Obsessed With Equipment?

oo7ml

Visit site
Hi,

I went for a lesson last week, and the first thing that the Pro said to me was that my equipment (irons) were not right. He obviously wanted me and my friend (said the same to him) to buy new irons from him :)

I have 'non custom fitted' Titleist AP2 irons with a stiff shaft... however he said my irons were tilted slightly too much.

Some context...

- I'm 35
- I used to play a lot of golf up until I was 16 (I had a 9 HC then)
- From 17 - 35 I probably play at most 3 times a year... which i'm not about to change to weekly at a minimum :)
- When I was 16 I was using my Dads old clubs, so they were certainly not fitted for me... and I did manage to level par a few times around my local course (if only I had fitted clubs back then)

My Thoughts On Custom Fitted Clubs
- Yes of course they would make a difference, but i'm not sure how much of a difference when you are a 12 HC and I feel everyone these days are so obsessed with equipment, more than playing and enjoying golf (this is the biggest thing I have noticed since getting back into golf)
- If you are a low single figure golfer, then yes I think custom fitted would be worth changing clubs for
- How many of the 18 majors that Jack Nichlaus won, were with custom fitted irons :)?

My main point... are people (non single figure golfers) becoming too obsessed with equipment? Apologies if this has been covered before... i'm back / new to the game as such.

Thanks in advance for your feedback / thoughts.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Like many other hobbies (photography, hifi, brewing are examples that I have direct experience of) golf lends itself perfectly to Gas - gear acquisition syndrome... all the more so if the gear is shiny.

The constant striving to find "that" club or set of irons is ingrained in the psyche of nearly all golfers and is fed fuel by the "pushers and dealers" of the golf World - the major manufacturers who are always telling us that this year's release is better than last year's.

Personally... I'd go back to your pro and ask him, if all that is wrong is that they "are too tilted" (I'm guessing that the lie angle is out) to until them for you.

Feed him this morsel of an opportunity to gain a bit of your trust... If he obliges and adjusts your current irons then perhaps there's a chance you might go back to him when you decide the time is right for new clubs.

If he gets evasive and says it can't be done (without giving good reason why) take your potential future business elsewhere.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally am surprised a Pro would suggest this to you, unless he really thought it would help. And I mean really! If he is genuinely doing it to make a sale, then he is dreadful at his job.

I have actually suggested new clubs to coaches a few times when I've been getting lessons and they've completely dismissed the notion straight away. One guy actually took my club off me and started hitting shots to order, draw, fade etc. to demonstrate how little the club mattered.

People often make the cardinal error of thinking a new club would help them, but in reality how they swing whatever club they have is far more important. And what is much more important is practising and having good technique. In most cases, new clubs will make a marginal gain that many people would struggle to even notice.

I completely agree with your Thoughts and I would be inclined to spend more on lessons with a different pro, and practice / range balls etc rather than shelling out £300+ on new bats.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally am surprised a Pro would suggest this to you, unless he really thought it would help. And I mean really! If he is genuinely doing it to make a sale, then he is dreadful at his job.

I have actually suggested new clubs to coaches a few times when I've been getting lessons and they've completely dismissed the notion straight away. One guy actually took my club off me and started hitting shots to order, draw, fade etc. to demonstrate how little the club mattered.

People often make the cardinal error of thinking a new club would help them, but in reality how they swing whatever club they have is far more important. And what is much more important is practising and having good technique. In most cases, new clubs will make a marginal gain that many people would struggle to even notice.

I completely agree with your Thoughts and I would be inclined to spend more on lessons with a different pro, and practice / range balls etc rather than shelling out £300+ on new bats.

OMG you've just killed an industry!!!!!:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are a low single figure golfer, then yes I think custom fitted would be worth changing clubs for

This is what I believe. I've never done a custom fit for irons, at my handicap my swing isn't particularly consistent from day to day. Let's say I was hitting hooks in the fitting, he would be fitting me clubs to cater for that, but the next time I play I could be hitting fades. I had a 'fitting' for my irons, but that was really a glorified term for going down A.G. and trying all the latest irons out to see which ones I liked the feel of. There was no customisation or anything. I went and bought my favourites second hand from a different A.G. a week or two later. I don't think I'd consider a full custom fit unless I was single figures at least, as you say.

That said, it's worth finding equipment that feels right to you. I wouldn't be happy to go out and play with any old bundle of sticks. I've tried out a few options in every club and ended up sticking with the ones that give me the most confidence. I'd say that's important. Particularly for a higher handicapper like me, you want to feel like your clubs are quite forgiving for the most part.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I think everyone, regardless of their handicap, would benefit from a proper custom fitting, definitely don't go AG!

I've never understood why amateurs don't i.e. if having your lie angle adjusted 1 degree means you hit less of a hook and find the green 5% more often, why would you not want to?

If having one type of shaft over another gives you a better feeling and tightens up your overall dispersion, why wouldn't you want that?

I'm currently playing 2nd hand clubs, that I wasn't fitted for, but my next set will 100% be fitted as I'm now at a point with my game where I want more control and tighter dispersion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think everyone, regardless of their handicap, would benefit from a proper custom fitting, definitely don't go AG!

I've never understood why amateurs don't i.e. if having your lie angle adjusted 1 degree means you hit less of a hook and find the green 5% more often, why would you not want to?

If having one type of shaft over another gives you a better feeling and tightens up your overall dispersion, why wouldn't you want that?

I'm currently playing 2nd hand clubs, that I wasn't fitted for, but my next set will 100% be fitted as I'm now at a point with my game where I want more control and tighter dispersion.
Because of what I said above. A high handicapper's swing isn't always consistent from one week to the next. Adjusting the clubs 1 degree might fix a hook that, but in a week's time it might cause a slice. There are some obvious ones like if you're really tall you'll probably need longer clubs, but to pay a lot of money for minute detail I don't think is worthwhile unless you know your swing is very consistent.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm in the 'get fitted camp' my AP 1's are 4 degrees up - just think if they were standard how much further I'd miss greens !

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because of what I said above. A high handicapper's swing isn't always consistent from one week to the next. Adjusting the clubs 1 degree might fix a hook that, but in a week's time it might cause a slice. There are some obvious ones like if you're really tall you'll probably need longer clubs, but to pay a lot of money for minute detail I don't think is worthwhile unless you know your swing is very consistent.
If you not having any lessons just playing once a week your swing will not be changing on a regular basis and regardless your handicap your swing will have some consistency. What you forgetting is some of the higher handicapers might be a good iron players but lacking skills in other areas of the game.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Neither is this single figure handicappers...

DCB

Visit site
When I had my first Custom Fitting 25 years ago, it was a big deal. Took quite a while and didn't involve any real tech at all. Last one was so much easier, lots of tech and of course lots more to choose from. I was tempted to go t a "new" shaft as a result, what a difference a lighter shaft made. If you're spending £5-600 on a set of irons why not get them fitted, it probably won't cost you any more and will certainly make life easier than a bog standard off the shelf

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
If there not fitted and you like the clubs but want to get fitted see a reputable pro with a loft/lie machine.

They can tweak them as required to ensure the lie is right for you. Circa £5 max a club and probably a £20 fitting session. Best £50 you can spend.

I very much think if the resource is there it should be used, if you have a consistent swing fitting is brilliant and something that shouldn't be overlooked. I do understand your point if there are swing inconsistencies that can't be fitted for.

Unfortunately they are cowboys also who will try and rip people off, probably fit you with clubs you can't hit as well as your own now also.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been fitted throughout my bag, Driver to Putter.

I started with my Srixons off 21. Currently play off 8. I'm not saying the clubs are behind the success, as I practiced a huge amount last year to get the cuts I did. But having the clubs fitted for me gave me trust in the clubs.

I'm fairly confident I could pick up a set of clubs off the shelf and get on ok with them, but knowing mine are set for me certianly helps me!

Although.....It doesn't stop me wanting to change from the 565's to the 7 or 965s!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm in the 'get fitted camp' my AP 1's are 4 degrees up - just think if they were standard how much further I'd miss greens !

Serious question. 4 up is on the limit for bending, could you not adjust your actual stance to use more standard clubs?

Is it a faulty or comfortable stance that requires you to need 4 up?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It matters, and matters more if you have an odd body lol. I'm very tall and have irons extended an inch and lie 3 up. If your fitting is closer to standard then fitting will make less difference, but every little helps I'm told

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Serious question. 4 up is on the limit for bending, could you not adjust your actual stance to use more standard clubs?

Is it a faulty or comfortable stance that requires you to need 4 up?

It's not the club position at set up that affects the lie angle, it's when the ball is struck. I guess my hands come in a little higher through impact. Its easier to order 4* upright than to change the swing, and, after all is said and done 4* is a relatively small angle in reality. Also my pro has promised to alter the lie of my clubs free if ever I need him to

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

- How many of the 18 majors that Jack Nichlaus won, were with custom fitted irons :)?

Probably most if not all of them. For most of his playing career he was sponsored by MacGregor and played forged blade clubs which are very easy to bend to the right spec and back in this days shaft options were very limited.

Arnold Palmer is famed for having his own workshop and making sure that clubs were to his exact specifications.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not the club position at set up that affects the lie angle, it's when the ball is struck. I guess my hands come in a little higher through impact. Its easier to order 4* upright than to change the swing, and, after all is said and done 4* is a relatively small angle in reality. Also my pro has promised to alter the lie of my clubs free if ever I need him to

Good point. The 4 degrees kicks in at impact. I had my lies adjusted and they made a great difference in the shape of the divots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still in the "fitted" camp even though my latest irons were picked up off the shelf second hand. As for obsessed with equipment then guilty as charged. I love trying new releases and different models from driver to putter