of a difference at all. Not a sausage, but what I would say is that I was never under the illusion that it would improve my scores in a big way, did it because I didnt like getting pushed around in the wind.

For me, personally, the way to improve in most things is to keep improving the worst bit...which requires 2 things:
1) Knowing which is the worst bit of your game (so constant monitoring because it changes)
2) Adapting your practise and lessons to focus on your worst bits

Do that often enough and you will be likely to improve up to the point where there is a physical or mental barrier.
I would also add, that one has to be realistic with what they personally can achieve within the time they have to practise.
e.g. take a 13 year old healthy kid and give them 20 hours per week to practise and play
compared to
a 40 year old man who works long weeks at a desk and give them 8 hours per week to practise and play
...they will improve at different rates...but even so, eventually there is no guarantee that the kid will become a tour pro, nor that the 40 year old wont become a category 1 golfer.
Either way, its not life and death, and if it 'feels' like life and death to you, that will most certainly hurt your scores and progression